Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru Insurance a waste of space

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2003, 03:59 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
revitt,

I don't think your post is particularly constructive or fair, specifically the title of your post mainly.

Just because an insurance company isn't able to help you based on your particular circumstances, does not make them 'a waste of space'.

I know of several people that have had very competative quotes from this company and have taken them up on the quote.

Please try to think about what you write before you hit submit and also read the forum guidelines: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=192395

In the meantime, it would best if you take this offline and speak to Subaru Insured as suggested by Tom above.

Rgds, Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 4/1/2003 4:06:17 PM]
Old 04 January 2003, 05:07 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alex,

We have actually just had a good long chat about all sorts of things.....insurance and also wheels, PPP and various other bits and pieces.

Whilst we weren't able to assist with a suitable premium on this occasion I think that we have resolved the "waste of space" issue

We'll have another bash at it when renewal comes up in September of this year

Tom

[Edited by Rum* - 4/1/2003 5:09:06 PM]
Old 31 March 2003, 03:40 PM
revitt
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If you are looking here for insuarance information and your car is not in a garage then you can forget Subaru Insurance. They basically are not interested unless you can garage the car and will double your quote.

£1500 on drive £790 in garage.

As I already have a car and bike in the garage this is going to live on the drive with a different insurer.
Old 31 March 2003, 04:16 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry we haven't been able to help you on this occasion. Some insurers will only cover certain cars if garaged....if they aren't then we are restricted to other carriers with higher rates...alas we can't win them all the time...

I'm sorry you thought we were "a waste of space" tho...I like to think that all my staff are at least helpful and worth paying to put their bum on a seat...

Hopefully for 1500+ Impreza owners already on the books have found our service to be worth while...

C'est la vie I guess

Tom

[Edited by Rum* - 3/31/2003 5:24:15 PM]
Old 31 March 2003, 06:51 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I rang for a quote last week and I am STILL waiting for them to call me back. Why they can't deal with you there and then is a mystery to me. It isn't always convenient to take a call "later" especially as I am like many on here, in and out of meetings during the day at work, so I would probably end up calling YOU back....viscious circle. Never mind, renewing with DL.
Old 31 March 2003, 09:51 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yorkie, I hope you don't regret DL.....I did.

What you get with Tom and his crew is a friendly bunch of chaps who know what their talking about, and can provide a level of customer service that I have never experienced before from an insurer.

Perhaps give them another chance next year.

Allan

Old 31 March 2003, 10:18 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I have to say that Subaru Insured were very friendly - but they still didn't want to insure me

Guess it's my age (again)... <sulks back off to Barclaycard>

Trending Topics

Old 01 April 2003, 07:42 AM
revitt
Scooby Regular

I am not having a go at the staff who were very helpfull they were just not able to help me .

This just highlights the problems with insurance in this country. The cost of cover bears no ralationship to the risk, just how much they think they can rip you off for.

Having spen most of my life in Australia where 3rd party cover is part of your road tax the insurance companies fall over themselves to offer good deals. Because at the end of the day you don't have to take any insurance out to legally drive a car.

I have only ever wanted 3rd party theft cover on all of my vehicles as I feel that comprehensive insurance is a rip off. But it is not possible to get for a new car in this country. I have no problem insuring my bikes that way so why not my cars.
Old 01 April 2003, 09:54 AM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

LIVERPOOL VICTORIA SLAUGHTER ALL COMPETITION !!!!
Old 01 April 2003, 01:25 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

revill

I agree the industry has its problems and compared to deals in Australia and other countries the amounts paid are high...however unfortunately motor insurance in the UK continues to lose money (I have heard recently a certain Direct Motor Insurance company is having to yet again re-assess its rates due to claims having to pay out £1.25 for every £1.00 taken in premium).

Now I understand that most of the time people manage to obtain more competitive quotes from certain companies that suddenly pop up and offer terms/rates etc...however in many cases (and you only need to look back at the records of Scoobynet to see this) these markets last for 12 months before the company suddenly decide that they no longer intend/wish to insure our type of vehicles...whilst this benefits us all in the short term (i.e. the cheaper rates when they first appear within the market) it doesn't do anything for continuity of rates etc...or more importantly client/customer perception of the industry.

We are always busy negotiating new deals for our Subaru (and Isuzu) customers...and in many cases our rates are by far the most competitive in the market place...saving customers 10's and 100's of pounds. In other cases for customers we are unfortunately not able to assist in premium....tho rest assured it won't be without trying and chatting to the customer in hopefully an extremely knowledgable manner.

