01 Legacy B4 box into a 98 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2012, 02:05 AM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Legacy B4 box into a 98 Classic

Hi lads,

I know this can be done, has anyone experience with them?Strength etc?
Old 21 March 2012, 10:22 AM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Good question, we're currently discussing gearboxes in the classic tuning thread. Very difficult to bust through the myth and rumour surrounding classic 5 speed boxes!

MY01 legacy B4 boxes were an evolution of the MY99-MY00 legacy B4 boxes, which in turn were identical to the boxes fitted to the MY99-MY00 impreza STis. These *seem* to be good for a bit more power than some other 5-speed boxes, many P1 owners running 400bhp-450bhp on them, assuming the good bits were carried over from MY00 to MY01 (I'd be surprised if they weren't).

You need to make sure the final drive matches, but based on info I have for a v4 STi wagon (was your original box TY752VBCAA?) the final drives should match (4.44). Out of curiousity, did your old gearbox break, or are you replacing for preventative reasons?
Old 21 March 2012, 07:32 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Hi mate sorry for the late reply, yes there is a Ty752VBCAA in my wagon, I broke 4th gear in it ,after having some work done on it last month I reckon it was not built correctly.Its for the bin .Can only get 3rd, 5th and reverse now in it.

I know the Leggy personally its a 01 and have worked on it in the past, nice low mileage and unmodified. So you reckon I do not need to swap out the rear diffs? I need to make deadly sure of this so I dont break the center diff in the new box.
Old 21 March 2012, 08:03 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baz82
Hi mate sorry for the late reply, yes there is a Ty752VBCAA in my wagon, I broke 4th gear in it ,after having some work done on it last month I reckon it was not built correctly.Its for the bin .Can only get 3rd, 5th and reverse now in it.

I know the Leggy personally its a 01 and have worked on it in the past, nice low mileage and unmodified. So you reckon I do not need to swap out the rear diffs? I need to make deadly sure of this so I dont break the center diff in the new box.
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out the relative strengths of different gearboxes and I have a hunch that the TY752VBCAA is not as strong as the box fitted to the type R of the same age - but I'll note your box may have broken for a different reason, so I won't include it at this stage!

There is a list of final drives in the classic tuning thread (see post here). How much you want to trust in data obtained from the internet is up to you! It lists the diffs as being the same, but of course swapping the rear diffs as well leaves absolutely no room for possible error, which as you note could easily break the 'box.
Old 21 March 2012, 08:20 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out the relative strengths of different gearboxes and I have a hunch that the TY752VBCAA is not as strong as the box fitted to the type R of the same age - but I'll note your box may have broken for a different reason, so I won't include it at this stage!

There is a list of final drives in the classic tuning thread (see post here). How much you want to trust in data obtained from the internet is up to you! It lists the diffs as being the same, but of course swapping the rear diffs as well leaves absolutely no room for possible error, which as you note could easily break the 'box.
I think maybe best Idea to swap out the diffs also just to be 100% sure
Old 21 March 2012, 11:55 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Another point worth noting: the legacy may have a longer throw on the shift. If possible look to retaining the appropriate components from your existing impreza box to keep the shorter shift. (I assume they are a straight swap between the boxes but don't know for sure?)
Old 22 March 2012, 01:41 AM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
Another point worth noting: the legacy may have a longer throw on the shift. If possible look to retaining the appropriate components from your existing impreza box to keep the shorter shift. (I assume they are a straight swap between the boxes but don't know for sure?)
They do yes I use to have a legacy back in 2008 , definetly a longer throw