Notices

JDM Impreza Speedo Reading Incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2013, 06:02 PM
ScoobyUnleashed
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Impreza Speedo Reading Incorrectly

Hi, first post here. Just after some advice.

I've got a MY99 Impreza WRX which has had 7 former keepers so goodness knows what has been done to this car in the past.

The speedo cluster looks like it has been changed so the outer, larger scale is MPH and the inner, smaller scale is KPH as we expect in the UK. The problem is the needle is using the smaller, inner kph scale. When I'm doing 30mph it does point to just over 30 on the kph scale. However, as it is the smaller, inner scale, the needle only moves about an inch and is very difficult to read quickly. What I want is for the needle to travel further and use the outer mph scale.

The other weird problem is the odometer is reading very low. When I've traveled my daily trip of 19 miles it is only reading 12 miles on the trip meter. Great for keeping the mileage low but not very legal.

Therefore, it looks like the car has had some kind of KPH to MPH conversion done on it and the cluster faces changed but the needle is not using the correct scale. Also it looks like the odometer has been converted twice. Once to reduce the KPH mileage to MPH and then again to give twice the incorrect reading.

Just wondering how this conversion may have been done and what I could do to rectify it. I presume simply replacing the cluster again wouldn't make a difference?

Thanks

Mark