Notices

LM450 twinscroll turbo, can it run dv less?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2012, 04:16 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM450 twinscroll turbo, can it run dv less?

Hi all

As above really, can i run this unit dv less? I am really not fussed on the noise of the dumpvalve (turbosmart) that is on the car now.

If it can be run dv less will it effect the map on the car? I dont want to be breaking things so if not recommended then the dumpvalve will be staying, or can i just refit the standard re circ valve back in its place? Car is running just under 2bar of boost on my gauge ( power run graphs show 1.9 bar ) @ 453 bhp and 446lb ft.

I am after advice not a lecture lol really aint fussed on the Car as it is, only when its coming on to boost and i change up gears will i get the wastegate chatter which is what im a lover of, not expecting no wrc rally car wastegate noises obviously lol but just prefer that noise or as close as poss

I have heard a few cars running dv less now and dont sound too bad, however im not up for it if im gonna be breaking **** all the time or am likely to be putting excessive amounts of strain on engine components

Answers on a post card

Cheers all

Craig
Old 20 September 2012, 04:34 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Whats the ecu? Does it retain the maf sensor?

I hear people claiming to run DVless and have no problems, but coincedence has it the very same people see a turbo as a consumable! So my take on it is that if youve got the chatter, your turbo will die prematurely! Maybe not imminently, but theres extra strain going on there that has to be taken by something!

If your running mafless and have an adjustable DV, then tuning it so that you just start to hear chatter, but also have a pressure dump could be the best compromise as theres some chatter, but also the pressure behind it isnt anywhere near what it would be if you were completely DVless.
Old 20 September 2012, 05:33 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Hey and thanks or the reply

Yes car still retains the maf sensor and is still running stock ecu.

car is 2004 blob sti jdm

I think understand it lol, the pressure has to go somewhere and that it is a shock load on the turbo which is causing the turbine to slow as the air is forced back through the turbine which as a result causes the noise, but what id like to get a rough idea of is, will it cause the turbo to fail way way earlier than than if it was to be vented or are we talking like matter of months, miles etc?? Im not going to cause my car major issues if the dumpvalve needs to be retained then so be it, but trying to build a picture of whats what with it all as some say dont do it as will kill turbo easily and then ive heard others say it wont drastically hurt it but will shorten the life of the turbo but not by a major time scale so hence why i asked the question lol, i dont want to damage anything over the sake of a noise, ive already lost the burble of the uk spec which i love so putting up with this dumping nonsense will just have to stay
Old 20 September 2012, 08:20 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Craig

LM turbo is similar to the MD which,can be run DVless and you will not void the warranty running DVless,you will only void warranty if you will be using the ALS

We are run DVless MDX321T few months without the problem

Jura
Old 20 September 2012, 08:22 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

yes and do it sounds awesome....
Old 20 September 2012, 10:04 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Probably a good idea to ask Litchfield Imports about the warranty ?

It can be run without, but if using a maf watch out for reversion which can cause issues.

garrett based turbo's are normally tough enough not to have an issue with the back pressure and the WRC chirp is awesome. But you could find you have lift off problems are light load feather problems doing it.

cheers

bob
Old 20 September 2012, 10:21 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Bob I've asked Mark@Lateral Performance(LM and MD using same wheel and both are made by TD) and he confirmed,he don't have problem if we are want to run DVless,but if we will be running ALS,he said,this will be not covered by warranty

Jura

Trending Topics

Old 20 September 2012, 10:27 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Hi guys thanks for the replies

Bob is this something that you could map out? Or even remove the maf? What would be the best option in your oppinion? Im hoping to be booked in with you sooner rather than later, pay day next week

Thanks for the info jura will look in to warrenty issue but not sure if its still under warrenty tbh, how long they last with a new item these days? Also how much boost are you running and will this have a greater effect on the shock load of the turbo, as i would immagine it would? Any body know of somebody running high levels with dv delete? Just want a sound background before i just jump in lol, love to but would be devastated should i break it at the min lol aint had it long
Old 20 September 2012, 10:48 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Hi guys thanks for the replies

Bob is this something that you could map out? Or even remove the maf? What would be the best option in your oppinion? Im hoping to be booked in with you sooner rather than later, pay day next week

Thanks for the info jura will look in to warrenty issue but not sure if its still under warrenty tbh, how long they last with a new item these days? Also how much boost are you running and will this have a greater effect on the shock load of the turbo, as i would immagine it would? Any body know of somebody running high levels with dv delete? Just want a sound background before i just jump in lol, love to but would be devastated should i break it at the min lol aint had it long

On yours you can run SD(Speed Density) and MAFless via Carberry ROM,via EcuTek you must have 06(Hawkeye onwards),but via MegaROM on JDM you can have two fuel maps etc

LM and MD has have 2 years warranty as every turbo from TD(Turbo Dynamics),but would be best speak to the Lichtfield Imports as said Bob

We are running 1.7bar and we are run without the problem several months without the one problem,assume you are running Non-Billet which normally running more boost as billet,this explain boost at your bhp/torque

Many people run MD321T without the DV several months and still is in good shape,just search here and you will find lots of information and personal experience

Jura
Old 20 September 2012, 11:01 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run an LM480 without a DV for 3 years/30,000 miles now and still going strong

I tried both an APS twin port, and DV-delete, and preferred the latter as it seemed better during gear changes, but it is not brilliant on light load if I'm honest.

Syvecs/MAF-less btw.
Old 20 September 2012, 11:33 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info jura much appreciated

Tim how bad is it on light loads, is it jerky/shuddery ? I would have thought its not that bad if your up to 3 years lol just gets irritating at times i bet, is it worse in the hot weather? They seem pretty hardy turbos by the looks of it then, and can handle high boost from what i can see with dv delete, although mine is the billet 450 jura got the receipt here and a dyno graph of before and after i believe, by all accounts didn really gain a great deal of hp iirc will dig them out when i get 2 mins tomorrow, think i may just have a gander at whats what, i take it that i just plug the hard pipe with a silicone pipe and bung and just block the vac pipe or just remove it and plumb it back how it was??
Old 20 September 2012, 11:44 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a bit jerky/juddery but, to be fair, there could be any number of reasons for that!

DV-delete means you need to block 3 pipes:
  • Pipe near the throttle body that goes to the DV. This is under pressure so needs to be a decent "ribbed" plug securely attached with a good quality jubilee
  • Pipe from the DV back to the inlet - this is under vacuum so not so critical in how you blank it. I once used a plastic plumbing fitting for this with no ill effects! Also used one of these, once, for the pressure side and had it blow off on full chat
  • small bore pressure pipe from the inlet manifold to the DV - just take the tube off the DV and stick a bolt or whatever in to it to blank it.

That's assuming FMIC - if you have a TMIC you need a blanking plate on the TMIC itself, and then just plug the small bore pipe and the return to the inlet
Old 12 October 2012, 03:21 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Just don't run DVless with an LM450 and a Zero Sports Intake kit.

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread...911#post354911
Old 12 October 2012, 03:38 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Christ that is a bit of bad luck by there fella! So part of the induction kit has gone in to the turbo?? I bet that did make hell of a noise! Not sure what cold air feed is in mine its an inner wing induction mounted behind the front bumper, will have to check that out after seeing that!

Have only had mine a few weeks an all so dont want yhat to be happening i know!