Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

new car ice install

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2003, 03:38 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to do this bit by bit and the first thing is the head unit. I will get it professionally installed so if it rattles I have someone to complain at other than the voices in my head.

Im looking at a indash cd chager (blaupunkt stylee). and a head unit to match. I would like a MD player but dont rate the blaupunkt one.

so looks like a a09 in dash changer and either a new orleans md72 or a san francisco cd72.

questions are

1. does anybody else make an indash changer (I cant find one).
2. will the blaupunkt one work with a different type head unit.
3. shall i bother with MD when the san fran does mp3 from cdr.
4. may consider a dab head unit does anybody rate these ??.

cheers

Peter

after this its the speakers cross overs ect which is even more of a nightmare.
Old 19 January 2003, 10:31 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Hi pbee,

I have a MY02 and wanted the same thing, I have the Blaupunkt MD72 (I think it is anyway!) which is the 'New Orleans' MD/tuner/CD controller head unit. Thinking I had a true double DIN space in dash changer was my favourite as well. Come installation time they found that the two would not actually fit in the dash aperature (sp?) without one of the units sticking out. I ended up going with a boot mounted 10 disc changer instead. This has actually worked out well, as I am going to fit the SECS display where the filler panel now is.
Disclaimer: My installers (the only ones available in the country) are a bunch of muppets, so it may well have been possible to install it properly, but they couldn't find a hammer big enough!
One thing they got right though is that the cd canger is put right behind the ski flap in the seats, so the disc tray can be accessed from inside the car. I needed this as I have 2 10" subs in a cabinet between the boot lid and the back of the seats.
Old 19 January 2003, 06:43 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Hades got both the Blaupunkt ones to fit fine. Do a search on Blaupunkt, he put some pics up

NB
Old 20 January 2003, 06:09 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Hence my disclaimer What did I know, I was in an airport when the installer phoned to tell me it didn't fit, and they would have to change the plan - still at least I
a) have a 10 disc changer instead of 5
b) have the changer, 2 x Alpine amps and 2 x 10" subs in the boot, and still enough space for two sets of glf clubs
c) Have in-dash space for the SECS1001 - I would have been pi$$ed to had to have put THAT in the boot!
Unfortunately in matters of high-end ANYTHING (except maybe hotels) Dubai sucks - still the weathers nice tho'
Old 22 January 2003, 11:28 PM
wildrider
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi, just outed the multi changer in favor of mp3(15 ablums on one disc). stuff all the extra changes go for an mp3 player.