Scooby Noobie - First Impreza!

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2013, 10:00 AM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby Noobie - First Impreza!

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here, just purchased my first Impreza from a friend and looking to do a few upgrades, I wanted to check with you guys before I do anything stupid.....

The car is a 55 plate Hawkeye WRX. Bought it from a friend, he listed the following mods:

Alloy racing radiator
Japspeed exhaust manifold (heat wrapped)
Full 3" stainless exhaust
baileys dump valve (meh - its not that loud thankfully)
Exedy stage 1 clutch
Apex lowering springs
... the rest is just cosmetic.

SO, the question, to get a bit more power without going mad with money... I have read the tuning guide and I assume I will need to source:

- High flow panel filter (Green preferably)
- Decat downpipe (or sports cat?)
- Remap.

I would like to aim for 260-280 or so but of course as always it depends on the sorta cash I'm going to be spending. Also, I am in Swindon so contacting Mr Bob Rawle for the remap....good idea?

I know all of this info is available on the forums but I wanted to check before spending loads in case I am not understanding correctly.

Apologies if you think this is unnecessary or in the wrong section or anything....

Thanks for your time

BTW: I am loving this car, it's SO satisfying..... that burble!!!!
Old 09 October 2013, 10:13 AM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

Also to upgrade: Fuel pump....... missed that one out.
Old 09 October 2013, 12:51 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Firstly, welcome aboard.

You will find two strains of argument on here soon enough; those who will offer you advice on a route to achieve the power figure you want, and those who suggest that you modify the car to fully utilise the power already available.

In other words, a car with 300bhp with well sorted suspension and handling will usually outperform a 400bhp car whose geometry and stance have been left completely untouched.

To that end, invest in new drop links and anti roll bars. It'll feel faster because the car is able to put down more of its available power. Anti lift kit is optional but will add to the effect.

Then, further down the line, invest in some coilovers to replace the lowering springs, and have it all set up correctly. You'll enjoy the difference, to say the least.

You'll also have the advantage of having it set up to handle more power in the future.

Before any of that though - get some pictures up, let's see what you have

Last edited by ace1981; 09 October 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10 October 2013, 10:32 AM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

Hi Ace,

Thanks for your reply!

Would this make it more uncomfortable for passengers? The ride is real stiff at the moment (compared to my old focus estate xD) and I don't want to make it any worse!

I'll get some pics tonight
Old 10 October 2013, 12:45 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

You'll notice it, but I'd imagine it would feel firm to you anyway having come from a Focus estate.

Anti roll bars will certainly make the car feel firmer to passengers; as the driver, you'll just notice it handles much better. But I'm sure you've not bought an Impreza to ensure the comfort and enjoyment of your passengers

You will need to address the stance and handling at some point during the modification, however; might as well do it first and give yourself a good platform to build on when chasing power figures.
Old 15 October 2013, 05:35 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

OP didn't want to go mad on spending! if it were me I'd just get filter, decat, fuel pump and map, then save for your suspension mods.
And launch the Bailey over the fence and get HKS!
If you are in the area, Bob R is the man to see about mapping.
Old 15 October 2013, 07:12 PM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

Thanks djsparra

With regards to decat, would you full decat and swap back for MOT, or keep the second cat?

I keep forgetting to take pictures......... 0_o
Old 15 October 2013, 07:57 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Not sure where cats are on the Hawk. If you are defo gonna be mapping and you are gonna keep the engine mods coming in the future you might as well full Decat. Personally I can't be bothered to keep swapping out for the MOT so i've got standard DP with cat and HKS back plus the cat keeps the dB's down. I might go for sport cat when the standard gives up.
Old 16 October 2013, 12:39 PM
ace1981
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djsparra
OP didn't want to go mad on spending!
And launch the Bailey over the fence and get HKS!
Nobody ever does want to go mad on spending when modifying our cars - but it happens to almost all of us Impreza drivers. Let's all be honest with each other here
Old 16 October 2013, 02:38 PM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

I'm sure I will end up spending a packet on it! I think if i was going for a track day car, the handling would be priority but it's a daily driver so I don't really want to stiffen it any more.

Thanks for the suggestion of the HKS, I really can't justify spending so much money on something that sounds so bad! ;P

I think I may go the route of airfilter-back decat as no remapping will be required (i think) and then do the second decat that will take muuuch longer and a remap at the same time.

Anyone have a hawkeye and could confirm that just having the back cat is ok for MOTs?

Thanks,
Old 16 October 2013, 03:11 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can leave one cat and not re-map.

Ace - So true, i've had to buy a sheilded alarm this week. Didn't see that one coming!!
Old 16 October 2013, 04:13 PM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

As promised

Bad camera, bad light, bad angles. I'll get better ones when I'm not using a phone

Also one of the mods.... MMMMMMMMM SHINY!

(hopefully that worked!)
Old 16 October 2013, 04:23 PM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VXTfour
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here, just purchased my first Impreza from a friend and looking to do a few upgrades, I wanted to check with you guys before I do anything stupid.....

The car is a 55 plate Hawkeye WRX. Bought it from a friend, he listed the following mods:

Alloy racing radiator
Japspeed exhaust manifold (heat wrapped)
Full 3" stainless exhaust
baileys dump valve (meh - its not that loud thankfully)
Exedy stage 1 clutch
Apex lowering springs
... the rest is just cosmetic.

SO, the question, to get a bit more power without going mad with money... I have read the tuning guide and I assume I will need to source:

- High flow panel filter (Green preferably)
- Decat downpipe (or sports cat?)
- Remap.

I would like to aim for 260-280 or so but of course as always it depends on the sorta cash I'm going to be spending. Also, I am in Swindon so contacting Mr Bob Rawle for the remap....good idea?

I know all of this info is available on the forums but I wanted to check before spending loads in case I am not understanding correctly.

Apologies if you think this is unnecessary or in the wrong section or anything....

Thanks for your time

BTW: I am loving this car, it's SO satisfying..... that burble!!!!

Hey buddy I've got a 07 wrx got 3" from turbo back, up rated fuel pump and spark plugs remap by bob Rawle and in on 291/371 which I'm super happy with. As for looks its same colour black best in my eyes. Just I have no spoiler total naked ****. Slowly getting cosmetics sorted.

Last edited by NuNu9977; 16 October 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 16 October 2013, 04:46 PM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NuNu9977
Hey buddy I've got a 07 wrx got 3" from turbo back, up rated fuel pump and spark plugs remap by bob Rawle and in on 291/371 which I'm super happy with. As for looks its same colour black best in my eyes. Just I have no spoiler total naked ****. Slowly getting cosmetics sorted.
Full decat? Did you need different sparkplugs? I thought the standard ones were good for quite a lot of power?!

Either you have a Hi/Lo boost switch or that's a phone number.....?
Old 16 October 2013, 04:50 PM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VXTfour
Full decat? Did you need different sparkplugs? I thought the standard ones were good for quite a lot of power?!

Either you have a Hi/Lo boost switch or that's a phone number.....?
Was advised to change to NGK. Been in my mates classic pushing 330bhp feels totally different. Mine feels stronger
Old 17 October 2013, 09:36 AM
VXTfour
Scooby Newbie

NGK iridium? (just looked on their website)

Did you do a full decat?