Notices

Forge Motorsport VTA Dump Valve Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2011, 05:42 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Forge Motorsport VTA Dump Valve Problem

Today my car a 2003 JDM STi starting making unusual air release noises upon gear change and could not hold idle and cut out on me. This was in the morning going to work.

When I left work tonight and started it up it seemed okay until it warmed up. Again struggling to hold idle. Got the car in the garage and watched the dump valve. Car normally once warm will idle at 800 to 900 rpm which is normal for the JDM car. It was not holding this and dropping to about 200rpm and just before cutting out I observed the VTA Dump valve click and some movement inside and the revs recovered.

So is it a case the dump valve is knacked and I need a new one or is it the needle or something that wants changing?

For reference I have had no problems with this DV as it has been on the car since Feb-06 and approx 35,000 miles.

Any constructive advice appreciated.
Old 08 July 2011, 06:05 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

Forge dump valves are one of the worst you can get.have just taken hks ssv off mine and gone back to standard one.runs lot smoother.just got to get rid of it now
Old 08 July 2011, 06:09 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcevs72
Forge dump valves are one of the worst you can get.have just taken hks ssv off mine and gone back to standard one.runs lot smoother.just got to get rid of it now
Can't be that bad it's lasted 5 years and 35,000 miles?
Old 08 July 2011, 06:38 PM
VXRT
Scooby Regular

Forge Motorsport Products are brilliant. I have done alot of work for john and Chris thee and the amount of effort and testing that goes in to them is unreal. If anything the HKS gear is more prone to problems due to have too many moving internals and siquential vent ports. Forge stuff rquires no tuning in as they are designed to fit out the box and be perfect.

Call John from orge and tell him a guy called Joe has told you to callhim regards to the issue. I recomend you take the valve apart and look for obvious faults so you can then tell him what they are. I assure you that he will replace he parts for next to nothing as they have great customer care and after sales whether its 5 months or 5 years.
Old 08 July 2011, 07:25 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

strip the dump valve down mate, You'll find the small helper spring inside the unit will have broken a coil off. You can buy these from forge direct for a couple of quid and you can fix and fit them yourself. Hope this helps.
Old 08 July 2011, 07:48 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above replace Spring in Forge DV and hopefully will be OK.
Forge are good DV or Recirc...

Jura
Old 08 July 2011, 08:11 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies guys.

Probably speak to Forge on Monday.
Old 08 July 2011, 08:55 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Went out took DV off and tried to undo allen nuts and two rounded

This is the one I have.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...roduct=FMDV004

So I might revert back to the OEM DV but as I am running a FMIC I need an adaptor plate. So need to price up sending valve back to Forge or go back to OEM.
Old 08 July 2011, 09:12 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Went out took DV off and tried to undo allen nuts and two rounded

This is the one I have.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...roduct=FMDV004

So I might revert back to the OEM DV but as I am running a FMIC I need an adaptor plate. So need to price up sending valve back to Forge or go back to OEM.
Here is how to replace spring in Forge

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...mpValveService

About the reverting to OEM Recirc,i would suggest contact here Harvey which selling adapter plate.

Jura
Old 09 July 2011, 08:53 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine was one of the first made for a Newage, still going strong, and it's been my car for over nine years.

Spring or diaphragm, Forge do an upgrade kit with a variety of shims, springs, even includes some silicon grease.

If you are desperate you can borrow mine as I'm SORN'd. But the car is in Pontefract, and I'm in Wakefield...

dunx

P.S. Also ended up with a AET turbo that uses a Forge actuator... You are welcome to PM me a mobile number as I'm not going anywhere..

Last edited by dunx; 09 July 2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11 July 2011, 12:58 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Jura,

Thanks for the link will probably refer to that.

Dunx,

Many thanks for the offer.

I have spoke to John at Forge this morning who was very helpful and he suggested I have another go at geeting the allen bolts out. So I am gonna give that another go tonight and see what happens. Hopefully I can get away with just spring kit then.

Damian.
Old 11 July 2011, 08:24 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Took DV off tonight and put some copper grease on the allen bolts and left while I went for my tea When I went back to it rather than use a allen key I pulled out some sockets I have with allen heads and one fit the allen bolt. Using this they came out easily Opened up the DV and the bottom smaller spring has snapped in half so definately the DV causing the issues. So John has saved me a bit of cash there as I just need a spring kit at £20

Out of interest the engine management light came on tonight and I have a PSi monitor so looked up the error code which was P0172. I then looked this up and it said 'Lambda Sensor Fault' er not this time.
Old 11 July 2011, 08:37 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Took DV off tonight and put some copper grease on the allen bolts and left while I went for my tea When I went back to it rather than use a allen key I pulled out some sockets I have with allen heads and one fit the allen bolt. Using this they came out easily Opened up the DV and the bottom smaller spring has snapped in half so definately the DV causing the issues. So John has saved me a bit of cash there as I just need a spring kit at £20

Out of interest the engine management light came on tonight and I have a PSi monitor so looked up the error code which was P0172. I then looked this up and it said 'Lambda Sensor Fault' er not this time.
Running rich bank 1, Could be down to the dv fault mate, Fix the dump valve reset the code and try it again it shouldnt come back on again