Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal Protection & Car Hire - Are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 04:11 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the title says - your views please, trying to think of how to get my renewal down.
Old 03 November 2003, 04:48 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who you with ? Legal always, car hire - is this because there is no courtesy car on policy or is it for fire/theft ?

Clive
Old 03 November 2003, 06:12 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Agree that legal cover is worth the cost. Car Hire may depend on your own circumstances.

Should you be involved in an accident which was either your fault or was caused by someone else who couldn't be traced (hit & run/ stolen car, etc.) and your car was off the road for a couple of weeks, how would you get by without a car? If you can rearrange things, use public transport, borrow wife's/parent's car when necessary, etc., then you can do without car hire cover. If you need the car for business and must be mobile, then you probably couldn't do without this cover.

If you haven't already done so, can you cut the annual mileage covered? No point paying for unlimited mileage cover if you're only doing 8K and can reduce the cost by telling the insurer this.

I assume that you've also cut the drivers covered to just yourself or named anyone else that might be driving, rather than going for "any drivers"?

The other option is to increase the excess that you will pay in the event of a claim.

Doug
Old 10 November 2003, 09:26 PM
giblet
Scooby Regular

I would strongly advise keeping the legal cover...cautionary tale

A few years back I had an incident where my motor was rear ended by company car driver not paying attention. If I remember right it was cos I had no legal cover that I had to chase the claim myself. Company car driver was back on the road within the week. Poor me knew nowt about the insurance business and it took 2 and a half months to get his insurance company to write my car off! One of my passengers had sustained slight whiplash injuries and had to take some time off work...didn't have anyone to help me with that either

Another bad experience with the car hire bolt on...Had a Peugeot 307 (family man - need the space) Car was involved in an accident and off the road for 3 months (that's another story!) Insurance company would only provide a group A car (ie Micra) No use to me with all the family "baggage" Morale of the story - check your entitlement!

Guess the same can be said about a lot of insurance related issues though - the cheapest policy isn't always the best!