running in new disks and pads?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2012, 02:35 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running in new disks and pads?

hello,

to be honest ive never had a car with brand new disks and pads all round ever! (shows what cars ive had before! ) how do i go about "running them in and how long/miles does it take?, got me scooby 4 pots, with godspeed disks and pads front and rear all new just fitted replacing my chocholate 2 pots with old disks and standard pads on lol...

just dont break hard??? any tips?

cheers!
Old 12 February 2012, 02:38 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere halfway between heaven and hell, some call it earth!

Avoid harsh braking for the first 500 miles
Old 12 February 2012, 02:40 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Seconded. Smooth progressive braking. Back street stop start blasts need to be put on hold for a while.
Old 12 February 2012, 05:10 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Mail ian he will give you a sheet, from memory it was light brakes for 300 miles then brake from 70 down wards sharpish but don't come to full stop the brakes need to cool. Im sure he will confirm
Old 12 February 2012, 06:45 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

You need to apply pad material onto the discs using hard braking from around 60 to near stop, then back to 60 and near stop, repeated 5 or 6 times the discs will be very hot and likely smoking but will have a greyish blue tinge from the transfer of pad material onto them, this gives the discs there grip. Also avoid keeping pressure applied at this point or the discs will buckle.
That is how i was taught to bed brakes in and have done it like that with great results for a while now but is just my own opinion.
Thanks Ian.
Old 12 February 2012, 07:50 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TH3_5T1G
Avoid harsh braking for the first 500 miles
It's only bedding some pads in, not running an engine in.

If they aren't bedded in after 50 miles, then they never will be. As above they need a bit of heat cycling to prevent warping.

Last time I changed both disc and pads, they were bedded in after about 10 miles.

IMHO
Old 13 February 2012, 11:49 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianbott
You need to apply pad material onto the discs using hard braking from around 60 to near stop, then back to 60 and near stop, repeated 5 or 6 times the discs will be very hot and likely smoking but will have a greyish blue tinge from the transfer of pad material onto them, this gives the discs there grip. Also avoid keeping pressure applied at this point or the discs will buckle.
That is how i was taught to bed brakes in and have done it like that with great results for a while now but is just my own opinion.
Thanks Ian.

What Ian said, but I let mine cool between stops to "harden" them up a bit.....

Trending Topics

Old 13 February 2012, 12:20 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

There so much myth and bullshizzle that gets spoken about brakes!

Firstly, discs dont warp! it just doesnt happen! They can crack if theyre crap discs (especially drilled ones).

When people refer to warped discs they are 99% referring to uneven build up of pad material on the discs creating a rippled feel .... this will get worse as time goes on as the ripple is self perpetuating.

To bed in new brakes, go out on quiet roads with a window partly down and do 10 repetitions of 60 to 5mph hard stops. After the 5th or 6th you should start to smell burning brakes .... this is normal as its the release agent from the pad moulding being burnt off and a thin layer of pad material adhering to the disc surface.

During this process it is VERY important not to stop any wheel completely as this will advhere a ridged high spot of pad material where the pad has sat in one place on the disc .... again, this ridge is self perpetuating so may not be noticable at first but over time will get worse.

Once the 10 big stops have been done, drive for a few more miles with as little braking as possible to ensure theyve cooled down before parking up.

Brakes bedded!

Some people say repeating this process once theyve cooled down helps the initial bite, but thats on old school race pads, the much more usable and less compromised modern track day pads shouldnt show any extra difference.
Old 13 February 2012, 07:26 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere halfway between heaven and hell, some call it earth!

Originally Posted by mickywrx
It's only bedding some pads in, not running an engine in.

If they aren't bedded in after 50 miles, then they never will be. As above they need a bit of heat cycling to prevent warping.

Last time I changed both disc and pads, they were bedded in after about 10 miles.

IMHO
Just going on the info i've always seen in the box when fitting new pads. Most have always come with a hanger to put on the indicator stalk for the customers indicating 'Avoid harsh braking for first 500 miles'