Engine Management Light on MY99 Classic Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2013, 09:24 AM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Management Light on MY99 Classic Turbo

Hi

I'm having a number of problems with the MY99 Classic Turbo I just bought. Pretty sure either the MAF and/or Lambda is part of the problem as I'm getting quite bad hesitation on partial throttle which is worse when cold. Only thing is the engine management light is not on. Should it light up when the ignition is switched on (then go out after the engine is started?)? If so, where is it on the dash? I suppose it's possible the bulb is dead or has been removed to hide a problem.

The car is now off the road with a the coolant leak. I previously was not too concerned since the leak was minor and the car had not overheated. But I know hesitation can be caused by a faulty CTS. That means the car could be overheating and I don't know it.

Is the MY99 classic OBDii compliant? If so, where is the port?

I've bought some lemons in my time but never had one develop so many problems after getting it home.

Thanks.
Old 18 September 2013, 09:46 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are "sort of" OBD2, under the steering wheel there are four plugs, two green and two black, you need to plug these together to flash the error codes (see scoobypedia)..
Old 18 September 2013, 10:53 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by stuballs
Hi

I'm having a number of problems with the MY99 Classic Turbo I just bought. Pretty sure either the MAF and/or Lambda is part of the problem as I'm getting quite bad hesitation on partial throttle which is worse when cold. Only thing is the engine management light is not on. Should it light up when the ignition is switched on (then go out after the engine is started?)? If so, where is it on the dash? I suppose it's possible the bulb is dead or has been removed to hide a problem.

The car is now off the road with a the coolant leak. I previously was not too concerned since the leak was minor and the car had not overheated. But I know hesitation can be caused by a faulty CTS. That means the car could be overheating and I don't know it.

Is the MY99 classic OBDii compliant? If so, where is the port?

I've bought some lemons in my time but never had one develop so many problems after getting it home.

Thanks.
yes the "Check Engine" should illuminate when you turn the ignition on & then go off when car is started

if your's doesnt then you wont be able to check fault codes by connecting the connectors as stated above

you need to either repair/replace the bulb, or find someone who has a PSI3 datamonitor/ ro ecutek deltadash that you will plug into your car for you and show the error codes

If it is a UK car from what i can remember from my MY99 when i had it, the check engine light will appear below the Odometer

i googled this pic of MY99 (non STI) cluster (its had an led upgrade!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...3/BlueLEDS.jpg

Last edited by Gambit; 18 September 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 18 September 2013, 10:59 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

tell a lie, its below the rev counter..
Old 18 September 2013, 11:10 AM
stuballs
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks dude. I'll double check it tonight..