Help me diagnose strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2013, 10:50 AM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me diagnose strange noise

To keep things simple I will list the symptoms of the noise:

- Noise best described as a ticking noise, very similar to engine knock but slightly 'softer'
- Noise starts at around 15 MPH and is not audible below this
- It does not change pitch, volume or frequency. Once the noise starts it stays exactly the same
- The noise is the same despite engine speed or road speed, whether or not in gear, with or without brakes on
- Noise does not change going up or downhill or over bumps etc or with varying degrees of steering lock
- Can only really hear the noise with the window down and can hear the noise 'reflected' off parked cars etc as I pass them
- Nothing has changed with the car in around 6 months and the car is always run on Shell VPower, the noise has lasted over 2 tanks of fuel

This is a very odd noise and I have only noticed it over the last week or so (may have started sooner but only recently started driving with the windows down again).
Because of the constant nature of the noise I had wondered if it could be something electrical, alternator for example?

The car: '98 version 4 STi Type R
Old 05 February 2013, 12:47 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

boost solenoid? They can be rather loud
Old 05 February 2013, 01:18 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Was thinking the same thing, its mounted to the drivers inner bay on the strut turret, they have been known to make a noise if there getting on a bit, but probably still fully functional, have you got a boost gauge fitted? If so when does it start to make the noise with regards to boost? Does it do it constantly over 15mph regardless if you have your foot on the throttle or are off boost light cruising?
Old 05 February 2013, 01:21 PM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Interesting, I hope it is something like that. The noise doesn't seem to get any louder or more frequent with higher RPM. Would the solenoid clicking be a fairly constant noise regardless of throttle or boost?

Edit to add: The noise does seem to be louder on the driver's side but I have only noticed it when the car is moving around 15+ MPH. It doesn't seem to get louder or faster with increased throttle. I do have a boost gauge and the boost seems to be ok, peaking at around 1.2 and settling at 1.1 full throttle (at this point can't hear the noise as the car is pretty loud at full chat).

Last edited by Kozzy; 05 February 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05 February 2013, 02:18 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kozzy
Would the solenoid clicking be a fairly constant noise regardless of throttle or boost?
Yeap they can do.

Try giving it a clean

Disconnect the solenoid pipes
Connect the green test connectors under dash and turn the ignition on (This will make the solenoid pulse)
Spray some carb cleaner into the solenoid. You'll probably find a load of black crud will come out.

Old 05 February 2013, 02:36 PM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MarkCSC
Yeap they can do.

Try giving it a clean

Disconnect the solenoid pipes
Connect the green test connectors under dash and turn the ignition on (This will make the solenoid pulse)
Spray some carb cleaner into the solenoid. You'll probably find a load of black crud will come out.

Thanks Mark, I shall give this a go. Should at least be a simple thing to rule out and can do nothing but good anyway.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:09 PM
scooberuni
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Could it be something daft like a nail or a bolt stuck in the tread of your tire?
That would make audible ticking type noise, louder when your window is down and quicker when you accelerate.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:42 PM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

This noise is fairly constant, it doesn't get louder or go faster with revs, speed, throttle position or boost.

It has to be something capable of making a fairly 'steady' constant noise. Hence my initial thought was a drive belt for something like the alternator (as I believe this is likely to stay constant).

Other people have pointed to a gunked-up boost solenoid, which is something that should be easy to rule out or indeed be the culprit.
Old 05 February 2013, 05:09 PM
Danny1984
Scooby Regular

alternator etc... would change with engine speed as they run off the crank pulley.
Old 05 February 2013, 05:13 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

man! it could be many things, my input would be timming belt pulley or idle control valve the one they change sometimes when belt is done.????
Old 05 February 2013, 08:39 PM
Gavscooby1
Scooby Regular

check if the noise changes if you slightly push or pull the gear stick mine has a bit of a tic/click couldn't figure it out for months