Notices

New member needs help quickly

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2012, 10:26 AM
rab10000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member needs help quickly

Hello new member names rab, i decided after a few years to buy myself another impreza but decided to go with the port until i manage to get a couple of years ncb after a couple of claims and a bad, a

anyways bought myself a 99 V impreza sport with the turbo bonnet etc so get the looks just not performance but about 2 miles from collecting the car i lost poewer steering ect. WHen i opened the bonnet i noticed the crank pulley was loose and sitting at funny angle. managed to repair the pulley however i did notice that the woodruff key had been squashed, now the car drives great only prob is at idle the pulley spins as tho it is slightly out of align but when u open throttle it straightens itself out. What im looking to find is the size of a replacement woodruff key.

secondly my key in the ignition barrel no longer works takes lots of twisting to get the key to turn, ive managed to source another barrel and key but im unsure of how the barrel comes out. the person i got the barrel from says its easy and only takes seconds but not for me.

any advice much appreciated
Old 23 April 2012, 10:41 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

get a new woodruff key asap, if it mashed up the crank its a big bill
Old 23 April 2012, 11:01 AM
rab10000
Scooby Newbie

do u nknow the size mate cant get one untill i know the size of it place few miles away has various dif sizes in stock but i cant find the impreza size anywhere online
Old 23 April 2012, 06:39 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Almost certainly it's had a cam belt change and the pulley bolt wasn't tightened up properly afterwards.
The heavy pulley would have worked around and chewed up the woodruff key, and worse still, the slot in the crank.
We've dealt with this before by fitting a new key, and also fitting a lightweight pulley. (CDF or similar) The light pulley exerts much less force on the key, and you might just get away with it if you do it up good and tight.
Old 23 April 2012, 06:56 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Almost certainly it's had a cam belt change and the pulley bolt wasn't tightened up properly afterwards.
The heavy pulley would have worked around and chewed up the woodruff key, and worse still, the slot in the crank.
We've dealt with this before by fitting a new key, and also fitting a lightweight pulley. (CDF or similar) The light pulley exerts much less force on the key, and you might just get away with it if you do it up good and tight.
Also if there is slight wear to the crank slot, fill it with e metal when the new key is inserted, it will help it sit tight,. good luck