Notices

V5 STI Compatible Engines. Big end Failiure.

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2012, 11:28 AM
Jinxta
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V5 STI Compatible Engines. Big end Failiure.

Hello, I have a 1999 JDM Version 5 WRX STI, and on friday had the delightful misfortune of what i think is the big end throwing a bearing .
Well me and a fair few other people,- under gentle increase in revs a dull knocking sound that gets louder and more cringing the higher it revs.

What i am really in dire need of knowing is what are the most financially efficient methods on remedying this problem with maintaining reliability/improving internals strength if required.

I have looked on the web and there are various blurbs that give me vague answers but my best chance at someone who knows giving me any kind of a direct realistic answer is probably here!!!!

What i mean is, should i rebuild what ive got? Or should i be looking at another engine?

Eclipse Performance do an engine rebuild with Race Crank for £995, is this a direction i should be looking to go in?

Or is one of the new age engines compatible for my car without massive modifications if any.

I have a second car so im not in as an immediate hurry as if it was my daily, but i do need to get it sorted soon-ish and for as sensible money as i can. Having only just having it mapped and having a big tmic installed and installing a new exhaust system i am somewhat depleated.

It was running 311HP and 282 ft/LB and i would like to continue to have that power but with reliability or slightly less if that is to much for reliability if i have to.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, hope i have covered everthing i need to for you to know/understand my goal.

Cheers Jinx.
Old 03 June 2012, 12:46 PM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Hi Jinx. Sorry to hear of your engine failure. I would suggest you don't start the car any more as the more you run it, the greater chance of needing a replacement crank.

Here is a link to our web site which explains the various options we do on rebuilds... http://www.eclipse-performance.com/subaru/70

It doesn't include a crank, that's extra if you need it.

Of course you have the option of sourcing a second hand bottom end which would end up saving you a few hundred pounds, I guess it depends on your budget and what your future plans are for your car. If your not planning on keeping it too long and you have no ambitions for higher power, maybe a second hand engine is the best option. If you want to keep the car and want piece of mind then Id suggest a rebuild is the right option. You also have the opportunity to build something a lot stronger, or maybe a stroker - if you were considering bigger power in the future!

You are welcome to give us a call for a chat if you want any more information/advice.

Chris.
Old 03 June 2012, 02:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Closest place to you is enginetuner, parts wise, if you go the full rebuild route then replace everything, this includes the crank, you can get one of the twin scroll nitrided/drilled ones which provide better oil feed to the bearings.
There is a place in Bristol, Automotive something (cant remember off the top of my head) that do good parts at a good price, but you will be better off with a rebuild and find out what exactly went wrong to cause the failure in the first place as to ensure it doesnt happen again.

Tony
Old 03 June 2012, 03:36 PM
Jinxta
Scooby Newbie

Fear not i have no intention to start it anymore as it is in a good resting place for the time being, i have drained the oil and there was no evidence of the Glitter that i hear is likely, or is it? the oil was just clean of swarf which i was expecting chunks to come out.

Well if i said to either of you, that on tick over it sounds ' normal' but under gentle throttle there is a knocking sound would you immediately think big end? this is just the theory so far, and having not had it apart then i dont know for sure.

Is it possible it could be a knock sensor? i have no idea of the symptoms other than a loud clouting noise to me just says turn the motor off!!!!

Cheers for the the info though chaps, muchly appreciated
Old 03 June 2012, 03:38 PM
Jinxta
Scooby Newbie

I had it mapped at engine tuner only 2 weeks ago with confidence that it was good to do which sucks but you never really can tell when something bad is going to happen,- thus being the risk of tuning a vehicle.
Old 03 June 2012, 06:50 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Cheapest reliable option is to swap the short block with a newage STI one if yours has big end failure.
Old 03 June 2012, 07:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trouble is, a short block could have 100k on it, not be serviced correctly, be contaminated etc, its a cheap option but it would need cleaning and id still be doing the bearings and maybe the crank to be on the safe side.
May as well buy new for that effort.

Tony
Old 09 June 2012, 01:49 PM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

From what you have described it does sound like big end failure.

And like has been said a second hand engine might save you a few hundred pounds, but if you have had it remapped clearly you need a strong engine, so I wouldn't say it was worth the risk of going through this again just to save a few hundred pounds.