Notices

downpipe cracked

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2012, 03:22 AM
scooby red
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downpipe cracked

Just found a hairline crack on a weld (turbo end) on a used downpipe i'm fitting on thurs. Hopefully get it welded at work this week if not whats a reasonable price to pay for the repair. Or should i lob it in the bin and buy new? cheers
Old 31 January 2012, 12:22 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

I assume its stainless steel. If its cracked on the weld then I see no problem with getting it re-welded. I would expect them to gouge it with a grinder then replace the cracked bit although welding directly over the crack would probably be okay too. Tig welding would be the neatest although I believe mig will also do fine if thats the kit they have got. If its mig avoid getting any weld spatter in the bolt holes by putting a nut & bolt in there as it can be an **** to drill out, check for spatter on the mating face too, think about the size of the weld and make sure the nuts will still sit flush on the clamping face, & obviously let it cool nautrally dont quench it in water to cool it! If you are getting welding done you may want to add a boss for a wideband 02 sensor at the same time if thats something you may need either now or in the future. You can buy the boss with a blanking plug so it can be blocked until needed. As for cost maybe £35 per hour plus a couple of quid for materials but to just prepare & weld a 1" crack would take about 10 minutes tops. Not an expert but hope this helps.
Old 31 January 2012, 12:57 PM
scooby red
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying mate. Was gonna attempt repair myself but not welded for a while, it would of looked like a piece of crap. Hopefully its been done for me today whilst i'd been sleeping off nights.