Notices

Oil temp on defi not passing 70 degrees....

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2013, 06:45 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil temp on defi not passing 70 degrees....

Noticed the other day on my defis the oil temp needle will not pass 70. Seen it flicker Upto 80 then drop back down. Took the car on a run approx 10mile and still sits at 70 degrees. Checked wires all ok, car had been sat for a week and was fine before this and noticed what looks like a leak from off side rocker cover! Could this be related? Oil changed around two weeks ago with millers 5-40 fully synthetic and oil pres is as normal no drop at all. Any thoughts guys?

Martin
Old 13 October 2013, 09:31 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running an external oil cooler? If so,does it have a thermoststic plate.
Where have you tapped into the oil system to mount the temp sensor as it should read higher than 70 degrees after being driven on boost.

Mick
Old 13 October 2013, 10:06 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
Are you running an external oil cooler? If so,does it have a thermoststic plate.
Where have you tapped into the oil system to mount the temp sensor as it should read higher than 70 degrees after being driven on boost.

Mick
Hi mick nope no oil cooler mate, unsure where the sensors tapped in too as I had them installed at scoobyspares. Have had no problem with oil temp untill recently. With oil being 5-40 should it not get hot quicker too?

Strange how it gets to 70 though and stops there, guessing if it was a faulty sensor it'd stop it even reaching 70 degrees too. Confused

Martin
Old 13 October 2013, 10:14 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rocker leak should have no effect, i changed it on emmas bug a few weeks back and the oil temp always ran the same before and after.

id say its a faulty gauge or sender, the oil weight wont make a great deal of difference as the 5 is the cold rating its still 40w when hot.

the oil temp sender is usually underneath the intercooler on top of cylinder 3, unless it has a sandwich plate in which case its under the oil filter.
Old 13 October 2013, 10:18 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
the rocker leak should have no effect, i changed it on emmas bug a few weeks back and the oil temp always ran the same before and after.

id say its a faulty gauge or sender, the oil weight wont make a great deal of difference as the 5 is the cold rating its still 40w when hot.

the oil temp sender is usually underneath the intercooler on top of cylinder 3, unless it has a sandwich plate in which case its under the oil filter.
Cheers Dan. Will take it to have it seen to this week, not 100% but think the sender is under the intercooler. Hopefully it's an easy fix but keeping it off boost till it's sorted

Martin
Old 13 October 2013, 10:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Martin

As above I would say yours sensor can be faulty,which is not common with the Defi and DeFi sensors are not cheapest too

I would check wiring on the sensor and on the controller/gauge

Jura
Old 13 October 2013, 10:25 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Martin

As above I would say yours sensor can be faulty,which is not common with the Defi and DeFi sensors are not cheapest too

I would check wiring on the sensor and on the controller/gauge

Jura
Hi Jura

Thanks mate ill check over all wiring making sure nothing's loose tomorrow. Hopefully not the sensor and an easy fix just bloody annoying

Martin