Notices

FORGINGMY 07 STI

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2013, 07:17 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FORGINGMY 07 STI

Hi Everyone, after a long and thoughtful process im 95% sure i want to fully forge my subaru 2007 sti. I just wanted peoples opinions on what the best area to aim for in terms of BHP / TORQUE. I'm not on a budget as such so price isn't really the problem, its whats realiable / bullet proof im after. I want the car to be running a power thats not pushing anything in terms of stress on the engine. As we all know the standard Head Gasket & Piston Rings are poor so obviously this problem will be addressed, BUT its after that im interested in. Do i need Forged Pistons & Rods or Just the pistons?? Do i need a billet Crank or is the Standard one good for a certain power bracket?? Should i be thinking about 400/400 450/450 500/500 550/550 (in terms of bhp / torque)
Specs at the moment
2.5 Litre type UK Sti 2007
Hayward and Scott Full Decat System
Exedy Hyper Twin Clutch
BC Racing Coilovers
Full Remap By Bob Rawl = 360BHP 435FT LB TORQUE.

Anyway i look foward to advice from everyone but also from those that have done this and can speak from experience. Without being rude please dont just reply without crediable reason or advice for your comments.
Old 13 March 2013, 07:32 PM
toyney83
Scooby Regular

I'd look at 450/450 mate. The cranks are good for more than that but would still go forged pistons and rods and arp head studs. You should be looking at a fmic and something like a billet sc46 or md321t. Would hazard a guess that 650cc injectors would be the bare minimum at that power level
Old 13 March 2013, 07:41 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

That sounds about right mate 450/450, with respect to engine builders i was wondering who has done alot of these or who is highly recommended???
Yeah perrin FMIC i would like.
Seen some people using engine tuner, is it alan in plymouth??
Old 13 March 2013, 07:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Personally I would speak with engine builder and go with their recommendations

But I would go with:
CDB conversion by Alyn@AS Performance
Mahle pistons(Cosworth is my personal preference)
Manley/K1 rods(Carrillo rods are my personal preference)
11mm ARP headstuds(11mm 260k psi Headstuds,14mm headstuds if you are looking run high boost and high bhp)
OE crank will be enough for yours needs(people running them in high hp without the problem)
ACL Race bearings
Cosworth HG is what I would choose

Injectors etc depends on your plan how much bhp you want to run and from this I would go with injectors or turbo choice

Jura
Old 13 March 2013, 07:47 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Thanks JURA,
What about Ian Litchfield is he a good builder??
That sounds like good advice mate, would love 500ft lbs and 450bhp, more interested in torque to be fair as i love that feeling on pull away. Just want ot rid it of tyhe problems i.e piston rings and head gasket but while im there i might aswell go the whole hog??? What sort of cost are there in thos upgrades do you think??
Old 13 March 2013, 07:54 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

You have so many choices for engine builders it will give you a headache

Engine tuner
API
Scooby clinic
RCM

And that's to name a few, I believe all if them have every facility you will need all under one roof, then you got respected builders who work from a shed and produce some cracking engines also ( from what I have read )

You will have supporters of each party along shortly to tell you why you should go where , me i have never had first hand experience with any of them, but after reading and then reading some more, all of the above have excellent reps that I have mentioned, most people would say when you have posted " I'm not on a budget as such " go and see RCM, but unless you have seriously deep pockets you may not want to look at some of the stuff they produce when I'm due ( should it break ) a rebuild I know who ill be visiting but i shall keep that to myself, and it won't be RCM just down to the price alone, but if you can afford it and want the best of the best then RCM is up there amongst them, but IMO you can get the same build for alot less £££'s
Old 13 March 2013, 08:01 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Speak with Alan@ET(EngineTuner),David@APi,Paul Finch@Finch Motorsport,Paul@Zen Performance and many other about the prices,I've used Neil@Slowboy racing for oour project before and now we are using him again for 2.35L

Not sure on the Ian Lichtfield if he does rebuild by himself or someone doing for him rebuilds

On 2.5L you should have like nice torque and nice power,turbo choices like SC46/SC50 or MDX321T or V should work on yours,injectors get Injectors dynamics ID1000

I would do whole lot,if you ar want to do only pistons,HG,when engine is out,I would go little bit further and at the this will worth

Price depends on the parts used etc.,but think you should be looking £2500 onwards,really best to speak with engine builder and he will advise to you

You can save little bit money(in some cases there parts cost half of the price,which cost here),if you will be buying parts from USA,where parts are much cheaper than here

Jura
Old 13 March 2013, 08:17 PM
Marietto
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have a 2007 Hawkeye STI and have just done the forged build & remapped by Bob Rawle on 21st Feb.

