Notices

Fitting oil temp and pressure senders.

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2011, 01:05 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting oil temp and pressure senders.

Right I have searched and looked around but have a couple of questions.

Would it be better to leave the OEM pressure switch in place and fit one of these to the third cylinder bung

to run the temp and pressure senders.

Or would it be best to fit the pipe to the bung under the alternator to run both pressure senders/switches, and the temp gauge alone from the third cylinder bung??

I`ve these for plumbing the pipe in.

Just thinking that the length of hose will affect temperature, and that the pressure in a fluid is the same throughout the pipes/galleries??

Also how do you "prime" the pipe so that it doesn`t get an air bubble inside so affecting it working??

Last edited by Jimbob; 15 December 2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 15 December 2011, 04:36 AM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

You cannot use a hose type extension for oil temperature.
The hose creates a dead end, where temperature measurement is way off, pressure measurement is ok though.

If you want to use a hose extension (for extra clearance) I would use the third cilinder bung for both pressure sensors (most likely that you'll have to lengthen the stock idiot light sensor wiring) and use the alternator bung for temperature.

The temperature sernder is quite a bit smaller then a pressure sender, so putting it under the alternator directly , without hoses etc can be done easily.
Old 15 December 2011, 06:53 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i fitted mine i used the cylinder three bung for temperature and used the same extension as one above for the pressure(its fitted under alternator) then extended the original wiring from oil pressure light on the dash so that works too.
Old 15 December 2011, 05:06 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dutch Scooby lover
You cannot use a hose type extension for oil temperature.
The hose creates a dead end, where temperature measurement is way off, pressure measurement is ok though.

If you want to use a hose extension (for extra clearance) I would use the third cilinder bung for both pressure sensors (most likely that you'll have to lengthen the stock idiot light sensor wiring) and use the alternator bung for temperature.

The temperature sernder is quite a bit smaller then a pressure sender, so putting it under the alternator directly , without hoses etc can be done easily.
Originally Posted by tubbytommy
when i fitted mine i used the cylinder three bung for temperature and used the same extension as one above for the pressure(its fitted under alternator) then extended the original wiring from oil pressure light on the dash so that works too.
Cheers guys so I was right in asking.
Makes a lot more sense having the temp gauge in the "flow" so to say, so will probably put the temp sensor in the rear 3rd cylinder bung, and the two pressure senders together on the front.

Has anyone had any issues with the remote pipe having air bubbles?? My thinking is that you`d have to prime the pipe by putting oil into the pipe and then fitting the senders??