Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to change insurers - stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2003, 09:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all,

I'm with Greenlight at the moment, and my current full-time occupation (electronic engineer) doesn't cause them any problems. I'm planning to take up some additional part-time work as a photographer, but when I mentioned it they said that their underwriter simply won't cover any use in connection with photography. (Photographers spend all their time hanging out with supermodels getting stoned, I suppose...)

That leaves me two choices. Either I use my other car (a Westfield - not terribly practical) every time I go to an event where I'll be taking pictures for money, or I change insurers.

My car is a MY00 with the usual sorts of mods - PPP, 17" wheels, driving lights, bumpsteer and a few cosmetic changes. I'm 28, full NCB, no claims, clean licence, nice area and so on. I paid about £950 for this year, which doesn't upset me too badly.

So far I've tried:

Elephant: >£1800
Bell direct: obviously the same web site, also >£1800. (Annoyingly, removing all the mods from my car brings it down to about £1000 - go figure).
Tesco: about £750, but nowhere on the on-line form to mention modifications.
L&V: won't cover performance-enhancing mods, according to their site.

Anyone else worth trying? I only want to go to the odd event now and again - I'm not likely to be making a fortune out of pictures, and the whole idea becomes a waste of time if I end up spending whatever I make on insurance

Tips please
Andy.
Old 12 September 2003, 11:58 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmm, funny you say that about L & V, I got Suspension, Wheels, Exhaust, Brakes & bodywork mods all listed on my policy with Liv Vic

Old 13 September 2003, 01:33 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
You need to call L&V if you want to have cover with mods.

Their website doesn't accept it.
Old 14 September 2003, 08:00 PM
wildrider
Scooby Regular

mines with screentrade.co.uk - £509 comp. with protected and £100 excess.

Seems cheap as chips to me.

I'd give them ago.

Old 15 September 2003, 09:32 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Talking

I'd stick with main occupation and not mention my hobby. Your insurer is never likely to ask why you were somewhere when a claim is made and if you're asked to prove your occupation then you can.

I'm not one for holding back on modifications - I even declared that I put different tyres on as RE010's were crap, but if I'm asked my occupation then it's the one that pays me direct into my bank account every month.......
Old 17 September 2003, 10:43 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Alistair,

Insurance claim forms include a box for 'exact purpose of journey'. Suppose that purpose is that I'm coming home from a day's shoot, and that following a rear-end shunt I have a boot full of smashed camera gear. What exactly do I put in that box?

It's not worth the risk, IMHO.

Andy.
Old 17 September 2003, 09:35 PM
TomCat
Scooby Regular

When I made a total loss claim the insurance investigator was very thorough about my occupation & purpose of journey - specifically asked to meet me at my place of work, and asked me what my full route would have been for that specific journey (had I not parked the car upside down in a hedge!)

Axa.co.uk have given me my best renewal quote so far (661 vs 1,000 from elephant) but car is standard.
L&V seem to care least about mods.
Old 18 September 2003, 09:37 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

granted it's not a Scoob but Sainsburys bank have just given me a great quote for my A4 Turbo diesel! Drop me an email for details Andy.

Greg
Old 18 September 2003, 03:18 PM
Haxzer
Scooby Regular

Try http://www.norwichunion.com , I have MY00 Impreza Turbo, 28, no NCB and they were still £600 cheaper than every other person in the world!.

Good Luck.

Matt
Old 18 September 2003, 07:35 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

In that case I stand corrected !

You're absolutely right to declare everything.

Try here for insurance companies - I guess it's just a case of ringing round a few.