Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Curfew Endorsement - who else does this

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2002, 11:38 AM
Greenlight Insurance
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards to the garage warranty.

A garage warranty is only applied if we are told at the time of the quote that the vehicle will always be garaged overnight. Most insurers allow a discount for the vehicle being garaged and as such apply a clause to show this.

The Endorsement Wording (for Highway Insurance):

No Cover for Theft unless garaged (10pm-6am). We will not cover you for theft or attempted theft from your home address under Section 3 of this document between the hours of 10.00pm and 6.00am unless your car is in a locked garage.

If you would like to discuss the matter with us we would be happy to remove the endorsement and recalculate the premium on the amended details.

Barry Scott
Greenlight Insurance
76 High Street
Brentwood
Essex
CM14 4AN

Tel: 01277 263030
Fax: 01277 263773
E-mail: barry@greenlight-insurance.co.uk

[Edited by Greenlight Insurance - 7/4/2002 11:40:09 AM]
Old 07 April 2002, 12:06 PM
Insurance Nerd
Scooby Newbie

[Edited by Insurance Nerd - 7/4/2002 12:07:32 PM]
Old 07 April 2002, 01:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

To be honest with you, i dont think that garages make much difference you can ask our neighbour about that cos their honda civic LSI was garaged, my scoob was on the drive and only one of them got attempted theft (and it wasnt my scoob!)

Barry,
i think there are a few "grey area's" of this policy that your holders dont really like, ie how do you get hold of your insurance co at 11pm at night when you have just got back in and the key breaks in the garage lock?
I tried Greenlight, unfortunately they were not very competetive and i think that sometimes insurance co's dont look at the overall picture.

Regards
Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 7/4/2002 1:33:46 PM]
Old 04 July 2002, 09:55 AM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yesterday I was pleased with finding an insurer (Greenlight) £150 cheaper than my renewal - but today was quite pi$$ed off when I got my policy details through and found that they had wriiten into the policy WITHOUT INFORMING ME FIRST that the car had to be graraged between 10 pm and 6 am when at home - or else the theft cover didn't apply.

I'm considering cancelling the policy & going with the next best quote as I feel putting exact time limits on this clause is a non-starter

Before I start ringing round again - are there any other companies which DONT put this nasty little clause in?

Steve
Old 04 July 2002, 11:52 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Sounds a strange policy to me!!!!!
My car is down as always being garaged but it doesn't stop me leaving the car on my drive during the day,say for instance,at a weekend.It'd be a pain in the a$$ if I had to put my car in the garage every time I've used it!!!!! (I understand that you can re-calculate Steves quote but surely,it must be free choice where he leaves the car during the day?????? )

Steve,
Have you tried Liverpool Victoria Frizell? (0800 607607) Just about to re-insure my MY01 with them as they are mod friendly and offered me a better deal than Directline (My current insurer) plus they give me protected no claims now too.Have a look here

Good luck

Nick

P.S: Are you not making the trip to Donnington with us on Sunday?
Old 04 July 2002, 12:09 PM
Greenlight Insurance
Scooby Newbie

----------------------------
but surely,it must be free choice where he leaves the car during the day?????? )
----------------------------

The warranty only applies between 10pm and 6am and only when the vehicle is at the home address.

Barry Scott
Greenlight Insurance
Old 04 July 2002, 12:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Barry,
I take it these rules in the policy only apply whilst the car is at home and if your away for the weekend, say in scotland, it doesnt apply?
And what also if you for some reason cannot get into your garage (key breaks in lock for instance) does that mean that your not covered?

Tony
Old 04 July 2002, 12:40 PM
Greenlight Insurance
Scooby Newbie

TonyBurns.

Yes, the garage warranty only applies when at the home address.

If the vehicle cannot be garaged we should be informed immediately.

Barry Scott
Greenlight Insurance
Old 04 July 2002, 01:10 PM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Tony

The being 'unable to garage' is exactly the sort of concern I have - as the most likely time for breaking a key or something like that to happen is (always!) late at night

So what would happen -
1. You'd ring up the insurance company & either
a. get no reply as its out of office hours
b. get through and be told you have no insurance for theft - or if you did want cover for the night that your "premium would be re-calculated"
2. You'd try and get a locksmith late at night - if you could get one it'd cost you a fortune
3. You'd break the lock/door in order to at least hide the car - but end up leaving the door unlocked overnight - and therefore have no cover anyway
4. You'd leave the car outside hoping it wouldn't get nicked
5. You'd drive it 1/2 a mile down the road & park it on a supermarket car park - where at least it would be covered by the insurance - but almost certainly would be nicked!
Old 04 July 2002, 01:11 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've got greenlight insurance (which was the best quote by far).