In your case we were uncompetitive...however for (in many cases) over 35's for WRX and Turbo 2000 we have a deal with Zurich where they will underwrite policies if the client has fitted a Tracking system...for Groupama they are stricter still as they require garaging as well, however their rates for STI (Type UK's) are generally the most competitive in the market place (tho obviously there are always customers that will manage to get better rates elsewhere....for example, and I'm sure John Stewart won't mind me using him as an example, but in his instance for the last 2 years we have been close but pipped to the post by Elephant.co.uk)...Norwich Union don't require Tracking or Garaging and will extend cover to include Track events....in many cases this can work out cheaper in the long run for customers putting their cars on track....for some it doesn't...other insurers also don't bother with either/or tracking/garaging....most companies unfortunatly rate the WRX (UK) as group 19 compared with Turbo 2000 @ group 17...some even won't quote for WRX now but will for Turbo 2000...for owners under 25 we definately find we are uncompetitive...

....as an example the cheapest premium for an STI Type UK PPP via ourselves was issued last week @ £475.00!!!....the other side of the coin is the most expensive premium in excess of £10,000!!!!

Anyway I've babbled on long enough...I guess what I am trying to say is that we will always try to help....we will always try and offer independant and impartial advice about security, parking and even where customers might be able to get cover at more competitive rates....and I would hope that your title painting us as a waste of space is a little harsh

Sorry to have gone on and on and on...

Tom (aka Rum*)
Old 01 April 2003, 02:05 PM
revitt
Scooby Regular

My current insurer and at least 2 others that I have tried will give me cover for under £1,000.

If you can explain to me how having a car behind security gates is less secure than in a garage I will except that you need to double the premium.

For the record I am 42, live in a low secutity area and have a clean licence and I have a 2003 STI, onto which I will be putting a PPP once it is run in.

Why can't you give me TPFT as that is all I want anyway ?
Old 01 April 2003, 02:18 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

As I have said above unfortunatly we don't make the rules...we are a broker and we have access to the broker market...and not (alas) the Direct Market...the rates we have for STI are in many cases the most competitive in the market...

I think that rather than trying to discuss this on the board the easiest thing to do is to call you and chat through it...

If you can email me your contact number I'll give you a call straight back...

tom@subaru-insured.co.uk

With regard to the security gates etc...I have the same problem....I run MY03 STI Type UK + PPP...its the 5th Impreza I have owned...and it is not garaged...but it is parked on my private driveway...certain insurers will not cover me...others will but when the mods are discussed they shy away...Groupama eventually agreed to accept a Rhino Pillar to protect the car (telescopic pillar fitted into the drive)...

Anyway, drop me a line and I'll give you a call...

Tom

Old 01 April 2003, 04:22 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Excellent
Old 02 April 2003, 06:06 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Although I think it's unreasonable to start a thread in that tone just because you couldn't get the deal you wanted, I have to admit that I'll never understand the garaging bit myself.

The only way I could get reasonably priced cover on the P1 was to garage it, yet with the STi the difference in premium between garaged or drive was <£100

We've all had ridiculous quotes (my best was £4.5K a few years back) but that's what insurers are like. I'm sure Rum would be the first to admit that when insurers don't really want the business they try to price themselves out of the market rather than refuse. If some twit wants to pay silly money, they'll take the risk.

Josh
Old 02 April 2003, 08:48 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Have to agree, Rum, none of your consultants rang me back either so at the third time of trying I got a quote, abiet a rather high one, not critisizing yourself here please note it's probably to do with my age "29". The real problem with insurance in this country at the moment is all these bloody ambulance chasing companies hitting the insurance companies for claims. (Sarcasim on) Oh were you within 20ft of that road accident and you say you are suffering whiplash and trauma we'll get you five grand from their insurers to compensate (Sarcasim off). The sooner we ban companies like this the better for all of us, rant over.
Old 02 April 2003, 07:41 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Talking

revitt:
Rum*:

I Contacted John Stringer this week for a final quote, a week before I pickup my MY03 Impreza WRX, the premium has come down from my original quote last year, I did have a moan about why its still group 19 even now with increased security deadlocks etc and he said group rating is out of their control.

I found the John most helpful and the service prompt when sending a written quote last year.

His Subaru knowledge and help was far better than other companies I had quotes from.

He will be getting my Subaru business and I will also have my old rover transferred to them using Zurich Insurance.

I am 47 and will Garage my Subaru, so I can confirm this keeps the policy price down.

Subaru Insurance gets my vote, sorry to see a decent company slated
Old 03 April 2003, 11:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Garages, they are really useful
I can agree with parking on the road being more expensive, but cars in garages being cheaper than those on drives.....

Example 1

Next door has garage, we dont, next door parks car in garage, i park mine on drive, next door has garage broken into and attempted theft on car, my car untouched..... get the drift
Police come round next day and say to next door neighbour "this is the sort of car they really go for" (pointing at mine) so why did they go into next doors garage and attempt to steal theirs??
(hmmmm quiet out of the way place that covers the noise of breaking into car me thinks and you also dont get noticed (except our dog went bananas (we'd only had her a day! thats what you call a guard dog, better than any garage )
Insurance co's, pull your fingers out!!!!!

Tony