Notices

De-cat up pipe with no Lamda ???

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2012, 03:20 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-cat up pipe with no Lamda ???

I have recently bought a solid de-cat up pipe for my bugeye turbo. Instead of the EGT boss being absent, my pipe has the EGT fitting and drilling, but NO lamda fitting. Is there any way that i can use this pipe on my 02 bugeye turbo ? Can i bypass the Lamda, like i could have done the EGT ?? Or am i to drill out the hole and have the lamda boss fitted ? P.S. are the Lamda and EGT the same diameter threads ??
Old 23 March 2012, 04:05 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

You didnt get an Sti item then?

I am not sure on this & whether it would be an easy job to drill a hole for the Lambda
Old 23 March 2012, 04:10 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petethemeat
You didnt get an Sti item then?

I am not sure on this & whether it would be an easy job to drill a hole for the Lambda
I got a solid one from TSL as i couldnt source a STI one. The advert pic had one boss drilling, so i guessed it was Lamda only, which would be perfik. All i have is the EGT boss which is threaded then has a small drilling around 5 or 6mm to let the probe through
Old 23 March 2012, 05:22 PM
coops78
Scooby Regular

Up pipe doesn't have a lambda in it, that is located in the headers just before the joint to the up pipe.
Old 23 March 2012, 05:33 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 762 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by coops78
Up pipe doesn't have a lambda in it, that is located in the headers just before the joint to the up pipe.

Exactly ^^^^^^

Last edited by Don Clark; 23 March 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 23 March 2012, 05:37 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

The sensor in the old pipe is an egt sensor which you don't need. Your car will eventually throw a cel which needs to be disabled by a mapper
Old 23 March 2012, 09:01 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Why do the de cat up pipes on ebay have 2 drillings then ? One for the lamda and one for the EGT i presumed.

I have just received a refund for the item. I am going to post it back tomorrow, ooops maybe i should keep it.

This is what i have bought :-

I thought it should have 2 drillings or at least a lamda similar to this one :-

Last edited by madmarx; 23 March 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 23 March 2012, 11:36 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madmarx
I thought it should have 2 drillings or at least a lamda similar to this one :-
Just because those for sale on Fleabay have an extra boss (can be used for an additional AFR meter sensor or EGT meter sensor) doesn't mean its needed for OEM.

The one you sent back would have been fine.

Seems you need to do some reading up on what you've got/not got.

FYI A lot of downpipes come with a boss just after the turbo flange - not necessarily needed for a newage but oem position for a Classic O2 lambda.
Old 24 March 2012, 12:39 AM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Just because those for sale on Fleabay have an extra boss (can be used for an additional AFR meter sensor or EGT meter sensor) doesn't mean its needed for OEM.

The one you sent back would have been fine.

Seems you need to do some reading up on what you've got/not got.

FYI A lot of downpipes come with a boss just after the turbo flange - not necessarily needed for a newage but oem position for a Classic O2 lambda.
Thanks for the info Don. I still have the pipe. I am going to repay their refund and keep the solid pipe.
Old 24 March 2012, 02:13 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Be careful with aftermarket uppipes as if the bore is bigger than stock it will hamper spool and I wouldn't touch one with the flexi joint as it is a weak point, I would fit either newage sti or a classic uppipe as cheapest option or a good quality aftermarket one such as the first one. Best to leave egt out and either fit a resistor or have the cel mapped out. The second one looks a much bigger bore than the first one. I fitted a larger bore one to my wrx and soon took it off as performance was worse than the standard carted one.

Last edited by daz1968; 24 March 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 24 March 2012, 08:30 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Don. I still have the pipe. I am going to repay their refund and keep the solid pipe.
Looking at the picture it has a slip joint for expansion - much better IMO than the bellows type.
Old 24 March 2012, 09:43 AM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Looking at the picture it has a slip joint for expansion - much better IMO than the bellows type.
Yes it has a slip joint, only being welded at one end. When i fit it, would you advise using the EGT as it has a port for it ? or fit the blanking plug supplied with the my up pipe and fit a resistor in the EGT wiring plug to trick it ?

will i gain or lose anything either way ?
Old 24 March 2012, 09:46 AM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
Be careful with aftermarket uppipes as if the bore is bigger than stock it will hamper spool and I wouldn't touch one with the flexi joint as it is a weak point, I would fit either newage sti or a classic uppipe as cheapest option or a good quality aftermarket one such as the first one. Best to leave egt out and either fit a resistor or have the cel mapped out. The second one looks a much bigger bore than the first one. I fitted a larger bore one to my wrx and soon took it off as performance was worse than the standard carted one.
That pic is just for illustration purposes Daz. But yes i wouldnt buy one of those flexi types and especially not a 2.5 inch diameter one.
Old 24 March 2012, 09:57 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Yes it has a slip joint, only being welded at one end. When i fit it, would you advise using the EGT as it has a port for it ? or fit the blanking plug supplied with the my up pipe and fit a resistor in the EGT wiring plug to trick it ?

will i gain or lose anything either way ?
Fitting the EGT depends upon whether you can get it out of the old up pipe in one piece

It was originally fitted to monitor the pre-cat, which is now removed so you can go either way.