ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Upgrading door spkrs in MY05?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2005, 08:44 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading door spkrs in MY05?

The standard stereo is not that loud, and the front door speakers seem to distort badly at any kind of volume, and although the rears (in the doors, it's a wagon) don't seem to distort so much, I'd guess they're equally c**p quality.

I reckon even a quad of better speakers with a higher power rating would improve things, but I'm too lazy to prise off the door cards and check out the size of the speakers in there to replace them.

Anyone suggest a suitable set of speakers to buy that'll fit in easily? I have no desire to replace the head unit with anything louder, or fit a sub etc (it's a company car so no silly mods, plus I need the boot space). Besides, anything much louder will only rattle the car and start me chasing round the car in search of the problem...

And are the tweeters OK to just leave in there?

(edited because I'm an idiot who can't type)
Old 06 September 2005, 10:10 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Hi. I'm Ru' and it's my job here to point people to the FAQ:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=298540

Check there, and post back if you need more info!
Old 07 September 2005, 01:22 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Door speakers in a MY05 are basically paper mache that has gone weak - they are totally pants. Anything you replace them with will sound better, so this should be your first call. The H/U is also not great but the speakers are the weakest of the two weak links...
Old 07 September 2005, 03:05 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

sod the FAQ, it only suggests a couple of speakers, plus its out of date.

what speakers are people putting in their scoobs, as i too would like a quick fix.

crosstalk, the headunit is a LOT of messing about. somebody on the faq suggested alpine speakers (SXE-1750S - components front and SXE-1025S - 10cm speakers back for around £70 all in, dunno how good it will be, gotta be an improvement though.

Last edited by homerjay; 07 September 2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07 September 2005, 06:28 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by homerjay
sod the FAQ, it only suggests a couple of speakers, plus its out of date...
Okay, it doesn't mention the 06 model...
Old 07 September 2005, 06:31 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

just ordered these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

and these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

single delivery cost of £10, £52 all in, canny argue with that....
Old 07 September 2005, 09:05 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

That looks like a good deal. Please post pictures of the instal and let us know how they sound - be good to hear about some non-Infinity units!
Old 08 September 2005, 09:31 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

neh probs, will do...
Old 08 September 2005, 10:36 AM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

One of the main problems is that the Amp within the standard headset is under powered. Changing speakers will only have a limited effect. You'll all need an amp as well.

There was an artical in one of the SIDC mags sometime ago about nthis very subject.

My new stereo is fine
Old 08 September 2005, 04:17 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some Focal components that were fitted to my 04 JDM STI when I bought it.

JDM cars do not have speakers in when imported from new and so these were aftermarket speakers that were fitted.

I replaced them with even bigger speakers that needed some custom work to the doors when I had a ‘system’ upgrade.

Ill check which ones I had fitted.

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acat...component.html

I’ve been thinking about putting them up for sale, if you are interested?
Old 08 September 2005, 08:20 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat: MY05 with crappy speaker!
I [think] I can live with the headunit (just ordered my Dension ICE Link!) but I really can't take any more from the awful speakers...

I'm anxious to get my front speakers replaced ASAP, but I'm worried about how tricky this, ie taking the door panels off etc!
Obviously I don't want to ruin the interior of my 5 month old car, and I'm nervous enough about fitting the Dension!

Can someone reassure me that this is straightforward and give me some instructions - and before anyone says - THE FAQ isn't any use to me at all at present - but maybe someone's answer to this could be added to the FAQ, as it seems to be quite a hot potato at the moment!...

Really looking for step by step guide!

Cheers!
Old 08 September 2005, 10:14 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

The Dension thing should be okay if you upgrade your HU to another Kenwood, so at least if you do decide to change it you're not out of pocket.

So the step by step instructions to remove the door cards from an 05 wrx and fit new speakers aren't any use to you?

Okay, which bit do you need more information on? I'm sure if you ask specific questions there are people here who will answer.

It is reasonably straightforward, the 'hardest' bit is removing the surround from the door handle on the door card. Since writing my step by step instructions (with pictures) in the FAQ I've tried it a different way (removing the screw holding the assembly in place and kinda wriggling it loose).

