Notices

Ropey handling...or car?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2013, 11:22 AM
Johno_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ropey handling...or car?

First of all, forgive me if this is the wrong place for this thread...just it sort of transcends three of the sub-sections, and I wasn't quite sure which one was the relevant place for it!

Basically my 2003 WRX handles, to me, like a greased pig on a skateboard. The steering is painfully light and seemingly disconnected to the front wheels, there is very little feedback through the wheel too. The car seems to load itself for a corner, before coming light mid-corner, then returning the same tension and feeling through the wheel. Making it difficult to predict where the front will end up - usually on the white line in the center of the road...I've had the car sideways too - not intentionally or enjoyably - in trying to take a corner at similar speeds to my previous car. (An Alfa Romeo 147 GTA).

I've never owned AWD before. I've grown up on, and still race, FWD. So is this vagueness a standard AWD/ Impreza tendency? It's getting to the point where I really feel uncomfortable driving it, and I'm avoiding winding it on as I can't predict the cars behaviour. Which defeats the point of purchasing it in the first place.

The car is running 18" Speedline Turini's - which I read somewhere is the size Prodrive recommended for improved handling?! But the tires, I think, play a part in it - they're Maxxis MA-V1 in 245/40R18. Looking through the receipts folder, they were replaced in 2009...Now, whilst they still do have plenty of tread left on them, but I'm not overly convinced of their ability.

So...the short version of my rambling is, are these familiar characteristics of the car in general? Or is something wrong with the way it is set-up? Or an alternate option that I'm yet to think of?!

Also, how susceptible to tracking/ geo etc. are these cars? From what I've read up on others, Elise for example, a slight out in the tracking can turn it from sublime to horrific in one fell swoop. Are these the same?

I've read up on tire pressures from the various threads on here, and I am now running a staggered +/- 3psi difference front to back, which does seem to have improved things a bit, but its still not brilliant...I know I'll be told to use the search function for this, but other than replacing the tires, what are tried and tested techniques of improving handling/ steering feel?

Finally...I know this comes down to personal preference etc, but is it worth sinking money in to a WRX, or is it just easier, cheaper and simpler to go for a STI with the DCCD etc?! I've got my eye on a WRX STI Type-R V6 that, after purchasing coilovers, ARBs, bushes, new tires and what not for the WRX, works out about the same in monetary terms...

Bit of waffly post from a noobie but any helps appreciated as, like I say, I'm contemplating selling it after a month and a bit of ownership as I'm really not gelling with it at all.

Thanks,

John
Old 04 February 2013, 11:51 AM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Id say maybe before tyres (and I'm not expert) get a full alignment done. Its cheaper than a set of decent tyres, and then if tyres are still needed, you'll benefit from the alignment, if tyres are not needed as the alignment fixes things, you've saved money. If you spend several hundred on tyres, then its just the same, you'll feel a bit sick.
Old 04 February 2013, 12:23 PM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Mine transformed with drop links, poly bush front arb, stuck a 24mm on the back and the eibach springs.....much more predictable and stable
Old 04 February 2013, 12:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above:
Solid droplinks all round, 2mm stiffer arb at the REAR only, or, if you want stiffer at the front, go up 2mm front 4 mm rear.

Then have a reputable place do the geometry. Somewhere that knows what they are doing. Mine has been done at Powerstation, and again at Carnetix, after I had coilovers fitted.

Somewhere that knows what they are doing will discuss options with you, tyre wear, grip, handling characteristics, etc, BEFORE doing the setup, will then drive it to ensure they are happy, before passing it to you to ensure you are happy.

But if you doubt the tyres, four new ones would be a good idea right about before you get the geo done.

AFAIK MAXXIS are budget?
Old 04 February 2013, 01:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

IMO before you consider any modifications or a geo setup, I'd have the car up in the air and give each wheel a good waggle on each axis and go over every suspension and steering joint to check for excessive compliance. Its a old car, so the suspension will be worn, it'll be a judgement call what compliance is excessive or not.

Only until that is satisfied would I get the full geometry checked. Unless you know someone with a tracking guage and you can have a quick look to see where it is at, most likely to be toeing out too much, but there is no point in adjusting anything if you have sloppy control arms bushings.

Yes you have nasty tyres will also need to be addressed, but if the road is bone dry and you have been for a run to get some heat into them, then the grip should be accpetable. Cheap tyres usually only give issues when its wet or damp and cold.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 February 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04 February 2013, 01:34 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

just wait for it, tubbeytommy will be along soon to tell you its your driving and not the car

but yes i also have the same issue with the car not handling as well as i thought it would....