Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance and full decat

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2002, 01:02 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was wondering how the legalities work out on a full decat car in the event of an accident?

Running full decat is surely not legal as the car would not pass an MOT? Therefore if you crash and the insurance company investigate are you screwed?

Also, aside from accidents, what do you tell the insurance company about your car when it has been de cated? Eg just for quote, or modification to exisitng policy?

Next "toy" is a centre decat to go with the SS b/box. So curious.

Cheers

Matt
Old 13 November 2002, 01:21 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

any and all modifications should be declared whether they make the car go faster or slower or safer etc etc.

having a large chip in the windscreen etc would also make a car fail an MOT but I don't see insurance companies quibbling over that - but indisclosed stuff is a no-no

[Edited by what would scooby do - 11/13/2002 1:22:59 PM]
Old 13 November 2002, 06:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

I told my company a couple of days before I fitted it, and they were friend;y, but want to see a receipt at some stage. You might find that if you do mods "mid-term" i.e. between renewals, you'll pay at least as much admin fee to change the policy as you do extra - I paid £50 for the exhaust, but was told it would have been same amount extra for several other mods at once.

I avoided the emissions issue by using an APS sports cat system. Worth looking into sports cats (see drivetrain - several people do them), but more money than a de-cat.