Notices

Perrin Turbo Inlet Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2013, 07:08 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Perrin Turbo Inlet Pipe

Hey guys, I've been looking to buy a Perrin turbo inlet pipe for a while now and have researched it a lot online. It seemed to be the usual thing about looking around the internet for information - some people have the complete opposite opinion to others and I can never find a consistent answer. Some people say they are a nightmare to fit, some people say it's a piece of cake. So in the end I went for it and just thought I'd figure it out for myself. Well it's just arrived now and basically from what I can see it's hillarious.....

How the f*** is that meant to go in place of that original inlet pipe?! I mean seriously?! Where the standard one narrows down as it goes around the bend by the power steering pump, the Perrin one is absolutely MASSIVE. I just don't understand, from where I'm standing there is no point in even attempting to fit it because it's actually physically impossible. I'm sure there are people who've managed it though? Has anyone here got any photos of one fitted into a classic? Mine is a MY00. Are there any top tips that I'm missing like moving something in the engine bay to create more room? Any into would be hugely appreciated as I think I might try and send it back for a refund otherwise
Old 15 October 2013, 07:11 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

I think you need some inlet manifold spacers to give you more room rcm or cdf should sell them. cheers gary
Old 15 October 2013, 07:11 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Also, another thing I forgot to mention - the standard inlet pipe on the car has 4 'exits' that other pipes connect to, but the Perrin has 5
Old 15 October 2013, 07:14 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobygaz1
I think you need some inlet manifold spacers to give you more room rcm or cdf should sell them. cheers gary
Hi Gary, thanks for that info. That wouldn't give any more room on the bend by the power steering pump though would it? It looks to me like the power steering pump needs to go forward, but it can't
Old 15 October 2013, 07:15 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Also is this a 76mm pipe, is your turbo inet the same size 76mm or 58mm?

Last edited by scoobygaz1; 15 October 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 15 October 2013, 07:21 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Also is this a 76mm pipe, is your turbo inet the same size 76mm or 58mm?
No it's a 56mm one, and it's going onto a td04 hybrid
Old 15 October 2013, 07:32 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

I think you need a power steering relocation kit rcm do them £265 inc vat. Mine needed it but was a 76mm yours might be different !

Last edited by scoobygaz1; 15 October 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 15 October 2013, 07:34 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just installed a samco one on my car, do you have standard fuel rails? If so you will need to lift the inlet mani up and undo the 2 bolts and the fuel pressure reg to get it in place, and even then it is a bit of a squeeze. Mine was the version 4 inlet so mine has an extra bit on it as well, guessing yours is like a version 5.
Old 15 October 2013, 07:37 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Don't know if this will help but here's mine.

Old 15 October 2013, 07:39 PM
Streetracersti
Scooby Regular

looking on your picture - I don't think it will fit

When I was changing mine couple months ago I was looking at perrin, but this big elbow
put me off, and I end up with viper performance one - it narrows as stock one on the bend - no problem till today at all

good luck

Last edited by Streetracersti; 15 October 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 15 October 2013, 07:45 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

Give Brendy76 a shout, he has one fitted to his bugeye. He'll have pics of it fitted
Old 15 October 2013, 08:06 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Tyler. I hope you didn't have to take your engine bay apart that much just to get your inlet pipe on!

Originally Posted by Streetracersti
Yeah I think I agree with you on that one!

Thanks for the info on the power steering pump relocation kit Gaz. I love how I always end up with bits to put on my car that apparenty just fit.....and then I always end up having to buy loads of other stuff to make them fit lol. Like my version 8 STI top mount intercooler that would go 'straight on' Don't even get me started lol.....
Old 15 October 2013, 08:53 PM
Tyler 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simonds1
Thanks for that Tyler. I hope you didn't have to take your engine bay apart that much just to get your inlet pipe on!
no I didn't need to bud, had the front seal on power steering pump go, engine bay was covered. It was annoying me so pulled auxiliaries off to clean engine bay.
Old 15 October 2013, 08:55 PM
jake1989
Scooby Regular

you sure thats not a newage one perrin have sent you?
Old 15 October 2013, 09:50 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jake1989
you sure thats not a newage one perrin have sent you?
That's a very good question, and I'm not sure how I tell? I got it from scoobyclinic and the image on their website for the classic (93-00) and newage (01-02) ones are absolutely identical. Maybe that would also explain the fact it's got 5 'connections' for other pipes, whereas the standard inlet pipe on my car only has 4?
Old 15 October 2013, 10:08 PM
jake1989
Scooby Regular

My newage viper hose had 5 connections ;-) have a word with scoobyclinic,they will know for sure, if not certainly need a power steering relocation kit!
Old 16 October 2013, 12:06 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Okay, so the plot thickens.....