Anyway, let us know what the issues are.
Old 09 September 2005, 11:37 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

well, my speakers are here and providing good weather, i'll be fitting on saturday.

i'll let you all know how i go on...
Old 09 September 2005, 12:36 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

i'll let you all know how i go on...
PLEASE DO!
I had a read through 'ru's stuff in the FAQ again, and it looks like a proper fiddly job!

Good luck homerjay - hopefully you'll have some reassurance for me when you've got yours fitted nicely!
Old 09 September 2005, 04:54 PM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rjlinney
PLEASE DO!
I had a read through 'ru's stuff in the FAQ again, and it looks like a proper fiddly job!

Good luck homerjay - hopefully you'll have some reassurance for me when you've got yours fitted nicely!
As ru states, the door handle surround is the hard bit, i broke the rear lug off of one, easily/cheaply replaced though.
It took me 1hr30mins per door to do with dynamat, nova collar, soldering all joints, metal gluing the tweater to the existing bracket and velcro'ing the x-over in.
The amp install, well, ive cheated and given the car to K&M accoustics to do, picking the car up tomorrow.

OOI, they are cabling the rear 4" rear speakers to the amp as well... they say they will sound better like this rather than the HU.. im not convinced. New 4" speakers next week maybe for me.
Old 09 September 2005, 05:02 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

1.5 hours per door is pretty good! Sounds like you did the same as me with the lug thing - did you get a replacement from Subaru then? I just glued it back, and when I had to take it off to dynamat it it fell apart again so I just left it!

I'd always recommend getting a company to do installs, but I like doing it myself even though it takes ages!
Old 09 September 2005, 05:43 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

reet im in the middle of gettin the door card off and im stuck...

how the **** do i get the plastic round the door handle off, i cant work out how it comes off, ANY clue would be great.

and yes i am following the FAQ, but the thats for a WRX and it seem different to my 03 sti...

this bit(sort of)

Old 09 September 2005, 06:19 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

This is based on my 05...

If the screw in the centre is undone (and all the other screws), the whole door card can be unclipped from the door with the handle surround thing attached.

You won't be able to remove the card, just get it unclipped.

The handle assembly can then be released from the door by sliding it backwards (I think) - at this stage the rods which open/lock the door are still in place though, so be gentle!

It should then be possible to stick your hand down the back of the door card and unclip the back of the handle assembly thing; the 'cup' behind the actual handle lever can be squeezed gently at the top and bottom to release it.

I hope this makes sense!
Old 09 September 2005, 06:24 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

done it, fit of force and it unclipped...

the 6.5" speakers i bought dont fit or line up with the screw holes, i wasnt aware that i needed bloody adapters (yes im and ****)

do they stock these at halford or am i gonna have to order some??

Last edited by homerjay; 09 September 2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09 September 2005, 06:51 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Seriously, make some out of mdf. For (nearly) the same price as some plastic ones from halfrauds you can buy a jigsaw from a diy store (£15) and some 12mm mdf (£5?) and with a few screws you'll have a much better solution (without having to wait a week or so for the store to get them in).

Failing that, there's a US place which does them:

http://www.iaperformance.com/catalog_subaru.asp

By the way, halfrauds have some plastic pacers listed for scoobies which do the job, only they don't; they're too small for the s'peaker.

Apparently the corsa ones fit (search?) but they are still plastic.
Old 09 September 2005, 07:16 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

cheers ru, looks like i'll be fabricating some tomorrow...

how about the back speakers, do they need 'adapters'?
Old 09 September 2005, 07:28 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

ok now i gettin a little pissed, i bought 4" rears (as recommended) only to find they are far to small, 5 1/4 may go in but not sure without measuring.

****, this is hard work!
Old 09 September 2005, 08:04 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Gutted! I don't know about the rears; that's a job still to be done...

Good luck tomorrow!
Old 09 September 2005, 08:18 PM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

The corsa ones fit... on the packet it says 150mm i think, but that is with the adapter. Throw the adaptor away and fit your 6.5".

