Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing of mods

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2003, 10:11 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

When do you have to declare mods to your car? Is it only when you renew your policy? My renewal is coming up in early January, so if I put off a PPP until just after, do I avoid declaring it until 2005?
Old 08 September 2003, 10:29 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

To put it another way if you fit a dogs danglies clifford alarm and a tracker you would tell em straight away so as to get a discount .So they need to know straight away about any mods if you don't tell em and something happens they'll invalidate your policy faster than you can say "I'm screwed".
Old 08 September 2003, 10:46 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

do policies state that you have to inform them immediately of any alteration to the car?
Old 08 September 2003, 11:02 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

My policy says i need to inform them immediatley of any alterations not telling them is a risk some people run some get away with it.Few years back some guy rams the back of my car cos he's to busy changing his cassette my car goes in for new bumper during this work insurance assessor turns up for a spot check i'm ok cos i had declared my mods.
Dave
Old 08 September 2003, 11:07 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I would tell them when you ring up to renew - my theory is
that they 'might' give you a better rate, because as a 'free agent' you could choose to go to another insurer if you didnt like the quote...?
Haven't tried it, so don't know if it would work

alan
Old 09 September 2003, 02:12 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on the underwriter. Most are not until renewal, so in theory take out a policy for a standard car the get the mods done. A years insurance without the loadings!

Clive
Old 09 September 2003, 02:49 PM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

If the car you insure is not the car that you are driving then you basically have no cover, and not only will you get screwed by the insurance company if you have an accident, but by the police who will give you a maximum of 10 points (i think) for driving without adequate insurance. As far as I'm aware all my insurance policies over the past 15 years have stated that all changes to policy must be declared at time of change. From posts on here, PPP can add as much as £500 to your policy so I'm sure insurance companies will want to know for that extra premium.

J
Old 09 September 2003, 11:44 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I would tell them when you ring up to renew - my theory is
that they 'might' give you a better rate, because as a 'free agent' you could choose to go to another insurer if you didnt like the quote...?
Haven't tried it, so don't know if it would work
Very risky theory. If it's a mod that would hike your premium, they could charge you a retrospective increase for the previous year. At worst, if you make a claim and their inspection finds undeclared mods, you could find them invalidating the policy, and you in deep doodoo.

Look at the small print in your policy document. If it says to tell them straight away, do it!
Old 10 September 2003, 08:51 AM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

I know what I am talking about chaps, like I say check your policy but there are plenty out there that won't want to know until renewal. I actually work in the industry and without saying who I work for there is one very large broker that does not want to know until renewal. Knowing other policies also after 10 years as a high street broker previous to my current job I know there are are plenty.

Old 10 September 2003, 03:26 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Come on Mr Hammer! give us a clue! we want you to get us big discounts!!!
dave
Old 10 September 2003, 04:00 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Smile

Errr.....Read your docs. But seriously, ask the insurer when you get a quote. They should tell you.