ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Dyn Audio speakers - dont bother!

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2001, 03:41 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well now I'm annoyed.....

Had a front DynAudio speaker go in June 2001. (these are £400 s0 not cheap). Unfortunately bought them from a bunch of cowboiys in Leeds called Leeds Car audio - hence no warranty.

Rang Dyn - they said would take a few days to replace - it actually took 12 weeks in the end

Put it in. Kept the volume low for a few weeks while the speaker bedded in. As soon as I turned the volume up to 22 on my Alpine unit (goes to 33) the damn speaker has gone again, glue has come lose and the 'spider' is lose.

I AM NOW RECONCILED TO THE FACT THAT DYN ARE RIP OFF MERCHANTS. The were'nt overamped or anything

It makes me think its not worth buying expensive speakers at all - if I buy £100 jobs they will probably loast longer than the expensive ones...

This is one route I wish I had never taken - I am seriously considering returing my system to normal - as it seems impossible for me to get a decent upgrade

Steve - very pissed off now

Just wish there was a speaker out there that could take 200wrms
Old 26 October 2001, 04:19 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'm suprised at this. I think Leeds Audio or whatever is to blame - selling dud stuff - Dynaudio have a very good reputation for good, solid equipment, if rather expensive. Doesn't help you here, though...

On the replacement speaker side of things, I've noticed a lot of people here don't like Focal very much, but they can take some serious power. They're expensive again (sorry!), and they don't sound good unless connected to a 'quality' amplifier, and then they can be a little tinny unless driven hard; but that's true of most 'posh' speakers anyway And they're only the 6.5" size rather than the Japanese/US 6", so you need to build a ring thing to mount them in, and the magnets are so large that even with the speakers as close as they can get to the door card thingy the window still hits them...

Well, there's the usual problem of car stuff anyway in that you never know what it's like until it's in. And then it's too late!
Old 26 October 2001, 04:20 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Steve, Knowing how you drive, I cant imagine you would like dyns anyway. They are seriousl smooth speakers, not hard hitting at all, and on top of that, they dont like high volume and arent particularly efficient. There is a make of speakers built for you called audiobahn. You can buy them from audio images in bradford. If you speak to a guy called nasar (wicked bloke) and tell him I sent you for them he will look after you price wise.

These people are built on integrity and will always replace faulty goods. if they ahve them in staock they will switch them for you rather than waiting for the manufacturer. they can handle a shed load of power and also sound very decent if not entirely aimed at the audiophile.

I believe they come packed in a small coffin!

their number is 01274 733 633
Old 26 October 2001, 05:57 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Dynaudio make all their own drive units, and have a reputation for quality.

I'm sure if you contact them they'll try and help.
Old 26 October 2001, 06:05 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you want is a set of the old Rockford Fosagate Power Series 6.5" mids... This is one of the sets of speakers that I have...

I spoke to you earlier about LCA...

What Amp are you using, was it genesis monoblock or something similar?? (I am assuming that you have crossovers set properly..)

I will have my car set up in the next few weeks if you want to have a listen to a set of rockfords (not the power series though... Fantatic P's and Q's running off 2x Punch 100s..

David
Old 27 October 2001, 02:11 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone (esp Adam)

Re the Dyns, they are 6.5 inch joobies so already have the 'special fittings' - they were a pain to fit

The original gear was fitted by LCA

After the Genesis 4 channel failed I got Cheltenham car audio to look at this (as they were the closest dealer to Bristol at the time) - they said that the wiring was awful...

I got CCA to replace the 4 channel and at the same time the Dyn Speaker failed - we rang LCA and they said sent it back to them they would sort.... last we heard from them

I then tried Dyn for a list of Distributors. I tried one company up nr Manchester I think - hopeless. In the meantime ringing Dyn - they send turnaround was 3 days - liars!!

I eventually got the unit from Wentworth Car audio - some 12 weeks after the unit had failed - thats how effici9ent Dyn are!

Of course if I'd have bought a full set up I could have had the next day...

I added a Genesis miniblock and got the 4 channel replaced!

The 4 channel Genesis is seriously underpowered.... so not exactly value for money at £600

Used Miniblock to run 2 12 inch Subs.
4 chanel was gonna be used to separetly run the speakers and the tweeters, but the Genesis amp was not powerful enough so had to use two channels for each side...

After 3 weeks of bedding in, like I said its gone again.

This is nothing to do with over amping - simply a bad design fault on the Dynn

I think their reputation for quality in my eyes means nothing - I will stronly advise anyone I know to keep well away from these speakers

Adam

Yes I may have to try this... Just a bit far for me to go if things go wrong... as they usually do with my car.

I want top sound quality but something that can take a hammering - ie at least 200 wrms - obviously I'm not gonna have them up very high as my ear drums wont be able to take it

As long as I get a clear sound and have a nice head massage from the base, I'll be happy. If someone can sit on the rear seats when the system is at full pelt then the systemk has failed.. they should pass out!

I have heard Krytens top notch system - but this is more for clarity - I want the clarity but with loads of base..

I've heard of Audiobahn... will have a chat with them

Re Rockford Fosgate... would'nt mind a listen - where u based?

I've heard a few awful systems that have been very expensive - not least JL Audio.

