Notices

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2011, 01:46 PM
kyle2k10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please

cars been away a few weeks at a garage getting a legacy engine put in as mine knocked a bearing out

anyways got car back and its not boosting right and on top of engine i have noticed 2 thin pipes on the head one has no tube attached and is sucking in air surely this should be attached to something (tube on right hand side if your looking from front has no pipe connected and is sucking air)

thanks all

[IMG=http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4977/imag0072r.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by kyle2k10; 09 August 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 09 August 2011, 03:45 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

It needs blanking off mate or the boost will just be escaping. And the car will be drawing unmetered air on tickover.
Old 09 August 2011, 03:53 PM
kyle2k10
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for quick reply garage also look to ave fitted a new/diffrent filter pipe i have a small filter fitted to one of the necks but on the other side there is a whole about size of finger that not bunged or anything should that be capped aswell?

thanks

Last edited by kyle2k10; 09 August 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09 August 2011, 05:22 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

The engine should be drawing in air through the filter only, any holes after the filter should be blocked and not allowed to suck in air. I see you have a VTA dump valve so the hole for the original re circ should be blocked, I cant see from your pic where the little filter is connected to but I presume from what you say that someone has connected it to the intake pipe which is not right. Small filters like that are usually vents for oil breather system ? If you mean there is a hole in the back part of the filter then that will be for oil fumes from breather system.
Old 09 August 2011, 05:58 PM
kyle2k10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wr pete
The engine should be drawing in air through the filter only, any holes after the filter should be blocked and not allowed to suck in air. I see you have a VTA dump valve so the hole for the original re circ should be blocked, I cant see from your pic where the little filter is connected to but I presume from what you say that someone has connected it to the intake pipe which is not right. Small filters like that are usually vents for oil breather system ? If you mean there is a hole in the back part of the filter then that will be for oil fumes from breather system.
thanks for quick reply i have attached a few photos of the pipe

Old 09 August 2011, 06:22 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

Yes mate the hole needs blocking up, try a bolt with a tie wrap round to hold it in if you can't find anything to block it with. If the small filter is connected to the same pipe then that needs blocking aswell. I can see you have the VTA connected to the hot side of the Intercooler, really it should be on the cold side after the Intercooler and as close to the throttle body as poss. But I doubt that is causing your running issues, it will just work better the closer to the throttle it is.