Notices

MOT issue

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2012, 11:24 PM
craigginger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT issue

Right folks got a bit of a question for you all.......

i currently own a 1993 impreza wrx import and been told by my mot station that it is subject to a full cat test is this right can anyone help with this?? as the last 2 mots have been non cat tested could really do with an answer asap?

thanks craig
Old 18 October 2012, 11:42 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From memory its pre 93 that does not need a cat. My RA is a 92 and is tested as not requiring a cat. Have you changed your MOT tester?
Old 18 October 2012, 11:45 PM
craigginger
Scooby Regular

no ive just purchased the car so little bit of a noob hes unsure wether it needs it or not so hes failed it until i can find some info for him could do with phoning vosa really??
Old 19 October 2012, 12:11 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Think you need a new mot tester
Old 19 October 2012, 12:17 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

This may help

This is a reply from VOA regarding impoted cars and MOT emissions testing. sticky pease admins!!

“The lack of a catalytic converter is not an automatic fail in itself, but a vehicle may struggle to meet the required emission limits without one. Prior to 31 July 1992, a spark ignition engine is required to meet limits of CO<=3.5% and HC<=1200ppm. Between 1 August 1992 and 31July 1995, the limits will depend on whether or not the vehicle is listed in the current edition of the In Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road Vehicles book ( currently the Ninth Edition) which all MOT stations are required to hold. If there is an exact match in this book for the vehicle ( regarding engine number/type, model, chassis no, etc. The exact requirements vary between manufacturers) then the vehicle will be tested to the limits in the book. If an exact match cannot be found, the vehicle will again need to meet limits of CO<=3.5% and HC<=1200ppm. I have looked up your particular model and engine and, as stated in your e-mail, this combination is not listed and therefore the vehicle would need to meet limits of CO<=3.5% and HC<=1200ppm. From 1 August 1995, the requirements again depend on whether or not the vehicle is listed in the Emissions book. As your particular combination is not listed, vehicles of this age would need to be tested to the following limits: Minimum oil temperature : 60C Idle (450 - 1500rpm) CO<=4.5% Fast Idle (2500-3000rpm) CO<=0.3% HC<=200ppm Lambda= 0.97 to 1.03 There is one possible exemption to the above requirements. If the customer can provide a letter from the manufacturer, quoting the chassis number and engine number of the vehicle, stating that the engine as originally installed could not meet the relevant UK emissions limits. In this case, the vehicle can be tested to the next lowest limit.” Hope this clears things up...

Emissions testing covers both Diesel and petrol engines.
There are some general considerations:
One important issue must be cleared up straight away. There is no requirement for a catalytic converter to be fitted to any vehicle, regardless of its age. It is however the most popular way of ensuring engines meet the emission legislation. The MOT test is testing the emissions from the tailpipe and if those emissions meet the standard then the vehicle passes. The term 'cat' test is inappropriate, the correct term is 'advanced emission test'. Its not the 'cat' that's being tested. There are a number of vehicles which are subject to the 'advanced emission test' but are capable of meeting the requirements without the use of a catalytic converter.
Kit cars and amateur built vehicles are regarded as pre 1st August 1975 vehicles for the purposes of MOT emissions testing and are subject to a visual check only. The age of the engine is not taken into account. SVA(single vehicle approval) introduces some problems and these are complex, the SVA manual is the source of information. In a nutshell all vehicles get a "visual check" and vehicles first used after 1/8/75 or with an engine manufactured after this date get a metered check or a CAT test if they are listed in the emissions handbook or are on the emissions tester database. After August 1995 they get a CAT test. Amateur built vehicle SVA emissions tests are based on the vehicle build date unless there is proof that the engine is earlier. If a date cannot be determined, until 31 March 2001 they will get a non CAT test. From the 1st April 2001 the effective date will be assumed to be 1st August 1997, i.e they will get a CAT test unless there is proof of the date of manufacture of the engine. Also, dual fuel (petrol/gas) are tested in both modes.
Personal imports are tested according to date of first use. To claim exemption, a letter from the vehicle manufacturer must be produced at the time of test.
Modified engines must still meet the requirements.
An older engine fitted to a vehicle will be tested to the age of the engine (evidence needed). A newer engine fitted to an older car will be tested to the age of the car i.e whichever is the oldest.
Vehicles which are not passenger cars are tested to different emissions limits in most cases. A passenger car is constructed to carry passengers, has no more than 5 seats excluding the driver, does not exceed 2500kg gross weight and is not a goods vehicle i.e pick-up, van or truck.
It will be necessary for evidence of first used dates to be produced in some cases (personal number plates, 1987's for seat belts and 1992's/94's for emissions) i.e V5 reg document or VE103 for leased/hired vehicles. Some vehicles may have been stored for long periods before being distributed by manufacturers. In these cases, if the vehicle was manufactured at least 6 months before its date of first use then the date of manufacture is used for test requirements.
Engines must be thoroughly warmed up and the oil temperature tested prior to testing (80 degrees C for most "CAT" tests although some are as low as 40 and 80 degrees C for Diesels). It's permissable for the emissions test to be carried out as soon as the vehicle arrives (environmentally friendly too) as long as the rest of the test is carried out on the same day by the same tester.
Any obstructions at the tailpipe which prevent the test probe being inserted will result in failure.
From 1st August 2001 a simplified emissions check was introduced and this will be carried out on vehicles prior to doing a full "CAT" test. If the vehicle meets the requirements during this BETs (basic emission test) then it passes. There will be no need to measure the engine temperature using the analyser probe but the vehicle must be at normal running temperature. However, engine rpm will still be measured. If the vehicle fails the BET then the full "CAT" test is applied.
The BET standards are:
Fast idle 2500-3000rpm
CO no more than 0.3%
HC no more than 200 parts per million
Lambda between 0.97 and 1.03
Normal idle 450-1500rpm
CO no more than 0.5%
Old 19 October 2012, 12:24 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

