Notices

exhaust woes

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2013, 01:48 PM
v8-fd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust woes

so, I've owned my impreza for a while now, and this little issue has drove me up the wall ever since I bought it. Its a 54 model year wrx wagon.

Basically, the rear section of the exhaust is knocking on the rear subframe. Well, I should say it is permanently touching. I finally decided while I have time today that I was going to cut an inch from the pipe just after the subframe, and weld it into the pipe just before the subframe, thus moving the bend rearwards away from the subframe where it contacts. Unfortunately, there is no straight pipe rearwards of the subframe, so that idea is out of the question.

While I was rolling around under there, I also noticed that the hanger just after the subframe is not connected. this is because the hanger points towards the passenger side of the car, but the mount the car and the rubber are on the drivers side of the pipe. Ive attached a pic at the bottom of the post.

So, are the exhausts on wagon and saloon models the same? I was wondering if the previous owner fitted a saloon exhaust perhaps, but as far as I am aware though they are both the same anyway? If they are the same, does anybody have an idea why this rear silencer doesn't fit my car properly? If I have to buy another then I will do, but dont want to buy another that doesnt fit properly.

Its a magnex on there at the moment by the way, perhaps magnex exhausts are just a crap fit?

Old 06 October 2013, 02:03 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

What exhaust you are running?

Is this exhaust from Classic or its for New age?

If its from Classic then,this hanger is in the different place like on the New age,without the re-welding you can't use this hanger

Try put this hanger to the rubber,should fit there

We are used several exhaust ranging from classic or new age and all has been from Saloon/sedan and all of them has been fitted perfectly,just from classic this hanger hasn't been fitted,can be fitted but you will need re-weld to correct place

Jura
Old 06 October 2013, 02:10 PM
v8-fd
Scooby Regular

rear section is magnex, centre section is milltek. Ive no idea whether the rear section was originally designed for a classic or newage, as it was on the car before I bought it.

The hanger isnt my main concern, its the fact that its touching the subframe.
Old 06 October 2013, 02:15 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

This touching the subframe as above can be due hanger is in the rubber,as above I've said,we run several different exhaust(from Nur Spec to HKS and now to BuddyClub) on our wagon without the single issue

Jura
Old 06 October 2013, 02:16 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Looks like a classic exhaust fitted to a newage, also doesn't help you have different brands, exhaust systems are not always the same length, some have a shorter centre and a longer rear, I have a few systems for mine and when you lay them out together you notice how different they are tho in your case I can't see that making much different as there isn't much room before or after the slight bend

Last edited by blackvenom; 06 October 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06 October 2013, 02:17 PM
v8-fd
Scooby Regular

its definitely not caused by the hangers mate. the one that is the wrong way round isnt connected. it is so hard up against the subframe that i physically cant move it
Old 06 October 2013, 02:24 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8-fd
its definitely not caused by the hangers mate. the one that is the wrong way round isnt connected. it is so hard up against the subframe that i physically cant move it
This Magnex Backbox(rear section) is from classic and due this is wrong way round and due this you have this issue,but in both cases you shouldn't have any knocking noise from the exhaust

Its this noise coming definitely from exhaust ?

Can be the yours shocks starting to knock or ARB's,droplinks etc

And as above said,this doesn't helping have two different backbox and centre section

Jura
Old 06 October 2013, 02:35 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Take the back box off. Heat the hanger and twist it round to point the other way. Personally id remove the centre section as well. There is some adjusment that can be made before the bolts are fully tightened. This is just poorly fitted and adjusted. imo
Old 06 October 2013, 03:34 PM
v8-fd
Scooby Regular

ill have to get underneath and take another look when ive got some new gaskets etc.

with regards to the possibility of it being caused by the milltek centre section, the front and rearmost hangers are aligned perfectly, from front to back and left to right. this leads me to think the problem lies in the rear silencer rather than the centre section, although I wont rule out the possibility. specially seeing as the previous owner bodged absolutely everything he ever did to the car.

there isnt much point in modifying the hanger, as using it would actually pull the exhaust towards the subframe that it is already touching.

it is definitely the exhaust making the noise. it knocks when the car is stationary.

like i say ill take another look when i get the chance. would have been nice to know for definite either way whether the exhaust was at fault. it could be a month before i get the time to have another look, and if i need to replace anything that i don't already have then it could be another month or so before i get the time to fit it. cest la vie