Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPP MY03: Insurance quotes

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2003, 08:38 PM
T_McC
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having acquired my new MY03 WRX 1 week ago now I have made good on my commitment to upgrade to PPP. There is no doubt that this is the way to go. Problem I am having is getting the insurance down to a more reasonable level - so far the best is £830 on my 29 year old lady wife's, clean licence policy (of course !). That came from Direct line.

Now I know there are many other PPP'ers out there who pay a LOT less for their insurance. Can anyone give me good pointers on an alternative provider ? I've already tried all the big guys, some of whom don't look at mods, let alone under 30 yr old drivers.
Old 08 September 2003, 09:15 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome to Scoobynet

You could try having a look and posting in the insurance section as there's normally a few requests along similar lines re cheaper insurance.

FWIW Direct Line / Tesco are the same crowd and tend to load premiums with mods on cars IMO. I swapped to Liverpool Victoria as they seem to be more relaxed about mods (you've still got to tell them )

Apple
Old 08 September 2003, 09:50 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

Liverpool Vic - had PPP fitted today and they wanted £11.30 for the remaining six months of the policy, I thought that was very reasonable !!!.

PJA
Old 10 September 2003, 10:31 PM
SW Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Elephant.co.uk are one of the cheapest insurers at the moment. They are Admiral's direct internet operation and often undercut their parent company's rates. I phoned around 25 insurance companies (sad I know) and they were £200 cheaper than the next lowest. The range ran from £600 to £8000 (I guess they didn't really want the business) on a brand new WRX without PPP in London.

Next were Direct Line, Tesco (wanted tracker), Admiral themselves.

Check that the quote/policy is for 12 months and not 10 months as some insurance companies will look cheap but you have to increase the premium by 20% for comparatives.

You also don't have to change insurers to benefit from lower rates and so save yourself the hassle - most insurance companies will match a competitor's rate. So its worth shopping around at renewal just to make sure that your existing insurer doesn't try and put one over on you.

In terms of modifications, rating factors used to increase the rates are often separated into bands according to the bhp increase the modification provides. e.g. 0-10% 11-25% etc.Its important to let your insurance company know that you have made the modification otherwise you are effectively uninsured and breaking the law. One way of comparing the price you are being quoted on the PPP modifcation to the WRX is to ask the company what the rates are for the standard STI. This is a more expensive car, more obvious to thieves but has approx the same power in standard form as the WRX with PPP - therefore your increased premium should be no higher than this logically. It worked for me!
Old 11 September 2003, 12:11 AM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

I think you need to be 30 years or older to be with Liverpool Vic
Old 11 September 2003, 07:27 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

I use liverpool victoria, however, i think its important to note that according to liverpool victoria, there was a change in insurance policy and legislation in april 2003, they informed me that mods no longer add any futher cost onto your insurance quotes UNLESS you have actually altered the size of the fitted engine ie 2.0 litre scoob to a 2.5 litre scoob sort of thing. The broker told me that any companies that are charging you more are taking the p111sss. He said it was good practice to declare all the bits on your car for reclaim purposes but that it should not effect your premium, this was reflected in thier quote
"99 classic turbo + ppp + quickshift + 17' mim alloys + upgraded discs an pads all round + dawes + ggr sports cat downpipe + magnex st8 through centre + eibach springs"
AA said 1300 standerd, 2000 with mods !!!!!! im 36 with 6yrs no claims
liverpool victoria 575 pounds fully comp
now then i just bought a five month old sti uk type and ive paid an extra 145 pounds to cover it for the rest of the term [8 months some of cost in that is admin]
so i cant complain and buyer beware re mods. declare em, but make sure they dont have your eyes out for em !!
paul
Old 11 September 2003, 08:57 PM
T_McC
Scooby Newbie

Good information - I'll make the point to the insurers who are definitely taking the p*iss with some of the fugures they are thrpwing at me. I'll keep my finger crossed !