Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Turbo? What Power?

Ok, my94 WRX fairly untouched.
Z4 ECU
Apexi Panel filter
Decat centre
"WrSport?" back-box.

But i'm now putting together a 2.1. These are the parts aimed for....
Wiseco 92.5mm piston's
Crower Rods
EJ257 crank
V3 STI Heads
And i'll be looking for a fairly moderate 8:1 compression ratio.
So at this point i'm starting to consider what injectors/turbo to add considering my target is 400BHP/Ib. Obviously a FMIC/induction kit is very likely as well. Also i'd have to consider MAF setup (I have no clue about green label's etc).

So my question really is what size injectors should i be considering and which Turbo?. I've read that a TD05 20G maxes out around the 400 mark?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 21 March 2012, 08:23 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SC38 or SC40 Billet are very good on 2.1 strokers and would make your target assuming you have all the right bits.
Forget the MAF and fit an aftermarket system that ditches it in favour of a MAP sensor.
Injectors 740cc and a decent pump.
The other thing I would recommend is front entry converting the engine while it's apart.

From this

To this

You can of course use a silicone inlet pipe under the manifold, but we just happened to have a stock one to hand for this job.
Old 21 March 2012, 08:36 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Thanks Martin, whats the benefits of the front entry?
Old 21 March 2012, 08:55 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

you kept the small slanty ic bud? what power did that engine make with that still on?
Old 21 March 2012, 09:21 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Syvecs for the win
Old 21 March 2012, 10:41 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Syvecs for the win
So i hear, but i'm not sure if its required or whether i'd go ESL through JGM.
Old 21 March 2012, 11:07 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I did 398 on V power on a 2 litre with V3/4 heads on a 20G with MAFless ESL on Zens rollers, but believe that might be the exception rather than the rule. Wish I'd added a splash of meth now to see where that took me.
Old 21 March 2012, 11:18 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
I did 398 on V power on a 2 litre with V3/4 heads on a 20G with MAFless ESL on Zens rollers, but believe that might be the exception rather than the rule. Wish I'd added a splash of meth now to see where that took me.
Any idea what the rest of the set up was Andy?
Old 21 March 2012, 11:31 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Omega pistons, Arrow rods, CDB, RCMS pump, old school ESL board (the new ones are better), FMIC, 780cc injectors, ported OEM exhaust manifold, decat, big K&N air filter. I'll see if I can find the graphs but from memory was running 11.5:1 AFR, 1.5bar boost and mid to late 20s advance. I ran a six speed with it. Early 20G was a touch laggy and I'd have thought the response from the SC billet turbos would be much better, especially with a 2.1.

Was still a great laugh to drive though. Was in a shonky old wagon that was the testbed for the MAFless algorithm. I remember reeling in a DB9 that was going for it, much to the drivers chagrin. It even had a towbar.
Old 21 March 2012, 11:43 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Omega pistons, Arrow rods, CDB, RCMS pump, old school ESL board (the new ones are better), FMIC, 780cc injectors, ported OEM exhaust manifold, decat, big K&N air filter. I'll see if I can find the graphs but from memory was running 11.5:1 AFR, 1.5bar boost and mid to late 20s advance. I ran a six speed with it. Early 20G was a touch laggy and I'd have thought the response from the SC billet turbos would be much better, especially with a 2.1.

Was still a great laugh to drive though. Was in a shonky old wagon that was the testbed for the MAFless algorithm. I remember reeling in a DB9 that was going for it, much to the drivers chagrin. It even had a towbar.
Lol, Well this is what i'm after really. 400 isn't a must but i'd rather have an "if you do x,y,z you could hit the target.
Its a shame a 2.1 wouldn't be built as standard, IE using all OEM parts except those forged so i know what i'd be starting with then adding to.
Old 21 March 2012, 11:55 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean, those targets can be a bit artificial. I'm always amazed at the det resistance of a 20% Meth mix as a cheap way to add power, we've seen 8 degrees extra advance at peak torque between that and straight SUL, which is significant. Add in the cooling benefits and a twin map system and it seems rude not to tbh.

I've heard good things about the 2.1, it doesn't seem like a big increase in capacity but it certainly affects the drive quality in a positive way. I've always stuck with 2.0 litre engines as I have a couple of spare forged ones in the garage.
Old 21 March 2012, 11:59 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Oh, forgot I had a Walboro 255 on it and the turbo was front entry like Martyn suggests above.
Old 21 March 2012, 12:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
So i hear, but i'm not sure if its required or whether i'd go ESL through JGM.
so you spend a fortune on engine parts, then scripm on what controls it all?

sounds a bit harsh when you say it that way, but no way i'd want to use the oem ecu for a full custom build engine.

