Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do about Cat 2 immob certificate???

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2003, 01:43 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My insurance want an installation certificate for the Cat 2 immobiliser that is on my recently purchased car, but I dont have one, only the receipt from where it was fitted.

What can I do? I dont wan to fit another immob, but it is not covered for theft as is.

Any ideas?

Another thing - when agreeing the policy with them before I bought the car, we agreed that the engine upgrade upped power by 20%. The revised certficate of insurance lists it as 10%.

Is it worth me ringing them and advising? I would think they will want to charge me, but it is their fault - do I have any rights on it?
Old 02 October 2003, 04:33 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
The immob: Either ring the company that fitted it and ask them for another certificate, or take it along to a security company and get them to inspect what device is fitted and issue a letter confirming this. Either option may cost you £10 - £20.

As for your power increase ring them up and tell them what you told them at the quote stage, you can only try. Unless you have the quote in writing confirming 20%?

simb
Old 03 October 2003, 02:53 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Simon,

What car is it, mate ?

Who are the insurers ?

I wouldn't worry about the power hike percentage. As long as you have informed the insurers of the engine mods and they are okay with them, the fact that they have got the power increase wrong shouldn't be a problem.

In the event of a claim an insurance inspector would notice physical mods to your car, but they wouldn't go as far as putting it on a rolling road to check that the power output was right...

If you went back and told them that the power hike was more than the 10% they had specified, they would probably clobber you for some more brass for their trouble.

Whilst its always best to refer all mods you do to a car to your insurers, it generally doesn't hurt to be a little conservative with the BHP increase figures

hope this helps,

John
S.I.B.
Old 03 October 2003, 07:27 PM
Nelson15
Scooby Regular

If you wreck it then they're not exactly going to stick on a rolling road are they?
Old 05 October 2003, 12:14 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

John, car is 205 Mi16.

Only problem is, the standard power for the Mi engine is 160bhp, and the car with normal 1.9 engine is 130bhp, so they wouldnt need to RR it, they know there is 30bhp difference, i.e. over 20%

Although at the mo it probably only produces about 140bhp.
Old 05 October 2003, 12:15 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, insurance is Tesco (UK Insurance Ltd)