Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

What the heck have I done wrong ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2008, 02:20 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What the heck have I done wrong ?

After getting the ICE put in last weekend, I'd been experimenting a bit with where to mount my tweeters. Last night I unstuck them from the front pillars and mounted them inside the door where the original ones were.
When I put the keys in the ignition and turned everything on, all I got was a very, very loud buzzing / droning sound. I immediately turned everything off and checked all my wiring, but it was just as it had been 30 mins earlier.
I disconnected everything and went thru it one by one.
- The HU appears to be ok
- The rears are getting a signal direct from the HU (I'd just rolled the fade to full front)
- The sub is working fine from its own amp and is getting a signal from the HU
So its my front door speakers (Rainbows) running from their own SPL amp that are the problem.
I plugged the RCA's back in and there it was again - a long droning satans fart of a noise at full belt with the mid/bass speakers flapping like crazy.
I cant see what Ive done wrong and I'm gutted.
Ive also posted this on an audio site, but thought I'd ask the community in case anything obvious or scoob related springs to mind.
Old 28 July 2008, 03:29 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

your speaker cones could be touching something, i had this once, drove me mad, till i figured out the cone was being squashed against the door card

jake
Old 28 July 2008, 05:09 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Different kind of noise mate. The door cards are off and the noise is a full on constant volume fart through the front speakers, its not a contact vibration of any sort. I'm going back thru the wiring one by one at the moment, but I cant see anything wrong.
I'll trial some alternate RCA's then I'll swap out the amp and see what happens then.
Old 28 July 2008, 05:50 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

i didnt mean as a vibration from it rubbing, it actually makes a sound through the speaker, its worth checking to see, the other thing that casued it was the speaker being screwed to tight in and the casing being squashed, try un screwing the speaker from the door and see if it still does it pref have it turned on making the sound then unscrew it and see what happens then

jake
Old 29 July 2008, 12:52 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

OK, sorry mate, now I understand, I will give that a bash. I'll back everything off a few turns and see how that goes. I'm also going to get inside the doors and look for any shorts in case something has happened out of sight. I'll also check the earths.

Next I'm also going to check the wiring to the crossovers, which are mounted under the dash. After that Ive also got some spare RCA's to trial. Only thing I dont have is a spare amp at the moment, but hopefuly that will be sorted tomorrow.

Ive brought my amp into the electronics lab here at work. A couple of our leccy engineers are going to go over it and check power, signals, outputs etc., it makes a nice change from power tools, bless them. (Ive told them to resist the temptation to get inside the box in case I need to send it back to CAD.)
Old 29 July 2008, 03:45 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

any luck??
Old 29 July 2008, 08:25 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Woo-hoo panic over chaps.

I just spent the last few hours checking every single connection I could find. I pulled everything apart and diligently wired it all back together. Maybe something had got loose, I dont really know, but once all reassembled for the fourth or fifth time, it pounded into life and sounds fantastic.

The Rainbows in the front are a real joy, and the sound deadening in the doors has made a great difference, now I need to do the boot as the sub is pretty lively and it needs strapping down anyway. I also need to mount the amps but they'll have to stay velcro'd to the carpet for now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions - really appreciate everyones attention.

And....rest
Old 17 August 2008, 12:34 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Sorry to drag this from the depths but any chance of pics???