Ecu is most critical thing on it, get that wrong and rest is a total waste of time.
Old 21 March 2012, 12:13 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

He's not scrimping though is he Tidgy? And he's not talking about an OEM ECU. The ESL has 3 stage knock control, OEM closed loop idle, twin maps, MAF/MAFless switching, 3d boost control, full diagnostics and a host of other features. We've run 400 and 500hp cars without issue, they idle like stock, start on the first turn of the key whether hot or cold and its only evident that they are not OEM when you put your foot down.

While the Syvecs is undoubtedly a fine ECU, it takes a fair chunk of a tuning budget. There is absolutely no reason not to run a full custom engine build on an ESL ECU, I've been doing just that for years.

Don't mistake 'good value' for 'cheap'.
Old 21 March 2012, 01:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

the ability to do somethign and how well it actualy does it are two totlay differen't things, cheap normaly means it missed something, yoru right this isn't always the case, but you do tend to find it works out that way in 99% of cases.
Old 21 March 2012, 01:46 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

With respect, that sounds more like an opinion rather than an argument based in fact. If you want to research more thoroughly, here is a starting point:
www.enduringsolutions.com/Manual.pdf
Old 21 March 2012, 01:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

With respect, that sounds more like an opinion rather than an argument based in fact. If you want to research more thoroughly, here is a starting point:
www.enduringsolutions.com/Manual.pdf

im not commenting on any specific product matey, all im saying is you tend to get what you pay for
Old 21 March 2012, 02:07 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I've not really considered which ECU i'd use, its a long long way off. When i'm closer i'll ask the experts what i require and go from there.
Old 22 March 2012, 11:33 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Here's one that has just been done. 20G on a forged 2.5 rather than 2.1 but apparently it flies.

http://trackhound.co.uk/2012/03/18/1...ed-and-mapped/
Old 22 March 2012, 01:39 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Would an ESL daughter board work from a Z4?
Old 22 March 2012, 01:48 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
im not commenting on any specific product matey, all im saying is you tend to get what you pay for
Tidgy, hope you don't mind me asking, how much is the mappable closed loop knock control option on the Syvecs and do you know roughly how much mapping time did it take to set up just that element properly for your car?

(With apologies to OP for straying off topic a bit)
Old 22 March 2012, 01:49 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

It will work with any 4 plug JECS ECU, Z4 included. The 4 plug motherboards are all interchangeable. We put the 6K (PPP/276hp) on as a base map.
Old 22 March 2012, 01:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
Tidgy, hope you don't mind me asking, how much is the mappable closed loop knock control option on the Syvecs and do you know roughly how much mapping time did it take to set up just that element properly for your car?

(With apologies to OP for straying off topic a bit)

not got syvecs on mine matey, i went autronics due to syvecs not being around at the time was about 6 months befor eit came out.

As far as mapping time etc sure pat can advise, would have though all setup time would be included in the price though.
Old 22 March 2012, 02:12 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

It will work with any 4 plug JECS ECU, Z4 included. The 4 plug motherboards are all interchangeable. We put the 6K (PPP/276hp) on as a base map.
Apologies if i'm reading this wrong, but do you mean you send them out with a specific map?.
I will, at some point in the distant future if all goes well, require a running in map for 1k and then obviously after that see what can be achieved. Although i'm not a big fan of using meth.
Old 22 March 2012, 02:14 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

OK, thanks Tidgy

(Back on topic now!)
Old 22 March 2012, 02:19 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
Apologies if i'm reading this wrong, but do you mean you send them out with a specific map?.
I will, at some point in the distant future if all goes well, require a running in map for 1k and then obviously after that see what can be achieved. Although i'm not a big fan of using meth.
No, we send all 97/8 maps out with the stock map on (map 1 and 2). 92/6 all get the PPP map.

You cannot tune a car blind, so we don't swerve from the standard maps when they get sent out. Tried it with postal maps years ok, doesn't work well.
Old 22 March 2012, 06:03 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

No, we send all 97/8 maps out with the stock map on (map 1 and 2). 92/6 all get the PPP map.

You cannot tune a car blind, so we don't swerve from the standard maps when they get sent out. Tried it with postal maps years ok, doesn't work well.
I thought so lol, so i'm going to need to have a map at mine once the engine goes in.
Old 22 March 2012, 06:11 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of mobile mappers. You can run in on the base map if you disconnect the wastegate actuator arm so it won't boost, use a light throttle and don't use high engine speeds.
Old 23 March 2012, 07:36 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of mobile mappers. You can run in on the base map if you disconnect the wastegate actuator arm so it won't boost, use a light throttle and don't use high engine speeds.
How would i prevent it running lean/rich though?
Old 23 March 2012, 09:46 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

In MAF mode the fuelling table is specified in AFR and the ECU will trim as required as long as you have a working lambda sensor. There are limits to this in respect of injector size. If going MAFless straight away, you will need the attention of a mapper. I'm sure there would be a deal to be had if you wanted an initial running in map and a follow up full power map.

Quick Reply: What Turbo? What Power?