To fit.

There are 5 holes on the plastic adapter, hold the adapter with the top (shallow end) at the top and let it fall between your fingers. The other 4 holes are at 5 and 7 oclock'ish. The top hole of each side needs to be filed away horizontally with a small round file... file the top hole down.... this will then fit. Don't worry the plastic is very easily filed away, 2-3 minutes max. Check fit against existing holes before mounting your speakers to the plate. make sure the screws are tight and the speaker is snug all the way around.... I was going to use hot glue to be sure, but thought the fit good enough.

Once this is done. Dynomat the area around the speaker, and stick trimmings in various large areas around the door. When I dynomatted it, i roughly cut the shape, stuck the mat under the grill for a bit until soft. pressed the mat to the door and quickly pressed as much home as i could. then quickly find the lip of the hole where the speaker goes and with a sharp knife, cut the circle out.... this is very easy as it should still be very pliable. The circle you cut out then gets slapped on the outerdoor skin immediatley behind the speaker unit. Then go back and make sure the dynomat is solid, making sure you can still feel the 3 plastic mount brackets . Use a small screwdriver to press through the centre of the 3 mount holes. remember to bring the plastic clear sheet over the dynomat before you screw the speaker adaptor to the door...after cabling the speaker up of course

HTH... 'ru. i've not got a new door handle cover yet, but im sure they will only be pennies, although probably an order thing. The 2nd one I just got as many finger nails around the surround and wiggled until it came off... I was more careful 2nd time your method sounds good though. I dont want to replace the surround until I am sure I don't have to go back in in case things are rattling....ill find out tomorrow after picking the car up, amp and sub installed
Old 09 September 2005, 11:36 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Good info there!

My plastic dish thing doesn't seem to mind being broken, so I'm in no hurry to get a replacement.

The only potential problem with my method as above is if the door locking/opening rods become detached from the handle/lock lever; it's a pain to get them back in, as I recall...

When I fitted the dynomat, I made some splash guards out of duct tape. These covered the back/top of the 'speaker basket, without sealing the holes between the basket and the rear of the cone. You'd be suprised how much water gets behind the door!
Old 09 September 2005, 11:55 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

This seems to get more complicated everytime someone posts some new info!!

Can someone write a step by step DIY guide to replacing the front speakers in a MY05, PLEASE!, including buying any required adaptors etc! (I'm an IT Manager, woodwork is not one of my strong points!)

Also, why are people talking about fitting crossovers? Presumably there's already one in each door for the existing tweeters? Isn't it just case of replacing the woofer?

The more I read on here, the more I'm being put off from having a go myself!
Come on - reassure me!
Old 10 September 2005, 12:26 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Also, why are people talking about fitting crossovers? Presumably there's already one in each door for the existing tweeters? Isn't it just case of replacing the woofer
The x-over on the standard tweeter is just a tiny capacitor and certainly isn't up to the job of matching an upgraded woofer/midrange.

I'm an IT consultant and I managed it! It's easy with a bit of common sense and a few tools.
Old 10 September 2005, 01:27 AM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
I'm an IT consultant and I managed it! It's easy with a bit of common sense and a few tools.
Same here (solaris background) It is easy, and more satisfying than getting somebody else to do it.

I forgot to mention, when i've fitted speakers in other impreza's (normally the first thing I do) I have always messed around with bullet connectors, this time I soldered everything...much easier.

Have a go.
Old 10 September 2005, 02:13 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

right, a new day, a new adventure

bought myself some mdf and a jigsaw (for a grand total of £14.87)

time to start cutting some adapters for front and back...
Old 10 September 2005, 02:43 PM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

right, a new day, a new adventure

bought myself some mdf and a jigsaw (for a grand total of £14.87)

time to start cutting some adapters for front and back...
I've done the mdf thing once before, I struggled to get a purchase strong enough for the speakers. If their are any tips with this please let me know !

Quick Reply: Upgrading door spkrs in MY05?