Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not telling Mr Insurance about my mods

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2003, 04:51 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good day people,
Hypothetically speaking:
If I had a WRX03 as standard and decided one day to fit and PPP kit and NOT tell the insurance company, what risks would I be taking by doing so? (in light of the fact that a policy upgrade incures massive costs).

a)if I had an accident or written-off.

How common is it for an insurance inspector to spot extra mods and would they be harsh enough to VOID my policy if found to be different from originally stated?

b)if it was stolen.

I guess an upgraded WRX is much less obvious to spot than having an STi insured as a WRX.

Comments appreciated.
Old 28 September 2003, 10:36 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

an insurance company will void your policy if you change anything from original manufacturers spec.I had a minor bump in my last car just needed new rear bumper whilst the car was in the bodyshop an insurance assessor turned up on a spot check.

Dave
Old 28 September 2003, 10:42 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Also to add if you just paid 20+k for your MY03 ppp and you plough it into a LAKE and it's written off and your insurers says frig that it's modified so we will pay you £0 can you afford to lose 20 grand
Old 29 September 2003, 12:04 AM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

Frank

They'll look at every aspect to see if they can get out of paying. You'll be on dodgy ground...

Cheers
Old 30 September 2003, 11:29 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

U need a powerflow exhaust or such that looks the same as a standard one. They aren't exactly gonna take the ECU out and read the maps...

Andy
Old 30 September 2003, 05:22 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

PPP ECU is dead easy to get to, and noticably different in looks to the standard one. If I was an insurance investigator, I'd spare the 2 mins it takes to check...
Old 30 September 2003, 06:18 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nowadays the engineers will check everything about the car....especially if its a Scoob...Evo...Skyline etc etc etc

Its not worth the risk...pay the £2k or whatever for the PPP and then the extra for the insurance increase...better safe than sorry

Rum
Old 30 September 2003, 06:23 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

once upon atime, many many years ago I had a mini. It was near 20 years old and absolutely immaculate. I was 18 at the time, and it was only a 1.0 litre. The previous owner had deseamed, flared arches and weller white wheels(anyone remember them??)

Anyway, one day it got nicked. I duly completed the claim and enclosed a photograph to show how good the condition was. Doh!, insurance coy refused payout because the wheels were non standard.

It was only worth £400 and my insurance was £350. They refunded my premium, BUT it could have been a very expensive lesson.

Trouble was for years after when they asked ever had a policy declined, refused or cancelled I had to own up. (no one seems to ask this these days)

Old 30 September 2003, 06:25 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Moral of the story, they refused payout when it would have cost them less (excess was £100)- they will defo not pay out on 20k.
Old 30 September 2003, 11:23 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Also the PPP upgrade will be certified by Subaru and registerd against your chassis number in the dealer computer system which would be pretty hard to blag your way out of should the insurance company contact them!

For stealth, an in situ ECUTek remap of your current ECU is pretty much undetectable though and will give similar gains to PPP.
Old 01 October 2003, 02:46 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Or insure it with Liverpool & Victoria - donth think they give a toss on mods unless the cubic capacity of the car is increased - just keep all mod receipts
Old 02 October 2003, 03:53 PM
lucasax
Scooby Newbie

Wink

why don't you compromise...raise your voluntary excess enough to keep premium at existing level....at least then if you do have a shunt..gets stolen etc your only be out of pocket by a couple of hundred rather than a potential £20K.....chances are none of that will happen and it won't cost you any more
Old 02 October 2003, 04:47 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Tell them, its not worth the risk on a 20 grand car.

simb
Old 02 October 2003, 05:10 PM
scooby stu!!
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I remember seeing a tv program a few years ago in which a girl
with a 1.4 golf had written it off and the insurers were refusing
to pay anything because she had put some of those dodgy GTI
stickers from halfords on the doors!!

Don't do it!!!!!

Stu
Old 04 October 2003, 02:26 AM
SW Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Nobody has seemed to mention that you will be breaking the law as your insurance will not be valid and therefore you will be driving without valid insurance.

One way of checking how much they are charging you is to check the premium rates for the STI. If they are lower than the WRX+PPP they are quoting, tell them that the car is less expensive but has the same power as the STI so why are they charging you more? I tried this and saved a couple of hundred quid by arguing the point forcibly!