My car made 477 BHP & 475 ft/lb

Forged Engine

CP Carrillo Rods
Wossner Pistons
ARP Head Studs 11mm
ACL Race Bearings
Upgraded Sump & Oil Pick Up Pipe
Head Gaskets, Seals, Oil Pump, etc

Bolt ons

Turbo Dynamics MDX555 Billet Turbo (Same spec as MDX321T)
850cc Bosch Motorsport Injectors
RCM GT Spec Headers
Harvey Smtih 3 bolt Trick Up Pipe
Perrin Performance FMIC
HRC HF340 Race Grade Fuel Pump
ITG Maxogen CAI
Prodrive 3 Port Boost Solenoid

Old 13 March 2013, 08:22 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

WOOOOWWWW That looks awesome marietto, thats very similar to what i want, who did you get the build done by?? Also would you mind PM'ing me a rough cost??
Old 13 March 2013, 08:24 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Also where did you source parts from like perrin front mount and rad cover?? also like the strut brace and rad brackets
Old 13 March 2013, 08:34 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if ur not on a budget i would go for the cdb conversion from alyn, full cosworth internals and heads, fp hta gt37r rotated, helix 1200 injectors, twin walbro pumps, aps front mount and max the bitch out on 1 map and have a low boost map for daily driving
Old 13 March 2013, 08:37 PM
Marietto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2004Lee
Also where did you source parts from like perrin front mount and rad cover?? also like the strut brace and rad brackets
Perrin I got from Scoobyclinic but it was an urgent purchase. If I had the time I would have bought it from USA and paid the import taxes & Vat and saved £500.

Engine builder sourced all the forged engine build parts as he gets them trade price. All the bolt ons I bought myself on his advice on where to get. I've sent you a PM mate but if you need any info just PM me and I will tell you everything I know.

The radiator brackets I got my mate to carbon dip for me in candy lava red - nice! Charge me £10 - he advertises on here but also on NESF - Hydrotek Custom Coatings.

Perrin radiator shroud I got off Kas on here but you ccan get them on ebay for £50

Strut brace is a single piece Ultra racing Strut Brace - no brackets so extremely strong. Got off Ultra Racing. It comes in white but I had mine powdercoated gloss black and put the STI decal in the middle

Hope this helps

Last edited by Marietto; 13 March 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 13 March 2013, 08:44 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Thanks mario, i wonder if he will dip mine in maybe a blue carbon???
Youve been very helpful mate, and i may be contacting you for other bits of advice. I would like to keep my rebuild and bolt on price below £7,000 do you think thats reasonable for a good 500/500??
Old 13 March 2013, 08:50 PM
Marietto
Scooby Regular

Thanks mario, i wonder if he will dip mine in maybe a blue carbon???
Youve been very helpful mate, and i may be contacting you for other bits of advice. I would like to keep my rebuild and bolt on price below £7,000 do you think thats reasonable for a good 500/500??
TBH mate I think you may spend a little more than that. I did. But I used brand new parts for everything. You could save yourself a few quid using 2nd hand parts, but I wanted the peace of mind of new parts with warranty back up. It all depends what bolt ons you go for on top of your forged build costs. Happy to share the parts I used and what they cost by PM/email if you need.

Lee - Locky can dip any colour carbon you want - He has already done blue carbon I am sure. If you are on facebook he has a page there and there are photos of his blue carbon there: https://www.facebook.com/hydrotek.cu.../photos_stream

His inlet manifolds are SICK!

Last edited by Marietto; 13 March 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 13 March 2013, 08:53 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Thats cool mate, i wont be using 2nd hand thats for sure!! Well ill have a look on facebook at his stuff mate, thanks again.
Old 13 March 2013, 09:26 PM
scooby2004Lee
Scooby Regular

Well im happy to pay the money but i would like to use one of the best engine builders!
Old 13 March 2013, 09:28 PM
Marietto
Scooby Regular

Well im happy to pay the money but i would like to use one of the best engine builders!
Can't blame you there at all mate