Occasional Dodgy Revs

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2013, 06:01 AM
Spudwagon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional Dodgy Revs

Hi guys

As the title suggests my '03 Blobeye Wagon (gx 2litre) has an intermittent issue regarding the revs on tickover.

What sometimes happens is on starting the engine the revs drop a tiny bit as if the car's going to cut out, but it quickly rights itself before it gets close to doing so. This usually happens if, say I do a journey, park up for 10 mins then go back out to set off again.

It doesn't do it all the time, maybe four or five times a week, but it's puzzling me Plugs and leads were done at the last service in September, I've cleaned the MAF and ICV and the car's recently had the obligatory injector cleaner through it .

That's about as far as my under bonnet know how goes, and I'm also new to Subarus, so I thought I'd ask for any ideas and opinions before I consider the dreaded trip to the garage There's quite a few threads on here re erratic idling etc but there doesn't seem to be any stonewall answers or solutions.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated, and I shall be forever in your debt Well, maybe not, but I'll be chuffed to bits

Cheers
Old 25 May 2013, 09:23 AM
willN
Scooby Regular

My sti does this now and again and sets off my oil pressure warning buzzer. If it drops too low it cuts the engine to stop it doing any damage.. It drives me mad so I wouldnt mind knowing what it is as Ive done pretty much the same as you so far!
Old 25 May 2013, 07:06 PM
Spudwagon
Scooby Newbie

it's sooooo frustrating! I had a Fiat Coupe a few years back, and that used to do the same, but to the point of having to rev it at junctions to stop it cutting out! Nightmare! Never got to the bottom of it, was costing a fortune to solve it and no garage seemed to have a clue.

I'm planning on picking up a fuel filter for the Subaru asap to see if that's anything to do with it, although I'm sure the guy who had the car before me will have had all that done at the last service. But for a few quid it's worth a shot We'll have to see and keep fingers crossed!