I have a 1993 RA, and have no issues because as the Tester say's it is an Import, their computer system does NOT have the Import impreza listed, and as such he has to manually input the data and test it as a non catted car, as they have no data to state if the vehicles original emissions would pass the EU / UK regulations when the vehicle was originally manufactured.
This is covered under the transition Period i have Highlighted in bold “transition” period (i.e. 1 August 1992 to 1
August 1995)

So Pre 1995 Imports can technically get past the cat issue.

17th edition Emissions test.

The test applies to:
  • Passenger cars (1) first used on or after 1 August 1992 and mentioned in the
    Annex to this publication.
  • All passenger cars first used on or after 1 August 1995.(2)
  • Other vehicles, such as large passenger cars and light goods vehicles (3), first
    used on or after 1 August 1994 and mentioned in the Annex to this
    publication.

For all petrol engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1992, all gas engined
vehicles and vehicles other than passenger cars first used before 1 August 1994 the
test procedure consists of a metered check at the normal idle speed, the so-called
`non-catalyst‟ test.

Some passenger cars first used during the “transition” period (i.e. 1 August 1992 to 1
August 1995) and some light goods vehicles and large passenger cars first used on
or after 1 August 1994 were not required to be manufactured to the EC standards
requiring advanced emissions control systems to be fitted. For these vehicles the
non-catalyst test will be applied. Owners of vehicles which were first used during this
transition period, are advised to check the entries in the Annex to this booklet or
contact the vehicle manufacturer.

1.2 Checks on the vehicle before the test

As a general precaution motorists are advised to check that the vehicle has enough
engine oil, the coolant level is correctly topped-up and there is enough fuel to carry
out the test. If defects are known or suspected it is advisable to seek advice from a
qualified service engineer and have the defects rectified in advance of the test
appointment.

Wherever possible vehicles should arrive at the test station with the engine at its
normal operating temperature (e.g. after a drive of approximately 5 miles). Before
carrying out the test, the Tester will confirm that the engine is at its normal operating

1 The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended) define a passenger car as a
motor vehicle which is:

a) constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of passengers and is not a goods vehicle;

b) has no more than five seats in addition to the driver‟s seat and;

c) has a maximum gross weight not exceeding 2,500kg.

2 Passenger cars first used before 1 August 1995, not mentioned in the Annex and which at date of engine
manufacture were incapable of passing the catalyst test will be tested to non-catalyst standards

3 Large passenger cars with more than six seats including the driver‟s seat. Light goods vehicles not
exceeding 3,500kg.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...%20Edition.pdf
Old 19 October 2012, 12:27 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

lol Arch was going along the same lines as me, but posted while i was writing it up.
Old 19 October 2012, 12:29 AM
craigginger
Scooby Regular

cheers ppl will hopefully have the think mot'd by tomorrow morning then which is great news will keep you posted thanks for the all the help and information.
Old 20 October 2012, 12:32 AM
craigginger
Scooby Regular

cheers for all your help folks issue sorted whoever sent me the link to the vosa book last night appriciate it cheers took it to the mot station and showed it them and they passed my car straight away extremely happy now, going to the cambrian rally in it today so should all be good fun