Notices

Calling all Thick ARB owners - clonk clonk!

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2013, 11:43 AM
morgentau
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Calling all Thick ARB owners - clonk clonk!

Hi all,

I've updated my sti bugeye with a rear Perrin arb 25mm (on soft setting), Perrin stout mounts and CDF alloy C-shaped droplinks. Now, I understand that I have to say goodbye to stock comfy ride and get used to some additional noise - but now i keep hearing Clunk&Clonk all the time on low tiny bumps/humps up to the point when I build some speed and the clonking gets overlapped by engine sound and ambient stuff.
Sometimes when i start the car and pull away - it remains silent for an hour or so but 90% of the time it is noisy straight away. (Never happened on stock arb/bushes/mounts before.)

Any advice guys? Grease the arb bushes maybe?

I am uncertain if I like it or not - but is that a price you have to pay to have your rear end really stiff and responsive? And I'm happy with that much stiffness - it's just the clonk which makes me mad

P.S. Stock shocks/springs.

P.P.S. This concerns the rear only - as I havent updated the front arb yet - need to replace subframe which is cracked, so the front arb is off making my front end feel like a mashmallow!
Old 16 November 2013, 12:44 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morgentau
Hi all,

I've updated my sti bugeye with a rear Perrin arb 25mm (on soft setting), Perrin stout mounts and CDF alloy C-shaped droplinks. Now, I understand that I have to say goodbye to stock comfy ride and get used to some additional noise - but now i keep hearing Clunk&Clonk all the time on low tiny bumps/humps up to the point when I build some speed and the clonking gets overlapped by engine sound and ambient stuff.
Sometimes when i start the car and pull away - it remains silent for an hour or so but 90% of the time it is noisy straight away. (Never happened on stock arb/bushes/mounts before.)

Any advice guys? Grease the arb bushes maybe?

I am uncertain if I like it or not - but is that a price you have to pay to have your rear end really stiff and responsive? And I'm happy with that much stiffness - it's just the clonk which makes me mad

P.S. Stock shocks/springs.

P.P.S. This concerns the rear only - as I havent updated the front arb yet - need to replace subframe which is cracked, so the front arb is off making my front end feel like a mashmallow!
get some pics up of how its been fitted,is it the correct arb?the arb bushes should be greased when fitted.you shouldn't get clunking noises just from fitting a stiffer arb.
Old 16 November 2013, 01:13 PM
morgentau
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
get some pics up of how its been fitted,is it the correct arb?the arb bushes should be greased when fitted.you shouldn't get clunking noises just from fitting a stiffer arb.
Thanks for advice! I was sure it was a correct arb for my car. Here is a picture:

Last edited by morgentau; 16 November 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 16 November 2013, 05:36 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Thanks for advice! I was sure it was a correct arb for my car. Here is a picture:

the droplink should be on the outside of the arb so it clears it when the suspension goes up an down.you sure its the correct arb?
Old 16 November 2013, 06:02 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

It's definitely the correct anti roll bar, it came off my 2003 Blobeye STi Spec C which was a narrow track model.
Old 16 November 2013, 06:02 PM
morgentau
Scooby Regular

well, i was certain it would fit my car.. but now i am feeling very stoopid

Looks like it's a widetrack arb then?

Originally Posted by bigarf
the droplink should be on the outside of the arb so it clears it when the suspension goes up an down.you sure its the correct arb?
Old 16 November 2013, 06:05 PM
morgentau
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
It's definitely the correct anti roll bar, it came off my 2003 Blobeye STi Spec C which was a narrow track model.
Thanks for the input Tyron!

Is is fitted incorrectly then? I remember there was no way to position the droplinks the other way around the bar mount
Old 16 November 2013, 06:16 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

http://perrinperformance.com/i-13324...02-07-wrx.html

This is the anti roll bar with stout mounts that was supplied, even though it states WRX I believe that it's the same kit.

The Perrin website no longer lists fitments for STi narrow track models for some reason.
Old 16 November 2013, 06:20 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input Tyron!

Is is fitted incorrectly then? I remember there was no way to position the droplinks the other way around the bar mount
The drop links should be fitted to the outside of the bar, I'm really at a loss as to why you're having the fitment issue.

Have a look at the Perrin link I've posted above, you can find a download to a fitment guide in PDF format.
Old 16 November 2013, 06:57 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe just a bit more forceful to get the bar inside the mounts?