Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Price This Low??

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2014, 11:37 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Insurance Price This Low??

Decided to cheer my self up and see how much it be for insurance for when the scoob's back on the road

All legit according to the "V5" and declared all mods on the vehicle. . Would happily run it everyday for this much

Spoke to a friend who used to be a traffic officer until recently, If the V5 States the correct vehicle make and general model ( Aka Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Evolution etc etc). Any bit's such as specific's (WRX,STI Or Fq340 or Fq400 etc) are sometimes wrong. but for it to be road legal, as long as any modifications or change's from it's original spec as per the V5's are fully declared and are as accurate as physically possible then it's road legal (Obviously Decat Exhaust's aint technically legal)

Can anyone shed any light on this. . .

If the V5 showed Just subaru impreza. . and you insured it as per V5 with all modification's or changes showing as declared. . were does that leave you?? Insured legally or illegally.

If the vin comes back as just "subaru impreza" along with current DVLA information. How can you prove it's a WRX Or STI etc etc.

Done a Vin check on my own car threw my work and it just shows up as Subaru Impreza on the dvla database. No Specific's what so ever.

(Edit: Im not looking to insure it as a GL or sport. It's just a quick look up for this year and it shows as a GL when i put in the reg on google or go compare etc, Last year it was insured as a STI for 1240 quid or so,Got the cover note from last years insurer's to prove if anyone's interested.)

All i did when i insured it last year was say it's registration and make and model, Subaru Impreza STI Import and declared the air filter and exhaust.. and voila no mention of any difference from the V5's lack of model specific

Last edited by quattroowner; 20 March 2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 19 March 2014, 11:48 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have an STi, so if you insure it as a GL then you're scum - simple as
Old 19 March 2014, 11:54 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

cheers for the really helpful reply!!! . . it's a genuine question for the insurance guy's as to what's what??

forgot to mention, Done a online Vin check at my work and it just show's up as a subaru impreza ( No Gl, STI or anything)
Old 19 March 2014, 11:58 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

if you think the insurance company won't pull the rug out from under you in the event of a claim then you go for it and incorrectly insure it as a GL, but seriously bad idea
Old 20 March 2014, 12:08 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
if you think the insurance company won't pull the rug out from under you in the event of a claim then you go for it and incorrectly insure it as a GL, but seriously bad idea
I've amended the original post as i missed out some bits i wrote on a other forum. Hopefully makes sense now.

Im not that daft to try and insure it as a GL, When im openly on the forum stating what it is in my signature, Messaged a few insurer's on here about quote previously, A project thread with detail's what i am doing to the car.

If it show's as just a subaru impreza on your V5 (no WRX or STI etc stated) and you insure it as a STI. .

Does it leave your car as shafted for insurance as if you was a GL on the V5 and insuring it as such. . When it really isnt
Old 20 March 2014, 12:26 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

It's down to you to insure the vehicle correctly, regardless of what the database brings up.

You should be contacting the DLVA and getting them to correct your V5.
Old 20 March 2014, 12:33 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Ill send them off a email tomorrow and find out what's what. Just say it need's "STI" adding to the model??

Does this mean when it was insured last summer . .

Insured as a STI with mod's declared, V5 States "subaru Impreza" . Was i technically insured? or uninsured.

Oh Moley, dont know if you got my messages about insuring my daily driver celica Gt, left a pm or 2 and a few answerphone messages for you. Still need insurance as im leaving the work's car insurance scheme at the end of this month
Old 20 March 2014, 12:37 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends what your previous insurance certificate states the car is.

Pm me your number and I'll call you when I'm back in the office (am off tomorrow)
Old 20 March 2014, 10:22 AM
New_scooby_04

Insurance policies are based on "absolute disclosure" If it's an STi, the V5 should say STi, if it doesn't it's your responsibility to check this with the DVLA and have the form amended if required.

If you don't, and get a quote based on a mis-classification of the car type, your policy would be invalid. Pleading that you thought it was a legit v5 won't help, especially now you've queried it on a public forum!
Old 20 March 2014, 02:33 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Phoned the DVLA and i need to get the vehicle checked over by the manufacturer or a approved garage to prove it is what it is with any supporting modification's .They tried telling me it's a STI Type R, as that's all that shows up on there system. However there's no change of tax class. . (silver lining and all that)

Also the insurance company have to check it over as well. when it comes to getting insured. PITA but atleast it will show up properly
Old 24 March 2014, 11:30 AM
chrisvarns
Scooby Newbie

I just got mine renewed (£560 w/ legal, £450 total excess and protected no claims (4 year discount))

Asked them to read out what the reg came back as, came back as "Subaru Impreza WRX 261". I said several times that it was an STI, and 261 is close enough to the stock output that I'm happy I've represented it clearly. Also this description matches up with the v5 description, which is originally filled out by a dealer with arguably far more authority on the subject of "what my car is" than myself, so I'd appeal to that if it ever went to small claims / trading standards.

Just remember, if it's a contest, you're not automatically a criminal just because the documentation you have is ambiguous. They agreed to insure it as described, and you described it to the best of your knowledge.
Old 24 March 2014, 09:35 PM
sean999
Scooby Regular

if it was me, I would be mindful. I would suggest the ownes is on you to be honest and be truthful when insuring your vehicle. remember insurance companies are there to make a profit and don't like to part with money. its also worth considering that most places that you ring nowerdays always start with "calls may be recorded for training purposes" (yeah right) and all insurance companies are linked into the data base and no doubt share information. something to consider when you have insured with one company in the first year, a different in the second year and so on, they may use the same under writers and if you have given a different description of your vehicle each time, then all well and good, that is until claim time comes. what might seem a good idea now may come back and bite you in the ****