ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Beware Alpines on Ebay!

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2004, 10:02 PM
STILee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Beware Alpines on Ebay!

Just to let you all know I've been stung on Ebay I bought an Alpine CDA-7998 stereo from a UK seller in the UK, now I've found out that it's an American import and you can't get RDS and with this unit it won't tune into all UK stations and there isn't any DAB option either instead it says it can receive XM satellite stations which we don't get here?

So I have a £375 paperweight I emailed the seller and he said he never advertised it as a UK model but you'd have thought that buying from a UK seller in the UK that it would be a UK model he didn't say it wasn't in his writeup either Bast*rd...

I've looked and there are several being sold different models some say 100% compatable with UK stations but you still wont get RDS or DAB! What you need to look for is that UK models end in an "R" i.e.CDA-7998R, CDA-9835R not CDA-7998 or CDA-9835.

If you see this PLEASE check that it's a UK model before you bid....
Old 31 October 2004, 10:22 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by STILee
Just to let you all know I've been stung on Ebay I bought an Alpine CDA-7998 stereo from a UK seller in the UK, now I've found out that it's an American import and you can't get RDS and with this unit it won't tune into all UK stations and there isn't any DAB option either instead it says it can receive XM satellite stations which we don't get here?

So I have a £375 paperweight I emailed the seller and he said he never advertised it as a UK model but you'd have thought that buying from a UK seller in the UK that it would be a UK model he didn't say it wasn't in his writeup either Bast*rd...

I've looked and there are several being sold different models some say 100% compatable with UK stations but you still wont get RDS or DAB! What you need to look for is that UK models end in an "R" i.e.CDA-7998R, CDA-9835R not CDA-7998 or CDA-9835.

If you see this PLEASE check that it's a UK model before you bid....
ask for a refund because you were mislead )
Old 31 October 2004, 10:42 PM
STILee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by bighead
ask for a refund because you were mislead )
He said I wasn't mislead as I should have known it was a USA model as there wasn't an "R" in it and he never said it was a UK version....So it looks like I'm on a loser...It's obviously a scam they are buying the units in the States at a discounted price and flogging them here and aren't bothered whether they work properly or not that's why I'm warning people...

As the saying goes BUYER BEWARE....
Old 01 November 2004, 09:10 AM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tip........

Hope they got some very NEGATIVE feedback.....
Old 01 November 2004, 09:12 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at a sony unit on e bay at the moment and was concerned about this so i mailed the seller and asked if it had rds but as yet no reply!!!!
thanks for the warning.
Old 01 November 2004, 09:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Why, oh why, do folk continue to use Ebay?

Personally, I'd not part with more than £20 for summat I can't go and look at if I want to.

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2004, 11:18 AM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

i also got stung on ebay with a pioneer 6500dvd (750pounds) bought of a guy on there brand new plumbed it in and had the same problem with the radio but also it wouldnt play our region dvds! so i have to backup each dvd if i want to play it in the car! i think ebay stinks.
Old 01 November 2004, 11:33 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

edmy716: to be fair, is it the seller or eBay that stinks?
Old 01 November 2004, 11:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"Caveat emptor"

However, as a UK seller selling into a UK market, they're wrong to sell non-UK goods.

If you paid with a credit card, you're covered. Get onto your credit card company and tell them that the goods were misdescribed and unfit for sale in the UK.

Job done. Perfectly legal, and fully supported by the Credit Card industry.

Paypal even warns sellers about this sort of thing being a way that they can find themselves with a chargeback against them.
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 01 November 2004, 07:15 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Why, oh why, do folk continue to use Ebay?

Personally, I'd not part with more than £20 for summat I can't go and look at if I want to.

Alcazar
Becuase the majority of power sellers (like myself) are reputable people, its just the few crooks and horror stories that ruins it for eveyrone. At the end of the day there are a few simple rules.

a. ask as many questions as you can.. people who do not respond are obviosuly hiding something.
b. try to stick to power sellers who have a high feedback rating.. for example i never buy anything before checking for it on ebay and always stick to ratings in excess of 97%, i also check out all negative feedback.
c. If you pay via paypal from a power seller then soon you will be covered upto £500 if soemthing goes wrong, at present it is £110, but will be increased to £500 soon by ebay.

At the end of the day you pays your money, but if you do your research properly and stick to the basic rules, you will be fine.

I am afraid some of these people rubbishing ebay probably havent used it and just concentrate on the negatives.

J