Notices

help with map

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2012, 11:35 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with map

Hi all, I'm looking at mapping my 2002 Sti, I've bought a full 3" hayward & Scott exhaust, cold air induction kit and walbro 255 pump, so now I have my bits I obviously need to arrange a remap, times are a little hard so I looked into the romraider software but after 6 weeks of reading maps and trying to 100% understand what not to do I am asking if anyone out there could help me out, I know I'm bound to get replies like "just pay the money and get it done right" but I'm not after massive gains I just want it to run safe on the mods I've bought to fit, I will gladly pay for the help if any can shed some light or even meet up with me to offer help hands on,
I'm in nottingham and I will travel if I need to,
Thanks in advance Dan .....
Old 12 May 2012, 05:38 AM
Black Widow
Scooby Regular

Dan, by the time youve bought all the kit to do your own mapping i.e. tatrix cable, flash block and a wideband afr, you may aswell add a bit more money to the pot and have it mapped properly, self mapping is an interesting consept but you have to be careful, lots of parametres have to be changed for your new setup, MAF scaling, WGD and your fueling along with a few other possible tweaking with your tubo dynamics if your over boosting in upper gears, timing etc.

all mappers started somewhere so if your willing to read ALOT MORE and buy your necessary equiptment, then go for it, Romraider guys are always there to give advice.

if you do decide to have a go, my advice to you would be to tweak the car in its standard form then change one thing at a time from your mod, first cold induction and map that first before you move on to the next mod, it will help you from chasing your tail.

IMO
Old 12 May 2012, 11:15 AM
Bendalyn
Scooby Newbie

Dan,
i've got the same car and i've tuned mine using the romraider software and tactrix cable. A very rewarding experience if your prepared to put the time in and learn what to do. I have a big advantage as by day i'm a calibration engineer for Ford so i'm familiar with the terms and also have lots of background knowledge. the base maps have lots of 'errors' and i have vastly improved the driveability and fuel economy over the base maps not to mention the spool onto boost.

My car has a H&S system too and i found that i was getting massive boost overshoots so i started by conservatively changing the boost setpoint and the WGDC max and continuous tables. i have added loads of advance for the intake cam and calmed the boost control gains right down adjusted the setpoint to can actually be achieved by the hardware.

There is lots of good advice available on the romraider site and lots of guides with what to do.

My advice would be:

1. Make a copy of the base map and keep it secure somewhere so you can always go back to where you started.

2. Log data consistently i.e. always do 3rd or 4th gear pulls from as close to idle as you can to the highest revs the road/track allows

3. Identify small changes and make them incrementally - do lots of little changes rather than a load in one flash. Make a note of what the change was.

4. Log more data to see if the change you made has the effect you expected and want.

Repeat

Others will have different opinions but i suggest:

tune the cams
tune the boost
tune the fuel
tune the spark

avoid using someone else's map as it wont suit your car and mods and might break it
if you're increasing boost check you don't start running into load or MAF clips

keep an eye on knock levels, injector duty cycle.

An exhaust gas temperature probe is useful so is a wideband to see if the delivered AFR matches the request.

Good luck
Old 12 May 2012, 12:36 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Some good advice there Bendalyn . Are you based at Ford Dunton ?
Old 12 May 2012, 11:04 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bendalyn
Dan,
i've got the same car and i've tuned mine using the romraider software and tactrix cable. A very rewarding experience if your prepared to put the time in and learn what to do. I have a big advantage as by day i'm a calibration engineer for Ford so i'm familiar with the terms and also have lots of background knowledge. the base maps have lots of 'errors' and i have vastly improved the driveability and fuel economy over the base maps not to mention the spool onto boost.

My car has a H&S system too and i found that i was getting massive boost overshoots so i started by conservatively changing the boost setpoint and the WGDC max and continuous tables. i have added loads of advance for the intake cam and calmed the boost control gains right down adjusted the setpoint to can actually be achieved by the hardware.

There is lots of good advice available on the romraider site and lots of guides with what to do.

My advice would be:

1. Make a copy of the base map and keep it secure somewhere so you can always go back to where you started.

2. Log data consistently i.e. always do 3rd or 4th gear pulls from as close to idle as you can to the highest revs the road/track allows

3. Identify small changes and make them incrementally - do lots of little changes rather than a load in one flash. Make a note of what the change was.

4. Log more data to see if the change you made has the effect you expected and want.

Repeat

Others will have different opinions but i suggest:

tune the cams
tune the boost
tune the fuel
tune the spark

avoid using someone else's map as it wont suit your car and mods and might break it
if you're increasing boost check you don't start running into load or MAF clips

keep an eye on knock levels, injector duty cycle.

An exhaust gas temperature probe is useful so is a wideband to see if the delivered AFR matches the request.

Good luck
Ok thank you, I need to learn learn learn more! It's a massive amount for me to understand, I have very good mechanical knolage but this is do much more in depth! Cold feet lol
Old 12 May 2012, 11:36 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

There's some excellent resources and a guide on the RomRaider forums - called Subie something or other!

I think Jura's posted a link to it on there too in the last week or so.

Hope that helps!