Notices

wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2013, 01:10 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start

hi folks looking for some help,long story ive just replaced my bottom end on my bugeye type uk sti, replaced with new cosmitic head gaskets and new cam belt but she wont fire up checked for faults on my reader but got none,just wondering if could be my cam or crank sencor but they were ok before the bottom end went. i did turn the engine over for 3 to 4 mins with the crank sencor disconected till i got the oil pressure up,some times it tries to make a splutter as if it wants to start just wondering if ive flooded it dam can any one help
Old 02 February 2013, 01:29 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Have you checked for spark and fuel?

Are all earths on and properly and secure?

Did you double check the timing belt marks and then check them again

Any alarms or immobilisers on the car that may need resetting?

If all was well before hand it sounds like its something trivial, but stranger things have happened before now!

Last edited by Infected by sti; 02 February 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02 February 2013, 01:45 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

hi mate ive checked for fuel its comeing out of pipe from fillter ok havent checked for spark as you know coil packs are a swine to get out.dont think its the timing belt had 3 goes at it before i was happy with it ive done belts on these engines 3 times before and was spot on but hey i could be wrong this time its just got the standard immobiliser on the car it seems to be working the way it should......
Old 02 February 2013, 02:00 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I'm not too sure if there are different types of crank sensors for the scoobs at different years tbh, I know on the redtop vauxhalls there are 2 types of sensor for the same engines, one won't work the other, don't know if Subaru have anything similar, I have not crossed that bridge yet tbh

Can you get or have you got a spare coil lying around you could possibly plug in to check for spark?

Have you checked all the sensors to make sure all the loom is connected nice and tight and nothing is missing or disconnected.

How long have you had it on crank trying to get it to start? If you think it may be flooded the best thing to do would be to drop a plug out and see if its saturated, you could also check the spark at the same time then, alternatively if your confident everything is as it should be and you think its flooded you could get someone to tow you and leave it in gear, although I'd probably go with taking the plug out first to have a glance
Old 02 February 2013, 02:37 PM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

Have you used the original crank pulley trigger wheel that the cambelt sits on, as there are diff ones if you used another. But is sounds like a prob i had when doing mine, would splutter and almost run. Turned out i`d timed the cam belt wrong. The passenger side inlet cam was 180 degrees out. This might be worth a look, as those marks can be a bit confusing.
Old 02 February 2013, 02:38 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

hi mate i just had a go at towing it but still no start but ive just pluged in my reader and it came back with p0336 fault code.witch is the cranshaft posion sencor.strange that it was working fine before i took engine out.i allso remembered to use my cranck sprocket off my own engine just incase they were different,,,,,,,,
Old 02 February 2013, 03:14 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I have not gone too far with these engines yet bud so tbh I'm a little unsure of what's what when it comes to changing bits over from one engine to another.

I take it when you swapped it all over that you reused all the pulleys from your original engine? As if what Ian has said above is correct regarding pulleys etc then they may have different number of teeth, could sit out a little further etc, I have had problems like this on a vauxhall but aint crossed that bride yet with the scoob, soon will be tho as I will be starting to tear one down shortly

If its showing up as crank sensor then the obvious logical choice would be to change it, but before you do just double check all the pulleys have been swapped from your old engine to the new one.

You will get a cam/crank sensor code if the timing is not correct mind so again just double check it, and make sure all the loom is plugged in to all the correct places as I beleive it is possible to mix the wires up, I'm sure I have read a thread somewhere with similar issues to yours and it turns out it was the wiring was plugged in to wrong sensors

You really need to check to see if you got any spark there.

Last edited by Infected by sti; 02 February 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02 February 2013, 04:09 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you didn't use the triangle mark on the crank sprocket to time it up did you, Instead of the line ?
Old 02 February 2013, 04:34 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

think ive got the problem lads looks like ive not got the pullies lined up right think iam 1 tooth out just pulled it apart there but i will have to wait for a mate to give me a hand to put it back on you need two pairs of hands to do the cambelt fingers crossed have a go 2moro thanks for the help lads
Old 02 February 2013, 05:08 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed for you bud, better to double check everything than to spend money on unwanted items
Old 04 February 2013, 10:54 PM
jimmy gee
Scooby Regular

Just a up date lads,ive checked the timeing and all the pullies are all spot on still not starting,going to try a crank sensor next running out ideas hear
Old 14 April 2013, 09:55 PM
Black_beast
Scooby Regular

Did u fix the problem got same thing with my v3 engine swap into my v4 got fuel and spark just won't fire up ,,,
Old 14 April 2013, 10:58 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fault code was prob stored when you were initially cranking the engine with the crank sensor disconnected. Engine will still start/run if the cam timing is 1~2 teeth out, it will just have a wobbly idle and poor performance.

When you took the crank timing pulley off, you didnt break one of the pick-up lugs off it ? easily done if you had to lever it off the snout of the crank.

Other things to check are coil pack electrical connectors, white to front cylinders,black to rear's.

Hopefully you refitted the camshafts in their respective places eg R/H inlet and exhaust cams to the turbo side, L/H to the passenger side - seen this several times before on post rebuild non start's.
Hope your's is something simple to fix though.

Mick