The clause is there to stop you saying you're going to garage the car at night when you've got absolutely no intention to do so cause your garage is full of ****e.

If you're not at home the way I read it is that the clause doesn't apply, if you are then you need to garage your car between 10pm-6am, simple.
Old 04 July 2002, 01:54 PM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

As suggested - I've just had my premium recalculated with "on drive" rather than "garaged" - and the cost of not having a curfew is £100
Old 04 July 2002, 02:38 PM
Dirty Wrong'un
Scooby Regular

I think this whole thing of home address needs to be made clearer.

If the key breaks, park it on the next door neighbours drive, therefore not parked at home address, close enough to keep an eye on and (should) still be insured
Old 04 July 2002, 02:44 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Steve,
Did you see my post??????

Nick
Old 04 July 2002, 03:17 PM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Nick

Yup, I'd already tried LV - they were cheaper than my renewal - but only by £20. Greenlight were cheaper by £150.

I rang back the AA who had quoted me £100 less than my renewal based on "garaged", and asked could they re-quote based on "on-drive" - just in case I couldn't get it into the garage, and they said that the quote still stood - so guess who got the business - they also got a bonus - as I was looking for breakdown / recovery cover as well

Steve

P.S. Don't think I'm off to Donny - I'm probably looking at a new engine for the Westie on Saturday
Old 04 July 2002, 05:06 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Well done Steve!
Have to say,this little episode has put me off Greenlight now.Good for you finding someone cheaper and with better coverage. You can just picture it if your car gets broken into whilst it's sat on the drive during the day can't you????

Nick
Old 09 July 2002, 10:19 AM
Bash D Bishop
Scooby Newbie

I don't have a "not garaged" clause on my Scooby insurance but I do have one on my motorbike. If my bike is stolen from my home between 23:00 and 07:00 and it was not gargaged at the time my excess is higher.
Old 09 July 2002, 02:56 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

FFS, how can people complain about this? It will:

* Bring your insurance down by enforcing good practise
* Reduce the amount of thefts against the car, which may affect all our premiums
* Ensure that you actually qualify for the (*!"(* garage discount in the first place
and more.

I have a friend who, according to insurance, has two cars parked in his single garage. The same single garage. That is actually full of crap. It is defauding the insurance company and, due to the nature of insurance, every other person who pays insurance.

Companies need to protect themselves and I, for one, wholeheartedly support initiatives like this. It's helping people to help themselves.

Saying this, insurers need to explicitly tell someone about such a clause, but I'm happy with it.
Old 09 July 2002, 03:31 PM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Angry

I can complain because:

* I was not told about the 'curfew clause' before I took out the insurance policy
* 'Garaged overnight' to me means 'Garaged while I am in bed' not between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am
* Other insurers - namely the AA (who I am now insured with) do not put this restriction in their policy & do not discriminate between 'Garaged' & 'Private Drive'

If insurance companies wish to protect themselves against people making false claims about garaging (which mine was NOT!!) a better alternative would have been to apply a higher theft / damage excess if the vehicle was outside the garage, rather than removing ALL insurance cover.

I was given the choice of 'curfew' or increased premium - I chose increased premium. Despite yet another claim free year - my insurance has increased yet again
Old 09 July 2002, 05:05 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, everytime i go away for the night, are you saying that phonecall needs to be placed to Greenlight? What happens, due to unforseen circumstances the car is left out overnight. For instance, if it breaks down and there is no way to get it garaged. In this case it's out of office hours for Greenlight and therfore i can't inform them. Does that put me 13k down in the event of it being nicked. (whoever nicked it got it started, just incase there's any smartarses)
Old 09 July 2002, 07:28 PM
travisg
Scooby Newbie

Cool

My policy with privelige, had a garaged clause on it, and I had this changed to driveway, it increased the policy by only 20 quid.

Graham
Old 09 July 2002, 10:16 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Steve, sorry didn't mean to come across arsey which re-reading it, I did a bit...

OK, you should have been informed first.

I still think enforcing this, or at least trying to, is a damn fine idea if (and it's looking like a big "if") it's workable!
Old 16 August 2002, 08:38 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Wink

'cos I thought better of it

[Edited by Regacy - 8/16/2002 8:42:00 AM]