need advice on engine and gearbox choice

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2013, 07:08 PM
70ccrossi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on engine and gearbox choice

Hi, guys

I am a new happy subaru owner from the netherlands! A few weeks ago i picked up a GF8 sti wagon version 2!

Now, i now that often the engines on early impreza's will turn bad, this one has a bigger turbo, fuelpump, injectores etc. According to the last owner the car is running around the 300 hp. The gearbox is a bit tatty, 1 gear is ok, 2 gear also, 3 gear has a whine in it, 4 gear will slide in but very difficult, 5 is ok 5 to 4 is not possible without crunching the gearbox. The engine is running fine, oil pressure sits between 6/7 bar. starts with no problem and already made a lot of trouble free miles since i got it.

Ideally i want to swap a newage engine and gearbox in the car, but don't really now which route is the safest. I am looking for a reliable 350bhp and hope to swap all the mods on this engine on the new one. Newage gearboxes also have different gear ratio's so i might have to swap the rear diff with it ,or would maybe a classic dccd gearbox better?.

Engine code: EJ20GDW5PE
Trans: TY752VB4AA

Hope to get some advice on this, i am a bit of a beginner with subarus!

Thanks
Old 15 October 2013, 08:43 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome, there are lots of choices but ultimately it depends on your budget.

The cheapest option would be to go for a new age wrx engine and box, both will be happy running 350bhp but that would be the max that you'd want to put through either.

If your after future proofing then the minimum wants to be STI short block and use your existing heads just because it's the easiest way, not sure if you have the slanty intercooler on your model, but either way you may struggle to get 350bhp on a classic top mount, but you will get 330bhp on a classic STI top mount.

As for the gear box your looking at anywhere from £1,200 to £2,500 for a 6 speed and £3/500 for a 5 speed, so like I said budget is the main factor really.

The new age STI route is the one that most take but it's not cheap @ circa £3k just for parts, if you want good low ish milage ones.

You'll need to match the final drive ratio to the box and they are usually sold as a pair, but check which rear diff you have first and what the final drive ratio is, if you go 6 speed make sure you get the "full set up" for conversion.
Old 15 October 2013, 08:56 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 496 Likes on 339 Posts

welcome,nice looking wagon you got there

it all depends on budget really as ditchy said

i would go sti 8 bottom end (£600 ish) and a low mileage 5 speed from a classic or a newage (£400 ish)

my 5 speed let go @ 264bhp and my current 5 speed came from a car running over 380bhp so there really is no bhp limit-its how its driven and looked after thats the deciding factor

ive just bought a 6-speed full set up as im aiming for big power next year

might be worth sourcing all the parts in this country and having a road trip to collect them
Old 15 October 2013, 08:59 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 496 Likes on 339 Posts

heres whet you need matey

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...ottom-end.html

and the gearbox set up from this car

https://www.scoobynet.com/full-cars-...l#post11236077
Old 15 October 2013, 11:30 AM
70ccrossi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,

Thanks for your reaction, I think i will go for a sti v8 bottom end and a low mileage gearbox.. But this being a classic will everything just bolt on? things like:

coilpacks
waterhoses
belts etc
sparkplugs
engine mounts
Injectors
Turbo
Exhaust
ecu

My intercooler is a front mount one, don't really know which brand but it's a reasonable sized one. Maybe a noob question but do i need to run a aftermarket ecu like a power fc or is my current ecu also good for dyno.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
Old 15 October 2013, 02:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it's all a straight swap if you use your existing heads.

Your cheapest and best option for ECU is ESL daughter board and remap, Duncan aka Race dynamics does it.