Notices
Group Buys Post your Group Buy and subscribe to existing group buys here!

TurboXS UTEC install, map and dyno in the UK with US Tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2006, 10:39 PM
TheMinel
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboXS UTEC install, map and dyno in the UK with US Tuner!

Hi guys

It is with great pleasure that I announce the deal struck with Mark and Jermaine from TurboXS with regards to their UTEC EMS system. I am admin of www.350z-uk.com , and the deal was originally for 350's but since we are struggling to find the last car to complete the 5 needed (350s are relatively new to the UK modding scene), Jermaine has agreed to extend this offer to WRX and Evos (8 and up). I know for a fact that TurboXS and the UTEC EMS are popular with WRX

For those of you who don't know what an UTEC is, read here:

TurboXS UTEC
UTEC standard features include:

Plug-&-Play installation with OEM connectors for 2001-2005 WRX
No cutting, splicing or additional sensors required
20 minute, do-it-yourself installation
End-user programmable via PC or PDA with HyperTerminal and serial cable
Fine tune the maps for your exact setup
Pre-programmed base maps get you started quickly and safely
Base maps for our Staged upgrade packages, dyno proven and road tested from the leader in WRX tuning
Don’t waste hours tuning just to get your car to idle and cruise decently
Maps can be e-mailed or simply downloaded then uploaded
Four (5) maps plus “stock mode” selectable with a flick of the switch
Create custom maps for street gas, race gas, nitrous, or whatever
No need to lug around a laptop just to switch between your programs
Optional remote dash mounted switch available View switch here
Fuel, ignition timing, and boost are programmable in 250rpm increments up to 9000rpm over 10 load sites
Complete ignition timing control
No need to worry about the factory ECU pulling timing anymore
Be as aggressive or conservative as you want or just let the factory ECU determine timing at any point in the map
Fuel control
Controlled via MAF sensor signal offset
Tune stock and larger than stock injectors
Load reference
MAP (manifold pressure)
Closed loop boost control programmable via Throttle Position and RPM
No more re-adjusting the boost controller due to changes in temperature or altitude
Keeps boost low while in closed loop fuel mode for reliability
Knock control
Automatically retards timing when the knock is detected safeguarding against engine damage
Adjustable knock threshold, timing correction, and duration
On board data logging
Provides valuable information to assist you in tuning
Built in programmable solenoid controller
Control nitrous, water injection, intercooler water spray or any other solenoid device
Primary rev limit control
Drag racing launch control (secondary rev limit used during launch)
Shave precious time off your launch
Free software upgrades
As we add more features, simply download the latest software version from our website and upload it to the UTEC.

UTEC FAQ

How does the UTEC increase WRX engine performance?
By allowing the user to tune more aggressive ignition timing, air fuel ratios and boost curves. With 36 RPM sites from 250 RPM to 9000 RPM and 10 load sites, the UTEC gives you 360 possible map points for fuel, ignition timing, and boost.

How much extra power can I expect from the UTEC?
This really depends on the other modifications you have done to your WRX. The UTEC will let you get the most out of whatever hardware you have on your WRX. On a stock WRX, power gains of 30-40 horsepower at the wheels are easily and safely obtained. Adding a freer flowing exhaust, a larger turbo, an upgraded fuel system, etc. will allow even larger power gains. Our staged upgrades will allow you increase horsepower from between 40hp to over 120hp more than stock. We have used the UTEC on our personal WRXs to make even more power. Ultimately, how much power your WRX makes with the UTEC will depend on how well you have prepared the car’s power train and how well the car is tuned.

Is the UTEC a piggy-back computer or a stand alone engine management system?
The UTEC is a really a bit of both. It acts as a stand alone system in that it gives you complete control over ignition timing, fuel and boost under load. The factory ECU is also used to manage some of the more mundane functions that are necessary to keep a car drivable on a daily basis. Some examples are cold start, hot start, and closed loop fuel control under cruise conditions.

Does the UTEC run low impedance injectors?
No.

Do I have to start from scratch and do all the tuning myself?
No. The UTEC comes pre-programmed for various sets of modifications like exhaust, turbo chargers, fuel system upgrades, etc. Although these maps may not be a perfect fit for your exact modifications, they will get you close. However, you will need to fine tune the setup. If you stick to our staged upgrades, you may not have to do any tuning at all if you do not want to.

Can I blow up my engine with the UTEC?
Absolutely! If improperly tuned, the UTEC will give you the ability to destroy your engine in short order. However, as long as your modifications match our kits, our pre-programmed maps offer a good, safe starting point.
What are some of the ad vantages of the UTEC over other engine management systems?
The UTEC comes pre-programmed for a given set of modifications so you can simply plug it in and drive away, yet it is also user tunable allowing you to take full ad vantage of your modifications. It also allows you to create and store up to 5 different programs that can be used at the turn of a dial. There is no need to drive around with your laptop simply to change from one map to another. Maps are easily shared with others via e-mail. You can go back to stock setting with the turn of dial. Data logging is included. The list goes on and on.

