Notices

what brakes & wheels for classic track use?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2011, 02:16 PM
Russell wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what brakes & wheels for classic track use?

Hi all
I have a 1995 wrx with standard wheels and standard 2 pot brakes. I would like to know what is a good upgrade that can handle a bit of track use? Also will i need bigger wheels to fit them or just spacers?

Is there anything else i should do to prep the car for a track day to make it more reliable like a oil cooler or anything like that? Im not bothered about more power atm but just want to make it last as long as possible

Last edited by Russell wrx; 26 October 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 26 October 2011, 03:05 PM
oobyJu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

choice in ascending prices are 2nd hand/recon 4 pots from a newage which am told is big improvement and fit behind your wheels, same with big brake kit like the godspeed one (talk 2 Ian Godney on here lots good stuff) they have 2 piece discs which can take more heat before fading and bigger pads but will need 17" rims. Then there's 2nd hand Brembos will need 18" wheels for them which am also told don't work well on a classic, look nice but allegedly not much if any better than the big brake kit. If you're rich then AP 4 pots fit behind 17"'s and 6 pots 18"'s, the best for track use but bit harsh for the road best compromise seems to be the goodspeed kit, group buy anyone?
Oil cooler very good idea if going on track and good oil like motul or fusch one (talk to "the oilman" on here @ opie oils)

Last edited by oobyJu; 26 October 2011 at 03:08 PM.