Old 27 October 2001, 02:20 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Oops

Sorry Dave - just seen that your in Leeds, maybe a meet up next weekend? I'll be at my Northern residence from next Thursday for a while - have the unfortunate task of being in Rotherham and Sheffield for a while - the worst places in England....
Old 29 October 2001, 08:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

First ice meet? I'm around Leeds too, as is David.

Beers anyone?
Old 29 October 2001, 11:21 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
System is going in as we speak.. well actually it isnt as Im stuck at work.. It will be 2weeks before it is ready as... I am not happy for the car to come out of the garage without the alarm... Unfortunatley My Nakamichi will not be going in yet as a kind mate has lost the front to it... so got to buy a new front panel... but Kenwood MP6090 should do the trick for the moment..... System is:

Nakamichi MB100
Kenwood MP6090r
Phoenix Gold PLD1
Phoenix Gold EQ213ix with LPL
Rockford Fosgate 6.5 Fantatic X's in the front
Rockford Fosgatic 6.5 Fanatic P's in the Rear

2x Rockford Fosgate Punch 100's
1x Rockford Fosgate Punch 200
2x Rockford Punch XLC 12's In Twin Chamber Sealed Enlcosure..

When I had a similar system 1 set of mids and punch 60 and punch 200 it was very loud..

These subs are quite capable of doing some damage to hearing when sat in the back... I have only put the rear speakers in for the benefit of passengers, and in an effort to increase the volume without getting more subs...

I'll Post some pictures of how its getting on tonight if I can figure out this new digital camcorder!

David
Old 29 October 2001, 11:42 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

David, sounds good to me. Let me know if you want a cameraman, as I've got a working camera...
Old 29 October 2001, 11:52 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Blimey Dave

I think thats a must see and a definite must listen - in the front though......
Old 29 October 2001, 01:19 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Cool, Thanks for the offer, you welcome to come and take some photos if you want.. but theres not much happening yet..

(History...car was up for sale at dealers 5dr uk turbo l reg... thieving gits stole of the forecourt and got past cat1 alarm.. crashed it.. bent wing damaged bumpers doors etc... took really bad hit to rear os wheel, door, quarter panel and suspension... now straightened, new strut, door panel etc.. respray.. 4 pots and 2000 spec wheels and interior..)

As I am rebuilding car from respray... i am fitting the system...

Speakers are mounted in the front on custom mdf spacers.. behind standard grills... new cables have been run through standard tubing... covered in loads of tape as they were shagged through age.. crossovers are being mounted under the dash... tweeters are flush mounted in kick panels..

Rear Speakers are mounted on a custom mdf adapter mounted on top of existing metal bracket with the lip hammered off.. the tweeter is then flush mounted again through top corner of grill, this is because there wasnt room for a 6.5" mid and tweeter behind the grill, not perfect imaging but dont really care for the back speakers... Eq is to mount on sliding rail that is under my desk at work... just need to ask if i can have it!! this will then mount under drivers seat so that the eq can be slid out when adjustment is required, this will me mounted so that the eq asembly slides along with the seat... so that it stays hidden when the seat is moved.

Subs are just going to sit in the box which will be altered to look the width of the boot. 2 of the Amps are mounting on metal posts either side of the boot on a 45 degree angle... hard to explain.. but will mean that I can use the boot and you wont see anycables... also means that the will be harder to steal! The odd one out which is the punch 200, (old style grey powder coating (not brushed metal like others) will be mounted on either the sub box or on the back of a seat so it remains removable..

RCA Cables are laid on top of the carpet at the moment so that I can work out how many more i need to buy... 6 cables to the front seat at the moment.. havent laid remote cables yet... Also need to think about soundproofing..

David

Old 02 November 2001, 05:27 PM
Tim Skerry
Scooby Regular

The idea that high power amps blow speakers is not the whole picture. Obviously it is possible to melt voice coils that way, but in fact at least as common is the underpowered amp driven into clipping causing transients that damage speakers. so don't always be tempted to have speakers with handling that vastly exceeds the amp's output, as it can lead to just as much trouble as the other way round.
Old 04 November 2001, 02:23 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Steve?! You've _heard_ how they can sound: how can you say Dynaudio are rip off merchants!

Dyns NEED lots of power. The more the better and I'm not sure what the problem was with yours, but they are wonderful speakers and capable of sounding as good as almost anything else (the sensible side of several grands worth of horns anyway).

However, as Adam said, they aren't that efficient and they're certainly not the bassiest speaker about - that is if you're talking about 'punch your kidneys with garage' bass. The are pretty linear all the way down and NEED a proper enclosure to sound their best - just put in the door and any speaker will not be at its best: though Dyns are more sensitive to mounting than most.

To be honest, they're probably not the right speakers for you. Something like the audiobahn or even some RF woofers may work better for what you're after.

I think the system you have was mis-sold in the first place, think of is as a car purchase: you wanted a mega fast A to B back roads in Wales car and someone sold you a very expensive Rolls Royce. OK it doesn't do what you asked for, but it ain't the car's fault...

That said, the sub(s) are where the bass is really at: the front speakers, from a bass point of view, provide localisation and assitance but not the reall oomphh. Even 8" subs in the doors lack something that a decent 12" (or two or three) in an enclosure in the boot can provide with ease.

Plus of course, you need a much better source so buy my 7939!!!

Give me some notice when you're next coming down to see Bob and we can go through your options...