Does the UTEC modify the original factory engine control unit?
No. The factory engine control unit is not altered in any way. Removing the UTEC puts all engine management control back in the hands of the unaltered factory ECU.

How do I install the UTEC and how long will it take?
The UTEC simply plugs in to the factory ECU using OEM connectors. Installation takes no longer than 30 minutes and requires no cutting of wire or soldering. Most of the time is spent simply gaining access the factory ECU that is under the carpet in the passenger foot-well.

Who can tune the UTEC?
With a little practice and patience, our belief is that anyone can.

What else do I need to effectively tune the UTEC?
While tuning can be done solely on the road, tuning is most effective when done on an AWD dyno combined with road tuning. For the most accurate fuel tuning you will need a good wideband O2 sensor that is accurate down to at least 10:1. The UTEC logs AFR from the front O2 sensor, but it is only accurate down to about 12:1, which is too lean for normal pump gas. Narrow band AFR gauges that work off of 1V O2 sensors are useless for accurate fuel tuning. For accurately tuning the UTEC's Knock Correction system, some form of knock amplification/detection hardware is required.

What is the warranty on the UTEC?
There is a one (1) year warranty on all UTECs.

more info here: www.turboxs.com

So what's the deal on this?

Thanks to the 350z-uk.com team, we have secured the availabily of Jermaine to come over from the US to the UK and install, tune and teach local tuners how to tune with the UTEC

offer no longer available

Last edited by TheMinel; 21 June 2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 25 February 2006, 11:40 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds great but what about future mapping sessions, who will map it ones a the gurus have gone back to the states?
Old 26 February 2006, 08:30 AM
TheMinel
Scooby Newbie

they are looking for a main european/uk distributor. Jermaine is willing to teach WRC themselves (they are hosting the event in the first place), and if you would like to bring along your own tuner to learn, you can! possibly magazines like JTuner will be tagging along, so would expect a little press coverage to review the whole thing. Also, for what I undertstand, the software, once you get the hang of it, is pretty straightforward, and you might even be able to map it yourself, on a dyno! (if you know what you are doing/have learnt from Jermaine)
Old 28 February 2006, 01:47 PM
TheMinel
Scooby Newbie

noone interested then?
Old 02 March 2006, 11:46 PM
TheMinel
Scooby Newbie

shame as the UTEC is very very popular with WRX owners in the US and surely someone could pioneer it over here too?
Old 03 March 2006, 01:55 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

People are probably a bit wary because it's not as well known as other ecus plus there is a group buy at powerstation for ecutek remaps. Also, if the mapper is coming here from the states then he won't be around to solve any issues that crop up later on.

It sounds like an ideal opportunity to learn about mapping them yourself though, and also sounds like this is a portable device, ie can be moved to the next car and tweaked quite easily. Is that right ? how portable is it ? Can I just unplug and revert to the standard ecu then plug it in to my next car, swap my mods over and tweak the map for that car ?

How does it compare to ecutek, I mean does it allow adjustment of all the same parameters and can the tuning be done as finely as with ecutek ?

If you have an ecutek remap then buy another car, say you go from an 01 to an 04 model year, can you have the software and map moved to the new car or do you have to buy a new licence for the ecu in the new car and start again ?

I would like to get my car remapped but I'm doing 30000 miles per year so I won't be keeping it that long and would like something I can move to the next car. The idea of multiple maps is good, I could do with an economy mode map for the motorway runs and a max power map for the weekend. I can get this with ecutek as well though I think.

Are there any graphs available showing what we could expect in terms of power and torque ? How many people in the uk are currently using this device ?

Cheers
Old 03 March 2006, 07:56 PM
TheMinel
Scooby Newbie

all great questions my friend: what I'll do I'll shoot an email to Jermaine (as I have no idea about Scoobies, sorry!) and surely he'll pop around to answer them!

Old 03 March 2006, 10:38 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Sorry, I can't help you with the ECU, but if you do fine a Subaru to take part, I would be VERY interested for your mapper to quote what bhp/torque figures he would expect from the equivelant spec' of car in the US.

I'm curious to see how the UK dyno's compare to those in the US.

Mark.
Old 04 March 2006, 10:59 AM
TheMinel
Scooby Newbie

ok I emailed Jermaine with links to this thread, to answer the questions you guys have.

Also I have one interested party (via PM) so I'm waiting full confirmation from him.

Old 07 March 2006, 01:19 PM
TheMinel
Scooby Newbie

not received full confirmation from the interested party after 2 PMs sent, so I'm assuming the place is still available...

anyone????
Old 07 March 2006, 02:16 PM
Rice Rocket..
Scooby Regular

I'll do it for free!! to give him a 2001 WRX to map with feeback. name the time and place!

Rice Rocket