Notices

Next mods.... Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2014, 07:06 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next mods.... Classic

Im running our of ideas on what to do next!

I have a V2 4 door classic. I have had the car about 1 year.

So far I have had the engine rebuilt, replaced gearbox and now I am running out of ideas!
At present the car is street only, maybe in 4 years will be converted to a track car! But still daily driver for the mean time!

The mod list is below!

Engine:

Mahle forged pistons
Eagle rods
ARP head studs
Semi closed deck block
12mm STI oil pump
STI V4 Heads high flow
STI V8 ignition coils

Front mounted intercooler (water spray)
TD05-20G STS billet turbo
Walbaro fuel pump
750cc injectors
Aeromotive reg
Parallel fuel rails
ESL ECU Mafless
3" turbo back exhaust
Tomei expreme exhaust headers
KN air filter
Oil Cooler- thermostatic
Alloy Racing radiator

BC BR coil over suspension
17x9 XXR wheels
STI 4 Pot brakes (4+1)

ACT stage 4 race clutch
STI V5 TY754 gear box and diff

I am currently get a wide body kit installed on the front and flares on the rear!

As this car is my main hobby and way to keep busy! Any suggestions on where to go from here?!
Old 07 January 2014, 08:26 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Your next best mod will surely be an uprated gearbox? weather it be a 5ppg or 6speed. At least then you won't have to nurse your current box, which will be on its limits at the moment.

Joe
Old 07 January 2014, 12:21 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Was on my list too.. Having to run lowish boost as I don't wanna blow another box!
Old 07 January 2014, 01:43 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Brembos might be an idea also, plus is your chassis spec just coilovers? How about ARB's/droplinks/Anti Lift? What tyres do you have?

Do you have stock engine mounts?
Old 07 January 2014, 01:59 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Have ARB, Not sure about drop links and no Anti lift. These could be a go'er.
Pretty new to chassis setup, Any chance of into on the benefits of drop links?!
Engine mounts are new stock ones.
Old 07 January 2014, 02:42 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Cool, chassis sounds like a good place to go then! droplinks are not the be all and end all, however with an uprated anti roll bar it makes sense to fit alloy droplinks also, you'll get a little bit of extra stiffness and get rid of another part that could at some point fail, so win win. Also for the rear, stout mounts would be worth a look, these replace the brackets that fix to the body that the rear ARB is bolted to, the standard brackets aren't the strongest of designs, good stout mounts are a vast improvement in terms of strength and will make the most of your ARB and droplinks.

Anti Lift Kit - Impreza's tend to dive at the front under braking and lift under acceleration, a decent ALK will get rid of this characteristic whilst also offering better steering response and improved turn in by providing extra positive caster. (alignment needs to be adjusted upon fitting these)

The front ARB is worth looking at also but depends on what size rear ARB you have as to what you'd do, still you can't go wrong with uprated droplinks and better bushes even if you stick with the stock ARB.

ARB's/Droplinks - main guys are Whitline, Perrin and CDF, I'd probably go for CDF currently.

ALK - Whiteline or CDF

Stout Mounts - Whiteline or Perrin (not sure if CDF do them yet)

This is of course just to give you ideas at the moment and is only scratching the surface of what you can do in terms of chassis mods, of course to see the benefit from all of these mods a proper set up by someone that really knows what they're doing and good tyres are a must.
Old 07 January 2014, 02:46 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I went from where you are now to a six speed, twin plate and a stock location GT30 with 20% meth (don't know if available in Macau?). Capable of low 11 quarter. I will get those motorsport options to you soon as another thing to play with
Old 07 January 2014, 02:48 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Really helpful, Much appreciated! Will get under my car tomorrow and check what the last owner put in there, and go from there!
I would LOVE some big brakes, but my limited to 16" wheels for my annual inspection! So unless I can fit 16" wheels over the brakes I and screwed!
Old 07 January 2014, 02:54 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
I went from where you are now to a six speed, twin plate and a stock location GT30 with 20% meth (don't know if available in Macau?). Capable of low 11 quarter. I will get those motorsport options to you soon as another thing to play with
Thanks Andy, I just replaced my Twin plate carbon with a ACT. The twin plate got VERY juddery! Not so nice on a daily driver!
6 Spd very nearly as installed 2 weeks back, but decided to hold off to this one brakes! (paint and wide body instead)
Im hoping with no hard launches and staying under 1.5 Bar the girl will hold together!
Old 07 January 2014, 02:57 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Send me a pic when it goes wide bro, sounds good....
Old 07 January 2014, 02:59 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running low offset 17" then you shoudl eb able to run big brake kit,we run on 17"(low offset 17") 356mm K-Sport 8pots,you can run like AP 6spots or D2/K-Sport up to 356mm

ARB's I would go with them for sure,22mm at front and 24mm at rear with solid droplinks and maybe would have look on polypushes at least

Jura
Old 07 January 2014, 03:03 PM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
If you are running low offset 17" then you shoudl eb able to run big brake kit,we run on 17"(low offset 17") 356mm K-Sport 8pots,you can run like AP 6spots or D2/K-Sport up to 356mm

ARB's I would go with them for sure,22mm at front and 24mm at rear with solid droplinks and maybe would have look on polypushes at least

Jura
Hi Jura,

Yea I run 17s with ET30. But have to put on my 16" wheels for 1 day a year for the Annual inspection.(Some rather odd rules here). And changing brakes back for one day seems like too much work for me!
Would STI 2 pots not he rear be worth the effort?

