Notices

Essential mods for a Hawkeye WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2013, 09:32 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Essential mods for a Hawkeye WRX?

Hi all,
Just bought the following Hawkeye WRX:

It's got a Prodrive back box, Hayward and Scott centre section, Prodrive springs, Prodrive spoiler and the Inovit Redline wheels.

Is there a list of popular / essential mods I should be looking at?

Brakes: My first thoughts are brakes (ill be doing the odd track day and an annual trip to the Ring) as they look small to say the least! On my ST225 it had 330mm standard and those with braided lines, DS2500 pads and 5.1 fluid were good enough for me. I found this http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~god...id_product=121 which seems decent value compared to a big brake kit from k-sport or the likes or would you suggest a set of used STI Brembo's for similar money would be a better option?

Suspension: Whiteline roll bars were a popular mod on my previous ST225 and Astra VXR, are they needed on the WRX or is the handling with the Prodrive springs already acceptable? If they are good, is it an easy DIY fit?

Intake: From what I can see most people stick with a panel filter upgrade, yeah? I know the PPP comes with a replacement intake pipe of some description, this this available elsewhere and worthwhile?

Exhaust: So I have a Prodrive back box, Hayward and Scott centre section. I dont want to go full decat, the noise for one (9 month old son) and the hassle come MOT time. I can get a pipe to replace one cat though right and still pass emissions?

Remap: Where's best for a live map (had problems with generic maps on my Astra VXR)? Would I be able to map the car with the above or am I looking at injectors, fuel pump etc? I'm after maybe 280-300BHP ideally.

Anything I've missed?

Thanks folks, I've a lot to learn it seems lol
Old 28 February 2013, 09:33 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muzza80
Hi all,
Just bought the following Hawkeye WRX:

It's got a Prodrive back box, Hayward and Scott centre section, Prodrive springs, Prodrive spoiler and the Inovit Redline wheels.

Is there a list of popular / essential mods I should be looking at?

Brakes: My first thoughts are brakes (ill be doing the odd track day and an annual trip to the Ring) as they look small to say the least! On my ST225 it had 330mm standard and those with braided lines, DS2500 pads and 5.1 fluid were good enough for me. I found this http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~god...id_product=121 which seems decent value compared to a big brake kit from k-sport or the likes or would you suggest a set of used STI Brembo's for similar money would be a better option?

Suspension: Whiteline roll bars were a popular mod on my previous ST225 and Astra VXR, are they needed on the WRX or is the handling with the Prodrive springs already acceptable? If they are good, is it an easy DIY fit?

Intake: From what I can see most people stick with a panel filter upgrade, yeah? I know the PPP comes with a replacement intake pipe of some description, this this available elsewhere and worthwhile?

Exhaust: So I have a Prodrive back box, Hayward and Scott centre section. I dont want to go full decat, the noise for one (9 month old son) and the hassle come MOT time. I can get a pipe to replace one cat though right and still pass emissions?

Remap: Where's best for a live map (had problems with generic maps on my Astra VXR)? Would I be able to map the car with the above or am I looking at injectors, fuel pump etc? I'm after maybe 280-300BHP ideally.

Anything I've missed?

Thanks folks, I've a lot to learn it seems lol
Hi
Not too sure about passing emissions with one cat. I've heard even sports cats are difficult to get through. I'm sure someone will be along to advise.
In terms of remap on a WRX hawkeye. The below is the stages of power usually attempted:

Sports Panel Filter
Exhaust Back Box
Centre Pipe
Remap (mine was Racedynamix)
Around 270Bhp (I got 272bhp with 350 lbft)

Next job is:
STI top mount
Walbro Fuel Pump
Uprated turbo - say VF34 (I believe it's off the STI spec d...?) for fast spool everyday use.
Map tweak by the mapper you used first
Around 320Bhp (400lbft)