Notices

'00 Impreza GT stock map and 300+ bhp??

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2012, 11:59 AM
medinars
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 Impreza GT stock map and 300+ bhp??

Hi guys

Just yesterday I met a friend's friend who has a '00 Impreza GT developing over 300 bhp on the ECU stock map.

It has a bigger turbo, vf34 I guess, intake, full decat, fuel pump and the stock yellow 440cc injectors.

He wasn't with the car at the time, so didn't get the chance to have a look at the engine bay, but I'm assuming he would have a an electronic boost controller and a fuel cut defender.

I found this unusual and very risky, but the guy told me that the stock ecu is very flexible, and that if keeping the stock injectors, and since the timing is always being automatically advanced to the knock limit, it will adapt to anything you can throw at it up to the limit of the 440cc yellows.

I forgot to ask him what afr's the engine is making at this setup.

This could be just rubbish talk, but the fact is that I've seen the car moving, and it really pulls like a train.

It left my friend's 1.8 vti turbocharged 320 bhp civic behind, and on the straights at the track it was faster than a '05 stock STI.

The car has been like this for more than 2 years.

Is this true what he says about the stock map??
Old 15 May 2012, 12:33 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Yes it is, but the mappers and all the other followers who claim you "Must get a remap if you sneeze on (or in) the car" will tell you different. 5 or 10 years back, people were running >1.2bar midrange on the original turbo using only a boost controller and FCD for years without issue. However doing so on a different turbo is going to be far from ideal I would imagine mostly in the spool up region of the map, and maybe ignition timing at high revs when I believe the knock sensor is not used to correct for knock.

If you are going to try and do the same then the green AE802 ecu is a bit safer to do so as if runs richer still, but you would still definitely want to run only 99ron fuel and get the AFRs and det checked on a rolling road.

And after all that you get something that is not as nice to drive and not as fuel efficient as a car thats been properly mapped.
Old 15 May 2012, 01:13 PM
medinars
Scooby Newbie

Well, this kind of left me thinking, because I was saving money to buy a Power FC, and then, gather all the parts and tune it to get 320bhp or so on my Impreza GT '99.

If the ecu is a little more flexible than needing a remap after changing the air filter, this could be an option (appart from the bigger turbo), to get me a little spice up while I'm saving for the Power FC and the bigger turbo.

I already have an HKS mushroom, turboback decat, and electronic boost controller, but I'm running 0,95bar to keep it safe. I also have the walbro 255lph, AEM FPR and an oil cooler.

Installing a FCD and raising the boost a little bit would not be that expensive and would amuse me until the big power arrives.
Old 15 May 2012, 02:17 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

The air filter is one thing I wouldn't change though - it affects the cross section of the air flow through the MAF tube, this could in theory mean that the MAF reads incorrectly for a given air flow. Basically it could mean that the air passes around the MAF more than it used to so that at the centre less air flow is detected than actually going through the tube and therefore run lean. When being mapped sometimes the MAF scaling is corrected for air filter changes.

The boost control on the MY99-MY00 ecu is pretty good and will cater for decats fine but Iif you are going to replace anyway then I suppose it doesn't matter. I'd just avoid changing the air filter, or if you do check that the AFR's are still what they were before you changed it! The OE air intake is good for 300hp+ anyway.
Old 16 May 2012, 01:26 AM
medinars
Scooby Newbie

I got the car on a rolling road once, and it put out 245bhp @ 0,9 bar with 11,5 afr, which worried me a bit.
I was expecting 11 or less, since I've always heard that stock scoobies were way on the rich side.

Later I found out that the pressure line between the intake manifold and the stock FPR was disconnected, and I assumed that this was the reason for the leaner values.

However, the HKS mushroom, as you said could've helped that situation. I'll check it soon as I'm about to install an AEM wideband kit, and then try to correct it if necessary.

Thanks for the help mate.