Thanks
Dan
Old 07 January 2014, 03:07 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dmacnz
Hi Jura,

Yea I run 17s with ET30. But have to put on my 16" wheels for 1 day a year for the Annual inspection.(Some rather odd rules here). And changing brakes back for one day seems like too much work for me!
Would STI 2 pots not he rear be worth the effort?

Thanks
Dan
Hi Dan

Shame about that,but yes rear 2 pots should be good upgrade,but still I would choose bigger brakes on front too

You are really need bigger brakes at front if you are planning track days etc.

Have run OE 4pots and they're been terrible,I've tried several pads and discs combo and at the end we are went with K-sport and this has been best our decision go with them,they're really worth it

Jura
Old 08 January 2014, 12:09 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Hi Dan

Shame about that,but yes rear 2 pots should be good upgrade,but still I would choose bigger brakes on front too

You are really need bigger brakes at front if you are planning track days etc.

Have run OE 4pots and they're been terrible,I've tried several pads and discs combo and at the end we are went with K-sport and this has been best our decision go with them,they're really worth it

Jura
Would be advantages to swap to some 300mm 6 pots on the front?! Or Would the similar pad area mean no benefit?!
Thanks
Old 08 January 2014, 08:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jura
Don't forget yours is a Newage wagon, which is heavier than a classic, Jura.

The Lateral Banana uses OEM 4 pots in drag spec.

AP 4 pots? http://www.apracing.com/product_deta...28mm_disc.aspx

According to the link the fit under 16's, with the correct offset wheels, although wheel design will need to be taken into account, Dan.
Old 09 January 2014, 05:21 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Liking the AP 4 pots, they'd look pretty cool under a 16's :-) Shame Godspeed don't offer something around 304mm dia. to work with 16's, I've seen they offer a big 2 piece disc upgrade to be used with the Subaru 4 pots, which apparently are an OK caliper but let down by the size and thickness of the discs.
Old 10 January 2014, 02:31 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Anyone tried Kido brakes? Living in Asia, Can pick up brakes in Taiwan with Ease. Looks the same as K Sport?

Also went down and had a look under the car again! Looks like I was wrong! Looks like the Chassis still has the stock roll bars . Something else blue in there I have no idea what it is though!
Looks like ARB, ALK and Drop cars are needed!

Dan

Last edited by Dmacnz; 10 January 2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10 January 2014, 07:20 AM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

That is a rear subframe diff brace mate and yeah the only thing also is looks like you have adjustable rear tie arm aswell but it does have std arb and droplinks
Old 10 January 2014, 09:40 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dmacnz
Anyone tried Kido brakes? Living in Asia, Can pick up brakes in Taiwan with Ease. Looks the same as K Sport?

Also went down and had a look under the car again! Looks like I was wrong! Looks like the Chassis still has the stock roll bars . Something else blue in there I have no idea what it is though!
Looks like ARB, ALK and Drop cars are needed!

Dan
Not heard of Kido, but I expect many of these calipers are made in the same place, do you know of ARMA Speed? Pretty sure they're in Taiwan.

Hey I wouldn't be worried about standard ARB's etc, it just means you've found an area of your car that's ripe for mods!! ;-) (which is what you were looking for afterall lol)
Old 10 January 2014, 09:47 AM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Can I also suggest a Hardrace engine/gearbox mount kit or the ones from RCM if your feeling flush (I know you've not long replaced your mounts with stock ones, but trust me uprated ones do make a big difference, and improve the drive), and also a Beatrush diff brace, which bolts the diff to the rear subframe, again will help massively to tighten the car up.

I can't see your pics atm but I'm guessing the one you have is not what I'm talking about, you may as well leave it in there but I don't think they do a great deal
Old 10 January 2014, 09:25 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How big is your budget, Dan?

Tubular subframes etc are available.

http://tssfab.us/wp/
Old 11 January 2014, 05:58 AM
Dmacnz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
How big is your budget, Dan?

Tubular subframes etc are available.

http://tssfab.us/wp/
Wow that stuff looks impressive!

Budget is open within reason, but still trying to remain a Daily driver! Hard to remember some times!!

I just order a bunch from Whiteline last night.
22mm Front ARB
24mm Rear ARB
Anti lift kit
Drop links (extra heavy duty alloy)

May of found some 304mm K sports too!