Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Knott - No Longer take on Scooby Turbo's

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 10:07 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not even a UK.....(Chris Knott & Wren Insurance)

Looks like it's gonna be Liverpool Victoria then !!!
Old 05 February 2003, 12:06 PM
Blackbird
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NFU Mutual did me a good deal, when you consider that my partners got 9 points and the Scooby is the first car I've owned in an awfully long time.
Old 06 February 2003, 01:45 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Does that mean that they won't renew mine next month

Looks like I will have to do some shopping around - will post up quotes - name and shame

Have to say that Direct Line were the cheapest for me last year @ £550 for my 01WRX but went with Chris Knott/Wren because of better half's policy being liked to mine, which saved £100's.

BB
Old 06 February 2003, 04:09 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

I had a policy for my Saxo with them and when I got the Scooby they wouldn't take it. Had to cancel.
Old 15 February 2003, 05:35 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

I just got my renewal through from Chris Knott/Wren, pretty much the same price as last year.

Disclaimer: Whilst the line above is "fact", the line below is my humble opinion

I think they have strict quota on number of scoobs they can cover, so if their quota is full at the time you call then they can't accept your business. Perhaps you just have to be lucky? I also thought they wouldn't touch mods, but I guess that particular opinion has just been blown out of the water!!!
Old 15 February 2003, 09:07 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm with CK/Wren on my scoob since March last year. A great price and very good service too. My renewal is up in March. I went with them last year with quite a few mods on the car and was fine. When I phoned to add more they said they don't cover mods, I pointed out the insurance was taken out with them, she went away, came back and said that it was fine and to list the new ones. i've added quite a few this year and never been charged extra for any of them (one was a TEK2.5 )
Old 16 February 2003, 12:24 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Hows this for a drag. I innocently approached Chris Knott, and got the quote as I said above. It beat my renewal figure with Greenlight by £78. Now Greenlight insured me with Highway, who provided the renewal quote of £773, excess of £400. The quote from Chris Knott was also via Highway, at £695 with an excess of £350.
I gave Greenlight the chance of competing, they conceded they couldn't and suggested I took the other quote (fair play to them). They did ask who CK were insuring me with, at which I told them it was Highway.
Here's the drag. The "agreement" CK & Greenlight have with Highway or the "rules" ?? dictate that they cannot quote against each when its the same insurance company: ie CK have said they cannot honour the quote for £695 as they did not know that Greenlight had quoted me a renewal figure from Highway.
So the point is, CK will insure scoobs, but watch out for this if you get a quote from both. I am both gutted and a little frustrated that the same company will insure my car for less with a lower excess. Makes me feel like either Greenlight have a higher handling percentage as a broker, or the computers just spit out random figures... either way, I am left to stick with Greenlight (who incidentally I am happy with as an insurer, always helpful), I am just a little put out at getting screwed for the extra £78!!
Anyone else fallen prey to this? Could I force the issue? I'm not out to upset anyone, or rub their face in it, I just want to pay my insurance at the best price possible.

Comments welcomed

Trending Topics

Old 16 February 2003, 02:55 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mmmmmm

I took out my insurance with CK / Wren Insurance last March on my STI Type UK Prodrive car.

Just got back off holiday to find a renewal notice from Wren (not CK), quote, £1706. £350 more than 12 months ago with an extra year claim free. Gutted really... 29 Years old, 5+ years no claims, where the hell are insurance companies coming from of late? Daylight robery, for a car that is only used at weekends really....

Rung 4 companies today, none of which have quoted as they don't like Group 20 cars, or PPP modifications...

Crazy, great way to waste a Sunday....

Simon
Old 16 February 2003, 03:06 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Give Greenlight a try, I cannot fault the service they have given me, always helpful, reasonable if you mod your car mid policy too
Old 16 February 2003, 08:30 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Necromax

Once you have received a quote for insurance surely that represents a contractual offer, which if you accept on the original specified terms, constitutes a binding contract?

I had something similar happen, where the insurance company I had with my last car quoted a huge sum of money, and another company quoted me around £1000, both through Highway. I wanted to stay with my original company (because they had sorted out good deals for me in the past) so I inquired why two brokers had quoted such different amounts through the same underwriters. Their comment was that they would have a specific agreement with a section of Highway (e.g. for family cars) and the other company may have a very different agreement (e.g. for sports cars). No mention of any issues regarding accepting one or the other though, they just told me to take the other (as it happened I found a cheaper one elsewhere).

On top of this, it sounds like a "wholesaler" (Highway) issuing rules and limitations on what "suppliers" (brokers) can set their price to, which could be a case for breach of competition laws?
Old 16 February 2003, 09:26 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Liverpool Victoria wanted to know roughly what car I had and what species I was - then gave me an amazing quote

Chris Knott wanted to know pretty much what thickness of bog roll I use and which direction I wipe and then finally wouldn't quote me

IMHO save yourself about 30 mins interrogation on the phone!!
Old 17 February 2003, 09:59 AM
necromax
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd be happier getting all the details straight at the time of the quote, and not have the complications of not having all the facts straight in the event of a claim.

Old 26 February 2003, 03:53 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Just gone back to Wren directly after last year's excellent premium (MY02 WRX wagon). Bit of an increase, but nothing too drastic. Paid up by plastic, just happy it isn't into four figures.....
Old 26 February 2003, 08:45 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Phoned Wren the other day to change my car from my modded scoob to pug 205. Policy runs out 10th March. Cheeky cow on the other end of the phone said she was amazed they insured me on the Scoob in the first place and that if the 205 was a higher group they wouldn't insure me I pointed out to her it wasn't (she works for the underwriters remember ) and so the car was swapped. Not impressed with her manor in the slightest. I'm 27 with 8 years no claims, dunno what her problem was.

Anyway, new renewal came through for the pug - was paying 730 for the scoob - the 13 year old pug worth 2k is 550 YEAH RIGHT! Like I'll really take them up on that offer
Old 02 December 2003, 09:43 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

I got a quote from Chris Knott for my MY98 Terzo .. on Monday! £695 too, where Greenlight wanted £773 .. just waiting for policy details to come through before I make decision. Any reason I should not take the Chris Knott policy? Anyone? The excess is £50 less too! Even with al mods declared
Liverpool Victoria were a waste of time .. they wanted £1080!!!!!

Edited cause I can't spell tonight

[Edited by necromax - 2/12/2003 9:44:13 PM]