Notices

What's the best rebuild lube and sealants guys?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2012, 03:11 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best rebuild lube and sealants guys?

As above starting to get ready to rebuild now after the strip down and just wondered what's recomended for lubing the main bearings etc and what sealants I should use on the block halves, sump etc. Also the 14mm hex plugs for the block where you knock the piston pins out. Do you use anything around the water pump/oil pump area and cam covers. All new gaskets are being fitted just wondered if anything is used along with them.
Many thanks for any input guys, Steve.

Last edited by Firez34; 10 October 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10 October 2012, 04:20 PM
Paucatuman
Scooby Regular

D'ya mind if I tag along on this - just about to start a rebuild myself and would be interested in the answers.

Thanks
Old 10 October 2012, 04:34 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paucatuman
D'ya mind if I tag along on this - just about to start a rebuild myself and would be interested in the answers.

Thanks
No problem at all fella

Last edited by Firez34; 10 October 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11 October 2012, 09:53 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Anyone help with this, been looking at the Three bond stuff but it's very pricey, also the Loctite 5699(anyone use this). Is it the RTV sealant that I need for the sump?
Old 11 October 2012, 10:19 AM
Paucatuman
Scooby Regular

Default Sealant Info

Originally Posted by Firez34
Anyone help with this, been looking at the Three bond stuff but it's very pricey, also the Loctite 5699(anyone use this). Is it the RTV sealant that I need for the sump?
I'm particularly interested in the lubricating side of the rebuild myself but I can advise on the sealant side of matters.
I can't comment on the 3bond as I have never used it but I believe it is the OEM product that is used when the engines are built so you should have no problems if you use it.
Loctite I can comment on as that's who I work for.
5699 is a grey premium silicone gasketing product that is particularly for sealing water systems although it will do oil.
5910 or 5940 are black premium silicone gasketing products particularly for sealing oil systems, they will also do water.
For best performance ensure all traces of old gasket are removed, clean the surfaces well and do not exceed a gap of 1mm.

I can recommend a gasket removing product and cleaner but don't want this to look like an advert.

Personally I will be using both products in the appropriate places ie oil or water contact areas.

Heads Up - if buying off ebay check the use by date. Premium silicones like these will deteriorate after their use by date.

Again I can recommend authorised suppliers as well if anybody asks.

Please will somebody post on what oils to use for a complete engine rebuild. I will be using alot of second hand parts ie crank, rods, pistons but all will be thoroughly cleaned - I have a complete gasket set on the way from RCM.

Thanks.

Last edited by Paucatuman; 11 October 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: can't spell!!
Old 11 October 2012, 10:48 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Cheers for tht info mate, I will go with the loctite for sealing, just ned to know what lubes to use now on the bearings.
Old 11 October 2012, 03:59 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I use Lucas assembly oil on mains & big ends, Torco assembly oil on valve train components, & Graphogen on gudgeon pins, small end bushes.
Loctite 5910 is very good on Subaru builds, although i use Loctite 574 on the case halves.

Trending Topics

Old 11 October 2012, 05:28 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
I use Lucas assembly oil on mains & big ends, Torco assembly oil on valve train components, & Graphogen on gudgeon pins, small end bushes.
Loctite 5910 is very good on Subaru builds, although i use Loctite 574 on the case halves.
superb fella that's just what I needed to know, thanks mate.
Old 12 October 2012, 09:07 AM
Paucatuman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
Good one, thanks for the information on the oils.

You might like to try 5188 for the case halves. It's an anaerobic like the 574 but it was specifically designed for aluminium in areas where you would encounter a bit of movement, ie thin wall ali casting that temperature cycle a lot. It's more flexible than 574
Old 12 October 2012, 11:47 AM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paucatuman
Good one, thanks for the information on the oils.

You might like to try 5188 for the case halves. It's an anaerobic like the 574 but it was specifically designed for aluminium in areas where you would encounter a bit of movement, ie thin wall ali casting that temperature cycle a lot. It's more flexible than 574
Again SN members provide me with what I need to know, thanks guys.