I just spoke to an online chat support person on the Perrin US website, who asked me to give him the part number for the pipe, so I looked on the box and told him.....

He assured me that 401 was the correct number for the pipe I needed for a MY00 classic, even though the label only mentions 02-07 WRX's and 08+ STI's!? After the conversation had ended, I happened to notice completely by accident, that there was also a part number on the inlet pipe itself.....

.....which just happens to be different! 403 instead of 401, and also it starts with an 'X' on the pipe, and there is no 'X' on the box?! So I think it does look like I have been sent the wrong pipe, which is why it looks so ridiculous against the existing one on the car! I've emailed scoobyclinic so will see what they have to say tomorrow
Old 16 October 2013, 10:39 AM
jake1989
Scooby Regular

Looks to me then it's been packed wrong
Have a word and I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it ;-)
Old 16 October 2013, 01:09 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Streetracersti

When I was changing mine couple months ago I was looking at perrin, but this big elbow
put me off, and I end up with viper performance one - it narrows as stock one on the bend - no problem till today at all

good luck
I have been told the Viper hoses require alot of cutting and messing about to make them fit, is this true?
Thanks
Old 16 October 2013, 01:12 PM
jake1989
Scooby Regular

I had a viper on my newage,had a huge kink in it on the tight bend next to turbo,and had to cut turbo end to make fit even half decent. was never happy with it to be honest.
Perrin fit much better(on a newage anyway lol)
Old 16 October 2013, 01:37 PM
just me
Scooby Regular

Cheers, will stick to samco I think.
Old 16 October 2013, 05:31 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Just to update, have talked to scoobyclinic and yeah it looks like it's been packed wrong so I've got the correct box, with the wrong inlet pipe! Doh. They are sending me the right one today, before I've even sent the old one back to them. So that, ontop of the fact they've been really helpful, gets a big plus vote for their customer service from me
Old 16 October 2013, 05:59 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Glad you got it sorted, may the spending continue lol
Old 18 October 2013, 05:39 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, just thought I'd post a final update for anyone that's interested. Have received the correct pipe now, and I haven't had a chance to send the old one back so I could compare the two side by side.....

The difference isn't actually that obvious in that photo. The 403 pipe (wrong one) is at the top, and the 401 pipe (correct) is at the bottom. Here's a closer up view of the ends.....

The 401 (correct) pipe is on the left. You can see it's much narrower where it goes around the bend sorta thing. I haven't been out and held it in the engine bay to see if the fitting of it looks any more likely than before, as it's been pouring with rain ever since I had it. Should be much better though hopefully

Only thing confusing me now is the fact that the inlet pipe still has five 'connections' on it, whereas the standard one on the car only has four? And also, two plastic bits of 'framework' came with the pipe, and I have no idea what the hell they're for! Any ideas?!.....

Old 18 October 2013, 08:33 PM
jake1989
Scooby Regular

glad you got it sorted then

as for 5 connectors,maybe an extra breather?
block it off would be my advice if not fitting a catch can and retaining oem return systems.
Old 18 October 2013, 08:41 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simonds1
Hey guys, just thought I'd post a final update for anyone that's interested. Have received the correct pipe now, and I haven't had a chance to send the old one back so I could compare the two side by side.....

The difference isn't actually that obvious in that photo. The 403 pipe (wrong one) is at the top, and the 401 pipe (correct) is at the bottom. Here's a closer up view of the ends.....

The 401 (correct) pipe is on the left. You can see it's much narrower where it goes around the bend sorta thing. I haven't been out and held it in the engine bay to see if the fitting of it looks any more likely than before, as it's been pouring with rain ever since I had it. Should be much better though hopefully

Only thing confusing me now is the fact that the inlet pipe still has five 'connections' on it, whereas the standard one on the car only has four? And also, two plastic bits of 'framework' came with the pipe, and I have no idea what the hell they're for! Any ideas?!.....

The frames look like American number plate holders ?
Old 19 October 2013, 12:40 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

The frames look like American number plate holders ?
That's a good shout actually! I was thinking they looked about the size of the standard top mount intercooler.....but then why would there be two of them, and why would they have screw holes cuz you're not exactly gonna screw down into the top of the intercooler