Oil Cooler and Oil Filter Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2012, 11:22 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler and Oil Filter Relocation

Hi, all

I have purchased all the parts I'd need to relocate the oil filter and install an oil cooler onto my MY98 turbo wagon.

David from API has strongly suggested relocating the filter away from the exhaust manifold and I completely agree that it's a very good idea. Problems start, however, when I try to find a place to install the filter and the catch can. This is a LHD car so there's no room on the firewall on the LHS

Attached are some pictures of my engine bay and the best location I have found for the filter is the alternator bracket. Are there limits to how high the oil filter can be mounted?

The parts I got from API for this installation are: take-off plate, filter mount plate, thermostatic plate, the oil cooler and the four braided hoses. The highly technical and precise drawing below shows how I'm planning to install everything, any comments on that? The thermostatic plate would go between the filter and the filter plate and I'm thinking of mounting both of them to the left face of the alternator bracket.

It will be easier at this point to just put the thermostatic plate between the block and the filter and run the lines to the cooler but I'd rather do it all at once since relocating the filter offers these benefits.

All thoughts and ideas are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex