Notices

Oils for 53 Sti ppp

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2013, 02:24 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oils for 53 Sti ppp

I'm looking to go an engine oil,diff oil and gearbox oil on my 53 plate Sti ppp.its done 86,000 if that matters.how often does the diff and gearbox oil needs changing.
Basically I'm a new owner and I'd like to know if its only Millers to use or if silkolene is good?also how much of each Is required and what grade?
I know someone who said they can get it at trade but needs all details to order it.
Cheers
Michael
Old 02 October 2013, 07:23 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Any help guys?i know it might seem a stupid question but want to get it right for an order ASAP.also no returns being trade.
Cheers
Old 02 October 2013, 07:44 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally only use/supply Millers / Motul (and the odd SHELL Racing) oils..................

Fuchs wouldn't be my choice personally

as a basic guide for a std car you want approx. 4.5ltrs of engine oil (good quality 5w40), 4ltrs of 75w90 g/oil, rear diff is 0.8ltrs of 75w90/80w90 LS oil...........
Old 02 October 2013, 09:53 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot
Old 03 October 2013, 09:29 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AS Performance
Fuchs wouldn't be my choice personally

Any reason for that? We have thousands of happy Fuchs customers.

Millers CFS or Fuchs Pro S 5w-40 are ideal for the engine. Millers CRX 75w-90 is a good choice for the gearbox (although Motul Gear 300 is a more popular choice for that). The Millers CRX 75w-90 NT LS, Fuchs Syn 5 or Fuchs Gear 90LS are ideal for the diff.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-gear-oils.aspx
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-679-sae-90-gear-oils.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Old 03 October 2013, 10:19 AM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Tim,I couldn't find the exact ones but I am a bit of a newbie.cheers for the advice though.
Old 03 October 2013, 11:50 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

my Fuchs/Silkolene comment is a personal opinion based on many years of dealings, testing, competition and engine building..............

the likes of Millers CFS or Motul 300v bears no comparison to them...............IMO
Old 03 October 2013, 12:08 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

That's quite odd as most of our sponsored drivers use it and many have used it for years, with no issues. As Fuchs oils are our biggest sellers, I would have thought we'd have picked up on issues with it by now.

Cheers

Tim
Old 03 October 2013, 12:57 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

it has one thing going for it, its "cheap"................and looks like you answered your own question - "sponsored drivers"

other than that we have seen enough specific issues/problems (that have not been replicated by other oils) to have little or no confidence in their product - and i generally wont recommend (or sell) something i have little or no faith in / we have no need to be a "one stop" shop for every fluid on the market

as with most products we can & do supply it if there is a specific request but our pricing on the others is more than competitive to negate any real need

i have to put my hand in my pocket for my own oils and only use Millers & Motul, end of
Old 03 October 2013, 01:07 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

I don't see how Fuchs is cheap, the Pro S and Millers CFS are the same price, Fuchs manufacturer spec oils are usually more expensive than Millers.

When our sponsored drivers can take their pick of our range and many of them go for the Fuchs, how does that make it a biased result?

It would be really good if you could show us some evidence of those problems as we'd like to go to Fuchs with them, after all we don't want to be selling rubbish. We've not seen any correlation between Fuchs oils and engine problems.
Old 03 October 2013, 01:18 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

we will continue to have differing views, maybe because we do just a little bit more than sell.........

Silkolene/Fuchs didn't seem that fussed and neither ourselves or most of our customers have the unlimited budget to continually look for issues that never appear with a different product - the evidence is clear enough for me and our customers involved over a number of different specifications / applications, i dont feel the need to "prove" my views by investing more money on something i can already see
Old 03 October 2013, 05:22 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

I guess we are going to disagree as I never get any reasoning, just 'because I say so' as a reason. If we had problems with any of the brands that we deal with, we'd go to the manufacturer and if we didn't get a satisfactory result, stop selling and recommending their products. We still sell fuchs, which I think shows that we don't have problems with their oils, even though we sell more of that than any other brand. A few things have come up with certain products over time and Fuchs have looked into it and have given us answers that explain things properly, including getting in gearbox experts to look at the effects of one oil.
Old 03 October 2013, 08:44 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

strange you mention that as it seems your "word" seems to carry more weight than mine, i'm supposed to take your word and discount things i have learned from costly experiences.............. maybe i'll need to get a letter off me mam to back me up

just so it keeps you happy, in passing to name a few instances................

poor oil pressure after arduous/sustained use and poor recovery times once allowed to stabilise again, strange engine issues/wear/problems, extra mechanical noise in use from both gear-train and engine.................

all never encountered previous to using said products and never encountered again after going back to more tried, tested & trusted options - these were not one-off instances but gleaned over approx 2 seasons and numerous specs of cars with one consistent denominator

i'm out, carry on as you were
Old 04 October 2013, 05:16 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Thanks for that, I appreciate the feedback with the oils, but I can quite happily say that we don't get issues like that reported to us. It could be because the Millers CFS might be the more popular choice with Imprezas, but it might not be. Difficult to say.

I would agree that Fuchs don't really make ideal stuff for the gearbox - on paper the Syn 5 is ideal, but it doesn't work out well. They are coming out with a new top end gear oil soon though. Their Syn 5 and Gear 90LS are spot on for diffs though.

Cheers

Tim
Old 04 October 2013, 07:51 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

so you now admit what i stated was fact and you have even seen certain issues yourselves?? i have far too much integrity to allow our company to endorse or support products we ourselves have no faith in

this is not simply related to Impreza engines, we are (and have been) involved in engineering/technical support and mechanical rebuilds, etc. with various marques over the years

once bitten, twice shy

Last edited by AS Performance; 04 October 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06 October 2013, 09:29 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

You're reading a bit more into it than I said. The syn 5 didn't work out that well for some Impreza gearboxes (not all). The rest of the oils have been fine.